• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2019] MVC Owner Update for Sheraton Owner

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
PLEASE all that is holy that it doesn't introduce even more products and terminology into our vocabularies! Eeeeeesh!
What... you don't want to use enrollable retro legacy flexoption homeoption staroption vacation club DC points as your trading currency?

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everything you’re saying is all speculation and contradictions. You can’t sit here and “call BS” as you said, on what the OP speculated that his VSE ownership will get him a certain amount of DC points “without doing anything else” with zero facts of your own. THEN go into your own speculation that you have to enroll your “old Vistana ownership” into something when there is absolutely nothing available to enroll it into.

Yes retro is a term used by VSE sales, I’ve heard it plenty of times. Being that I own resale and developer weeks they’ve always tried to get me to buy more to “retro” my resale weeks back into their system to count toward elite status.

I do have some questions. I’m not sure what flexoptions are. How do they differ from home options and star options? How much will I have to pay to enroll my Vistana weeks into the DC and how many DC Points will my ownership in VSE be worth? Will mandatory resale weeks be automatically included or excluded for enrollment? If you can’t answer, then you “calling BS” is just even more speculation.

I feel like you’re coming at people with speculation you believe to be facts. Then mixing terminology which is adding to confusion. It’s too early to go back but I believe you said they wanted you to buy more phantom flex options to reach a star level which is only available to flex VOI owners (which is false), then add in terms like “enrollment” which sounds a lot like retro a resale week to be brought back into the Vistana Signature Network. No wonder why there is confusion.

I am not trying to push speculation and BS. I was simply trying to explain the pitches that were being made based upon a Vistana road show sales pitch, and what is logical vs what is so darn speculative it is really a stretch to even say with a straight face. Please don't misstate what I said. There was never a comment about purchasing "phantom" options. No one ever said anything about buying phantom options to my knowledge, that is something you just said. I don't know where you get that idea. I really hate to reiterate it all. It also seems silly that in a continuous discussion board that a disclaimer must be placed on each and every response; in normal conversation the disclaimers (that this is what was communicated to me in a sales pitch, and that combined with my existing knowledge from the MVCI side, I'm simply trying to understand what potential options will be out there and what is logical vis-a-vis how to make owners of these now sister brands happy) are known and I would assume that they would be respected.

I'm not making this up - when I attended the sales pitch the program was identified as a Vistana update and the first slide said welcome to the "Westin Flexible Connection." The sales staff (who was from the Rancho Mirage Westin resort) used the terms "Vistana FlexOptions" "Westin Home Options" "Westin Flex Home Options" "Westin Flex HomeResorts" and just plain old "FlexOptions" - this was both verbally and in the printed information on the screen. I told the sales folks that the different terms were confusing and in fact, my first question was what the heck is going on with the terminology and what happened to the term "StarOptions". The answer was "Vistana is no longer selling deeded weeks, and is only selling points known as the Westin Flexible Connection program, represented by a deed recorded in FL."

My discussion about the phantom options was simply to identify the approach Vistana is taking for MVCI owners (both weeks and DPs) to give some recognition to that ownership. It is not for sale, the concept is that Vistana will recognize my MVCI ownership and count that ownership as "phantom" options that then elevates my owner level within the Vistana program. If you are at all familiar with the MVCI DP program, you would know that, as an example, Executive level owners are granted "platinum" BonVoy status. It is a recognition of an owner level. I did not have to buy anything from BonVoy to be recognized as a platinum level member (meaning, I did not have to earn it the old fashioned way by staying the 600 nights and having 10 years of gold level membership).

So, if Vistana is going to give me recognition for my MVCI ownership (capping it at some number), in order to give me a higher owner star status in the Westin Flexible Connection program, then it is logical that there may be something similar that MVCI will do for Vistana owners to recognize that separate ownership. And that concept is what got my attention because the OP was about receiving credit for his Westin ownership in the MVCI Destination Points program.

But from a logical viewpoint, keep in mind that Vistana is now under the MVW umbrella. It is a sister corp to MVCI. MVW made the money off of the MVCI sales to its owners, but MVW did not make the money on the sales of the Vistana, formerly Starwood, timeshare vacation week sales. That money went to Starwood when Westin (and Sheraton vacation clubs etc) were owned by Starwood.

