• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Millennials and Timeshares - interview with DRI CEO

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Despite being scripted, the Diamond CEO's response to deedbacks provided clues of a deeply dysfunctional anti-customer culture e.g. We will deedback if the owner did everything expected of them including paying all the bills...

This statement rubbed me the wrong way. What about Diamond delivering everything the CUSTOMER expected*. Customer expectations include:
  • Fair MF. Not inflating MF to Marriott levels for 3* resorts resulting in overpriced value compared to similar-class hotels in the area.
  • Avoiding sales threats. Preventing sales from threatening owners with more fees on weeks they already paid for if they don't sign up for their latest program.
  • Honesty. Not making false promises and placing undue pressure on unsuspecting buyers during presentations
  • Providing error free IT infrastructure and customer service i.e. not siphoning off operating fees from MF to profit resulting in poor corporate management instead of re-investing in operational improvement.

* The above bullets are summarized from statements made by Diamond owners and former Diamond owners on TUG.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I cringed listening to him. He just came across so untrustworthy.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
Wow! I gave up on Yahoo as an information source years ago and this just reinforces why. An obvious promotional ad for DRI disguised as a Yahoo Finance interview. I know infomercials have been standard advertising venues for some time but at least most of the time they have disclaimers to identify them. As a HGVC owner perspective from this "interview" makes me even more nervous regarding the potential deal.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Wow! I gave up on Yahoo as an information source years ago and this just reinforces why. An obvious promotional ad for DRI disguised as a Yahoo Finance interview. I know infomercials have been standard advertising venues for some time but at least most of the time they have disclaimers to identify them. As a HGVC owner perspective from this "interview" makes me even more nervous regarding the potential deal.
Is DRI buying HGVC?

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
definitely a canned response to the resale question...i was actually surprised that they even asked it. no surprise that they didnt mention the cost to the owner to "give back" a dri timeshare.

He also didn't mention the fact that if people purchased from a company who was bought out by Diamond, they are not eligible for the Transitions program. I have also been reading (on a Diamond Facebook group) that Diamond will not allow heirs to refuse one of their timeshares after an owners death as other companies do. Their legal team continue to harass the executor and any relatives for maintenance fees long after the estate is settled.

I think the music program he spoke of is just another way to sucker people into purchasing from them, then when people try to use their points to book something like that they find out they don't have enough points or are otherwise ineligible.

~Diane

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Is DRI buying HGVC?
So far it is only a rumor perhaps purposefully leaked by Apollo/Diamond (a trial balloon or other hidden agenda) that only showed up in a tabloid so far. It has not hit any mainstream business media and no statements have been made by HGVC or Blackstone. If anything serious happens HGVC would be required by the SEC to disclose.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
He also didn't mention the fact that if people purchased from a company who was bought out by Diamond, they are not eligible for the Transitions program. I have also been reading (on a Diamond Facebook group) that Diamond will not allow heirs to refuse one of their timeshares after an owners death as other companies do. Their legal team continue to harass the executor and any relatives for maintenance fees long after the estate is settled.

~Diane

Wow...just wow. If true, it's activities like this that give the TS industry a bad name. They don't have any legal recourse on the heirs or their credit rating but continue to harass?

The worst part I have heard that if collections get even a penny for the debt or even acknowledge the debt, I believe that could reset the debt clock and potentially extend the statute of limitations the estate is legally liable for the entire amount. https://www.thebalance.com/what-can-restart-the-debt-statute-of-limitations-960889

I am not a lawyer but would love someone with a legal background to weigh in as to whether this could affect heirs. Can an heir can be held liable for the debt if they pay or even acknowledge their parent's debt? Can a TS company sue against the estate assets? Can estate assets be clawed back from the beneficiaries to pay an outstanding debt? OTOH who cares if the estate earns a bad credit rating and refuses to pay...it's not going to need credit anytime soon..

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
https://finance.yahoo.com/video/impact-millennial-travelers-timeshares-165057427.html

sounded a bit more like a DRI ad than an informational interview, but an interesting watch nonetheless.

definitely a canned response to the resale question...i was actually surprised that they even asked it. no surprise that they didnt mention the cost to the owner to "give back" a dri timeshare.