We know factually that Starwood and Marriott agreed to a merger on the hotel side. As part of that transaction, in 2016 Starwood spun off its timeshare business as Vistana. After the timeshare business then named Vistana was spun off, Vistana merged with a wholly owned subsidiary of ILG. That was also in 2016. Then, in April 2018, MVW acquired ILG, which included Vistana. But all of the prior timeshare sales did not financially benefit MVW.

Thus, I'm suspicious that there is going to be parity among Vistana and MVCI in regards to the owners who bought the timeshare weeks previously being sold by Vistana (and I'm using Vistana to include Starwood prior to the spin off of Vistana, as well as Vistana prior to the MVW acquisition of ILG).

Thus, I circle back to the OP, as well as various folks who I have seen making comments (not necessarily on this thread) that they just couldn't wait for "the merger" to be complete and to be able to use their Westin weeks to book MVCI locations. I'm incredibly skeptical that will ever happen, because there was no "merger." Vistana and MVCI are now sister corporations. When I've attended sales pitches aka owner updates, I've inquired as to how will the timeshares integrate access without the need to use the Interval platform. We know now that if I want to use my MVCI ownership to stay at Westin resort, I have to do that via Interval. I cannot go directly from MVCI to any of the "Vistana" resorts, which include timeshares originally sold as Sheratons and Westins.

From the MVCI side, not one sales person has stated anything about here how that is going to work. Rather, the routine sales pitch is there was the acquisition of 46 resorts and Marriott is working on determining how its owners are going to be able to access those new resorts, so when it finally is figured out, you better buy more points now because they are going to be real expensive. (That's the standard sales pitch I heard and it was consistent among sales folks).

From the Vistana side, I was told that with Steve Weiss now being the company president that Vistana is operating under, corporate has received significant inquiries from existing Vistana timeshare owners wanting to know how they are going to be able to use their existing ownership to access MVCI locations, and thus sales was instructed to go out and educate its owners about what to expect. And, I'm confident that there was also the hope that getting out there with the road shows would also increase point sales.

It was from that perspective that the Vistana sales folks pitched the sale of points aka FlexOptions under the banner "Westin Flexible Connection". I can't answer your questions about how do they differ from home options and star options. I don't know how old ownership is going to gain access to the "Westin Flexible Connection". I don't know anything about retro or resale, I'd never heard that term in relation to my existing Vistana ownership at Nanea. No one said anything to me this month pitching a sale of "retro" Vistana weeks. Indeed, quite to the contrary, I was advised in no uncertain terms that Vistana is no longer selling timeshare weeks and is only selling points ownership in the FL land trust.

I was told that I could buy into the points program and there would be a way to integrate my existing Vistana ownership (ie still keep my deed), but I did not bother to explore that discussion because: (1) I'd already been there for almost 2 hours, and (2) I have no plan or desire to buy into the Westin Flexible Connection program and I am not going to buy any FlexOptions. PERIOD. FULL STOP.

As part of this thread, JIMinNC was talking about there must be some uniformity in treatment between the old MVCI owners and how they were allowed to enroll their ownership into the DP program and old Vistana owners who should be able to get some sort of credit for those weeks. That was when we started a discussion, albeit all speculation, regarding the potential (for lack of a better term) enrollment. It is the CONCEPT of enrollment. I do not understand why it is difficult to understand the concept. I never said that it was a done deal, and I was unsure of how it would work, but I was informed by the Vistana sales folks that there would be some way to do it. But I did not care, it is not important to me. Someone else in this feed criticized me for not learning more about that concept. Ok - whatever, sorry to disappoint that person. It did not matter to me. I don't know how someone cannot grasp my statement that I did not care to learn more about that because it was not important to me.

More importantly, back to the Vistana pitch, the big picture concept is that while they do not know how the different name branded resorts could possibly be integrated, the sales manager said that they have been advised that corporate is working to determine an "exchange rate" between the two different "currencies" that exist under the MVW umbrella, that is, the Destination Points program sold by MVCI and the FlexOptions sold by Vistana under the Westin Flexible Connection program.

This is where the sales pitches actually met. The Vistana sales staff was pitching buy lots of FlexOptions now in the form of points under the Westin Flexible Connection program, because those are going to be really valuable and the price will go up because in the near future, they will be the currency that is required to be able to access the MVCI resorts. (As you can see, that is quite similar to the MVCI sales pitch of buy more DPs now, because the price will go up and that will be the only way to access the new Westin and Sheraton resorts that were part of the acquisition.)

I don't even recall who it was in this feed, but someone criticized me falsely claiming that I was saying there was a new (third) point program, or something strange like that. I never said that I suspected there would be a new (third) point program introduced, nor did I ever say that there would be a new program introduced. I said that folks need to remember that there was no merger of the programs.

I do believe that it is logical to attempt to integrate sister brands via an exchange rate that fairly values the different "currencies" owners hold. This also struck me as very logical given that after the acquisition was announced, I understood that as to the existing timeshare resorts that had been branded Westin or Sheraton, MVW was taking over operational management of the previously sold ownership, and was also obtaining all unsold inventory, and it was that unsold inventory that MVW would then be focused on selling or marketing in the future. No, I was never told that the inventory was going to continue to be sold directly, which is why the concept of the Vistana land trust selling points as the Westin Flexible Connection, pitching 8 "home" resorts accessible with FlexOptions made logical sense. Operations continue at each former Starwood timeshare resort, and there would not be any operational impact, old owners would still be able to book their weeks as they have been when it was managed by Starwood, and that the "old" and "new" would basically be on parallel paths. All new sales would be a different program than the old sales. It looks like that is indeed what has transpired. We are continuing to see the reveal of how the timeshare ownership worlds will co-exist under the MVW umbrella. So, IMO, an exchange rate makes sense.

I really hope that answers your questions. I do not know any other way to make it clear that I'm not trying to simply speculate and toss BS against the wall. It is very complicated.

tshd

Reaction score
After reading all these posts about the many iterations of the Vistana program, I'm feeling as though there would need to be a completely separate program rather than just an exchange rate. While I don't own Vistana, I do own DVC which is much more like Vistana than DCP as in both Vistana and DVC have an extended home booking priority. In the DC program, there is no "home" resort. It seems to me that there would need to be some way to preserve that home priority and block others who don't own in that group from booking until the home priority is lifted. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that priority is guaranteed, otherwise what is the point of the different types of Flex programs. This is why I speculated earlier that I thought a combined program will have more effect on DP owners than on Vistana.

It's a given that everyone is guaranteed a week at their home resort if they so choose, that is why most folks would never sell back a week for points. The mantra here is that with DC nothing changed for weeks owners in the trading world either, a week deposited in DC means one less owner trying to trade in II; I beg to differ. While this is true on the surface, if I always used to deposit a Hawaii l/o into II and now I don't, that means there are two less Hawaii weeks in II. Multiply that by many owners and I would say that is a significant difference. If I had been used to easily using my summer desert week for an II match into Hawaii. I know folks are still able to do this if they know how to use the system, but I'm pretty sure great trades used to be easier prior to the introduction of DCP. It's not all Henny Penny. Since some folks have a substantial amount of money in TS and have been used to how the game is currently played, I don't think it's unreasonable to wonder how a change might effect their ownership, for better or worse, rather than just sitting back and waiting for a surprise announcement, like what happened overnight with DCP. I think that was the point of the OP posting what he heard in the first place. It is all just speculation, but so is a puzzle, without the picture on the box, until it gets completed. Does it mean that people never attempt the puzzle just because they don't know what the end result will be; I don't think so!

So here are some of my suppositions.