Yes, not to mention the loss of 20 k plus if one buys from them directly because they don’t take mortgages timeshares.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

karibkeith

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Diamond CEO talked about the Events of a Lifetime. Not only do they use these to sell new buyers, but they are regular offerings to current owners. The good news is that they are really good events. The bad news is you are obligated to attend a two hour presentation where each hour consists of a at least 120 minutes. As good as the event may be, I would rather drill a hole in my head than ever attend another "update" which is thinly disguised as a sales presentation.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Despite being scripted, the Diamond CEO's response to deedbacks provided clues of a deeply dysfunctional anti-customer culture e.g. We will deedback if the owner did everything expected of them including paying all the bills...

Spot on! And the CEO conveniently omitted the fact that Diamond charges $1,000 per contract/deed to take it back.

shoeie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow...just wow. If true, it's activities like this that give the TS industry a bad name. They don't have any legal recourse on the heirs or their credit rating but continue to harass?

The worst part I have heard that if collections get even a penny for the debt or even acknowledge the debt, I believe that could reset the debt clock and potentially extend the statute of limitations the estate is legally liable for the entire amount. https://www.thebalance.com/what-can-restart-the-debt-statute-of-limitations-960889

I am not a lawyer but would love someone with a legal background to weigh in as to whether this could affect heirs. Can an heir can be held liable for the debt if they pay or even acknowledge their parent's debt? Can a TS company sue against the estate assets? Can estate assets be clawed back from the beneficiaries to pay an outstanding debt? OTOH who cares if the estate earns a bad credit rating and refuses to pay...it's not going to need credit anytime soon..

I am a lawyer and I can briefly explain a few things, with the obvious caveat that this should not be construed as legal advice, all individual situations can vary, and if you believe you may need legal advice, you should contact an attorney.

1. There is generally no way to force someone to accept an inheritance. If someone leaves you a timeshare, whether through their estate plan or via the intestacy laws if your state, you don’t have to take it. But, if you do accept the title or deed, then yeah, it’s yours and you’re on the hook for MF’s, etc.

2. With regard to any debt of a decedent (credit card, TS, car loan, etc.), it is common and accepted practice to see if someone else will assume the debt. A perfect example, my father-in-law died 10 years ago, and he owed balances on 3 credit cards. As soon as the companies discovered he was dead, they call and ask questions like, “will you be making arrangement to assume the balance?” Or, “is anyone accepting the payments?” This is legal. They are hoping a grieving spouse or child will assume they have a legal duty to pay their loved one’s debts. They don’t. But as soon as that person says “yes.” On a recorded line, there is a significant argument that they’ve assumed that debt. For this reason, I took all of these calls, rather than my MIL. And the answer is no. The estate is responsible for the debt, but most creditors know the average American estate is $0. So, yes, they can file a claim in probate against the estate, however, most won’t. They have built into their business model this portion of uncollectible debt.

3. Paying on a debt that is past the statute of limitations can reset that statute of limitations. Debt collectors, again, prey on folks ignorance of the law. The average person doesn’t know the statute of limitations for collecting on a debt in their state, nor do they know the requirements of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

dandjane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Walk (Platinum UDI) Wyndham Access (Platinum trust), Wyndham National Harbor (Platinum UDI), HGVC Deed at Kingsland, HI, HGV Max (Premiere Plus) Trust
I heartily "second that emotion" - first time I've seen or heard him, and yes, he's definitely cringe-worthy.
This forum and TUG in general is the ONLY place a person can get straight talk and honest opinions.

dandjane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Walk (Platinum UDI) Wyndham Access (Platinum trust), Wyndham National Harbor (Platinum UDI), HGVC Deed at Kingsland, HI, HGV Max (Premiere Plus) Trust
The Diamond CEO talked about the Events of a Lifetime. Not only do they use these to sell new buyers, but they are regular offerings to current owners. The good news is that they are really good events. The bad news is you are obligated to attend a two hour presentation where each hour consists of a at least 120 minutes. As good as the event may be, I would rather drill a hole in my head than ever attend another "update" which is thinly disguised as a sales presentation.
The "Presentations" following the EOLs we've been to lately have been guaranteed to be 60 mins. max., and the last one at Daytona Beach was 45 mins. Maybe the required time varies by region or district sales manager (?)