If there are a fixed number of units available per week in a particular resort in WestinFlex and an owner elects to go to Marriott instead of another unit in WestinFlex, wouldn't that unit need to be in a separate pot, so that DC members don't have access to all WestinFlex units that are available during the home priority. Or would that unit somehow need to be preserved for other WestinFlex owners during that period. In DVC, I can borrow points from another ownership, but I can't use those points (even combined with my home points) to book during the home priority. This seems very similar to the way that HomeOptions cannot be combined with StarOptions during the home priority period, because they are attached to different inventory. Just because I transfer points out of one ownership into another, it doesn't mean that any reservations are open to "non home" owners, it just means that there is more inventory for home resort owners to book because I am no longer playing in that pool of inventory. It seems to me that Vistana would work the same way, but I'm not familiar with the legalities of Vistana ownership.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure that home priority needs to be protected, therefore, doesn't it seem more likely that Vistana owners will gravitate more toward DCP reservations (especially in areas where the inventory overlaps, namely Hawaii) since there is no home priority to contend with and anyone can book at 12 months or 13 months if they have enough points to have priority. Am I wrong to think it would be disruptive to me to allow someone who has a ton of StarOptions bought resale to have priority over me as an existing DCP member, if an enrollment offer was made to Vistana owners that is similar to the original DCP enrollment? But because of the way DCP is structured with no home priority, I believe that there is nothing preventing MVCI from offering anything they wish to offer when it comes to DCP. And while it might piss some people off, it also provides an incentive to buy more points.

I know I'm opening myself up to criticism, but does anyone think I'm way off base with my thinking, even though it is all just speculation?

Last edited:

tshd

Reaction score
The one thing we all know for sure is that MVW(?) will do whatever makes more money!!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

SGould

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at Westin Los Cabos and they haven’t even offered an owners update. I really wanted to attend to question them on everything mentioned in multiple threads.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I don’t even think his will happen in 2020. We may see some benefit such as interchangeable priority across brands through interval in the short term.
I was on it back in August LOL

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I was on it back in August LOL
I remember not many listened that time.

I think it’s Vistana owners gain a lot by having 2nd priority in Marriott exchange. Now Vistana owners can really explore to more locations.

For MVC owners having 2nd priority into Vistana really add nothing. They will not have any chance to exchange into St John, Harborside or Nanea/Maui. Cancun and Los Cobos will probably the only exchanges available outside of Vistana priority.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I remember not many listened that time.

I think it’s Vistana owners gain a lot by having 2nd priority in Marriott exchange. Now Vistana owners can really explore to more locations.

For MVC owners having 2nd priority into Vistana really add nothing. They will not have any chance to exchange into St John, Harborside or Nanea/Maui. Cancun and Los Cobos will probably the only exchanges available outside of Vistana priority.
They will prob get nanea I would think. But correct, I’ve never seen harborside in interval even as a harborside owner! Forget St John. I’d assume that would be difficult. But this helps us. On it from the get go lol

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looks like both DC points and Staroptions will stay. There will be a exchange currency ratio for both programs, and it seems both programs will stay intact.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Looks like both DC points and Staroptions will stay. There will be a exchange currency ratio for both programs, and it seems both programs will stay intact.
What makes you say that? That’s what I said originally. That you would have to deposit/convert your current out of respective networks into another network and book with inventory MVC controls as well as what’s being converted. But others know more about inventory trust legality more than I do. Either way, the step one interval priority exchange was correctly speculated.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Still seems to be speculation from a sales rep? We have no idea how any of this will work yet. I attended another presentation at SVV today for 25K Bonvoy points. They tried touting the VSN will go away bit again until challenged, then it would be that inventory would simply dwindle inside VSN when people start converting over. I challenged saying that as of 10 years after Marriott switched to DC, only about 50% of their ownership has actually enrolled their weeks in DC. So I suspect inventory will live on inside VSN for quite a while, especially if they try to extract some type of initiation fee to participate in a new program.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Still seems to be speculation from a sales rep? We have no idea how any of this will work yet. I attended another presentation at SVV today for 25K Bonvoy points. They tried touting the VSN will go away bit again until challenged, then it would be that inventory would simply dwindle inside VSN when people start converting over. I challenged saying that as of 10 years after Marriott switched to DC, only about 50% of their ownership has actually enrolled their weeks in DC. So I suspect inventory will live on inside VSN for quite a while, especially if they try to extract some type of initiation fee to participate in a new program.
Well if inventory dwindles then I guess we would be able to enroll our SVV weeks into something new? Unless they sell SVV off which is a concern in the back of my mind. The new CEO said something about evaluating locations where they have redundant properties. Orlando comes to mind. I wonder if they would keep SVR over SVV.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Well if inventory dwindles then I guess we would be able to enroll our SVV weeks into something new? Unless they sell SVV off which is a concern in the back of my mind. The new CEO said something about evaluating locations where they have redundant properties. Orlando comes to mind. I wonder if they would keep SVR over SVV.
Or if they only allow Flex and DC trusts to enroll in whatever is new. That seems to be what was implied today.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Or if they only allow Flex and DC trusts to enroll in whatever is new. That seems to be what was implied today.
Ah right, yeah that bag of goods was sold to me when they tried getting me to retro mandatory deeds buy buying a flex plan saying owning flex is the only way to play in a new system. This was a year ago. Well how does that bring HRA into play? Since that’s not part of flex.....I guess I’ll be good with that inventory. Not to mention plenty of mandatory owners aren’t giving back their weeks so; most of the good resorts are either not in flex (WSJ/HRA) or are mandatory deeds being held onto like those who own WKORV/N so I think VSN owners should be A-OK.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is what I was told few weeks ago with an VSN sales call. He tried to convince me to retro mandatory weeks with $10k. I said until I know What will happen to VSN, I have no interest in retro. That sales said “I guarantee VSN will stay.”

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
This is what I was told few weeks ago with an VSN sales call. He tried to convince me to retro mandatory weeks with $10k. I said until I know What will happen to VSN, I have no interest in retro. That sales said “I guarantee VSN will stay.”
A year ago I Was told “this is the last month it’s going to be 10K to retro” I guess it was the last month every month for a year hahah. Once the VSN goes away, so do I :) as I maintained, It could be possible only flex, developer sold contracts, and retroactive resales could be eligible to be part of a new program and all other mandatory resales would stay in VSN without being able to play. Maybe they read these and like my ideas. In which case I have many and would be willing to consult. Ya here that MVC....... pay me lol

when the above happens I’ll make sure to come back here and point that out LOL

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

What Executive Management said back in October during their Investor Day presentation on Wall Street was "a common points currency" would be coming in second half 2020. I think that could be some exchange ratio as you suggest. But he then went on to say that a second phase with a timetable TBD would be transitioning to selling one single points product across all of the Marriott/Westin/Sheraton brands. So seemingly, after Phase 2 is implemented either StarOptions, Destination Points, or both would disappear, at least for new sales. One of the two existing may be chosen as the survivor or a totally new product t developed. I assume existing owners could not be forced to convert to the new product, and whatever common points currency/exchange ratio is developed for Phase 1 would continue to function for those who do not "upgrade".

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The new CEO said something about evaluating locations where they have redundant properties. Orlando comes to mind. I wonder if they would keep SVR over SVV.

There were statements made in the last earnings call about disposition of non-strategic assets, or something phrased like that. Some here on TUG read that to mean they might divest some of the resorts, but I think they were mainly talking about undeveloped land which they no longer need.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
There were statements made in the last earnings call about disposition of non-strategic assets, or something phrased like that. Some here on TUG read that to mean they might divest some of the resorts, but I think they were mainly talking about undeveloped land which they no longer need.
I hope that’s what he meant. I’d hate to leave the VSE/MVC umbrella. I thought I read there was undeveloped land in SVV they sold?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I hope that’s what he meant. I’d hate to leave the VSE/MVC umbrella. I thought I read there was undeveloped land in SVV they sold?
They haven't sold the undeveloped land at SVV yet, or at least if they have it isn't announced. They did sell off some land at Harbour Lake a while back.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
They haven't sold the undeveloped land at SVV yet, or at least if they have it isn't announced. They did sell off some land at Harbour Lake a while back.
HL is maybe what I was thinking of. I just hope they keep SVV in network. I’d think they would.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Also FYI @CPNY and @dioxide45, this is from a December 19 press release. Seems to support the theory that the strategic dispositions are undeveloped parcels:

ORLANDO, Fla., Dec. 19, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Marriott Vacations Worldwide (NYSE: VAC) announced today that it has closed the sale of excess parcels in Cancun, Mexico and Avon, Colorado for more than $60 million as part of its strategic decision to reduce holdings in markets where it has excess supply.

"This is the first step in our strategy to dispose of $160 million to $220 million of non-strategic assets, which we announced during our recent investor day," said John Geller, executive vice president and chief financial and administrative officer.

The Company expects to report a gain from the sales, which will be excluded from its 2019 Adjusted EBITDA, and cash proceeds will be excluded from its Adjusted Free Cash Flow.