dandjane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

If you let the Yahoo site continue after Flaskey's performance, you'll see more "ads", presented by other CEOs, all very much in the same vein. Yahoo "Finance" is indeed a FARCE.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score

I’m not sure I can respond because I couldn’t listen to him. I listened to him for about 10 seconds, fast forwarded and listened to 10 seconds, fast forwarded and listen to about 8 seconds, then I just closed the window. That was painful. That’s 30 seconds of my life that I won’t get back.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have nothing to support this but it doesn’t seem like timeshares are a millennial thing like mayonnaise and traditional dog food. ;)

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We were in a timeshare this week with a friend, she invited her millenial son to join us for a day at the pool and we cooked dinner in the unit.

He was convinced he would get a better deal booking a hotel/airfare travel package, and thus would have maid service and eat out all meals. There was no use trying to convince him otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

skimeup

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
I am a lawyer and I can briefly explain a few things, with the obvious caveat that this should not be construed as legal advice, all individual situations can vary, and if you believe you may need legal advice, you should contact an attorney.

1. There is generally no way to force someone to accept an inheritance. If someone leaves you a timeshare, whether through their estate plan or via the intestacy laws if your state, you don’t have to take it. But, if you do accept the title or deed, then yeah, it’s yours and you’re on the hook for MF’s, etc.

2. With regard to any debt of a decedent (credit card, TS, car loan, etc.), it is common and accepted practice to see if someone else will assume the debt. A perfect example, my father-in-law died 10 years ago, and he owed balances on 3 credit cards. As soon as the companies discovered he was dead, they call and ask questions like, “will you be making arrangement to assume the balance?” Or, “is anyone accepting the payments?” This is legal. They are hoping a grieving spouse or child will assume they have a legal duty to pay their loved one’s debts. They don’t. But as soon as that person says “yes.” On a recorded line, there is a significant argument that they’ve assumed that debt. For this reason, I took all of these calls, rather than my MIL. And the answer is no. The estate is responsible for the debt, but most creditors know the average American estate is $0. So, yes, they can file a claim in probate against the estate, however, most won’t. They have built into their business model this portion of uncollectible debt.

3. Paying on a debt that is past the statute of limitations can reset that statute of limitations. Debt collectors, again, prey on folks ignorance of the law. The average person doesn’t know the statute of limitations for collecting on a debt in their state, nor do they know the requirements of the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

How can I find out what the statute of limitations is in my state (California)?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Spot on! And the CEO conveniently omitted the fact that Diamond charges $1,000 per contract/deed to take it back.

Is that the total fee? Do they also require legacy owners to pay thousands to upgrade to the latest program before they can exit?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have nothing to support this but it doesn’t seem like timeshares are a millennial thing like mayonnaise and traditional dog food. ;)
They aren't, but how many boomers were buying timeshares in their 20s and 30s. They say that millenials prefer Air BnB and don't like the commitment that timeshare require. Though, they fail to mention that as they age, start or grow a family, their priorities will change and some of them will likely be a timeshare owner at some point in their lives.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
He was convinced he would get a better deal booking a hotel/airfare travel package, and thus would have maid service and eat out all meals.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. There are some who, after comparing hotels/motels with timeshares, feel that hotels and motels suit their tastes better because of daily maid service (who wants to clean while on vacation?) and eating out (who wants to cook while on vacation?).

In cases where renting a hotel/motel room is cheaper than, or even equal to, renting a TS unit (or paying the MFs), some like the idea of hotels too because of the daily breakfast that some serve (again, for some, who wants to cook while on vacation?) and many will reason that they are at their destination to explore the sights rather than dwell in your accommodation units. Thus, many will feel that the extra amenities of a TS unit are redundant, that accommodations on vacation are just a place to lay your head at night and get showered and dressed, and that one does not need to pay the extra cost of a TS over a hotel (when the cost of a TS is greater than that of a hotel/motel).

But, again, different strokes for different folks and to each his own.