• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Rules for Traveling Along Kauai's Spectacular North Shore Past Hanalei

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have an upcoming trip to Kauai and plan on going to the North Shore, this thread on TripAdvisor's Kauai Travel Forum might be helpful. It's a long thread, but has regular updates on what's going on. https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTop...-o100-The_Road_Past_Hanalei-Kauai_Hawaii.html (See post below)

Visiting Haena State Park (by car, bike, on foot) now requires a pass, which you can buy up to two weeks in advance. There are only 100 parking spaces, so if you are driving, you need to reserve a spot for either 6:30am-12:30pm or 12:30pm through the end of the day. The afternoon permits sell out fast, so book early. People are reportedly buying more than one pass (one at a time). Parking permits are $5/car and include entry for all passengers. The park website is: https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/dsp/parks/kauai/haena-state-park/
If you're not into walking or biking in, another other option is to buy a ticket for the hourly hop-on/hop-off shuttle bus @ $11/per person (includes the $1/pp park entry fee). The shuttle website is: https://kauainsshuttle.com/reservations/ and https://kauainsshuttle.com/shuttlestops/ It has just started, so how it will handle the flow of tourists will be interesting.

From the TripAdvisor Kauai Travel Forum on June 21, 2019:

jebett
California

Latest notice about closures, speed bumps, no parking zones, night work and time to get out of the area next week etc

NORTH SHORE UPDATE: Full weekend closure July 12-15, speed bumps coming, no parking zone, 25 mph limit, more...

Contractors will continue to work on Waikoko and Waipa Bridges on a Monday through Saturday basis between 5 a.m. and 7 p.m. The majority of work will take place off the highway, but there may be delays as work trucks access the construction sites.

Night work on Waipa Bridge is scheduled for Tuesday, June 25 through Thursday, June 27 between the hours of 7:30 p.m. and 5 a.m. Waipa Bridge will close to all vehicular traffic at the start of the night work. Park and Ride sites, pedestrian access, and a shuttle between the Park and Ride and Wainiha is available for residents and authorized TVR guests.

As a reminder, the second full weekend closure of Kuhio Highway at Waipa Bridge is scheduled for July 12-15. This closure was scheduled to avoid the weekends of the Haena to Hanalei Run and the July 4th Holiday weekend. Wainiha and Haena residents and other authorized placard-holders should retain their placards for access during bridge nightwork and the full weekend closure in July. Additional details will be provided when the schedule is finalized.

Additionally, motorists are advised of the following:

• The Waipa Park and Ride created to provide access to residents and authorized TVR guests during the Waikoko Bridge night work and full closure is only open for residents and authorized TVR guests. All vehicles remaining at this site when the road reopens for the day should be removed.

• All motorists are asked to observe the posted 25 mph speed limits on Kuhio Highway, and to slow down at Waikoko and Waipa Bridges for their safety and the safety of the workers.

• HDOT will be installing speed humps leading up to the Waioli, Waipa and Waikoko Bridges on the North Shore as a traffic calming pilot measure. This will be the first time speed humps will be installed on a state highway on Kauai. Should this pilot be successful, HDOT will consider installing the humps (which have a lower profile than speed bumps) in appropriate locations across the island.

• A “no parking” zone has been established between Haena Place and Kee Beach. Parking along Kuhio Highway in this zone is a violation of Chapter 291C-111 of the Hawaii Revised Statutes and could result in fines of $200.

• Access to the Department of Land and Natural Resources’ Haena State Park is by reservation. More information is available at https://www.gohaena.com/

• Information on the community-run Kauai North Shore Shuttle is available at https://www.hanaleiinitiative.org/

Source: Kūhiō Highway Emergency Repairs Team

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Are you planning a trip to Kauai, by any chance. :) The police regularly ticket people north of Hanalei.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep! I planned a big family trip well before the flooding. We love the north shore, but I'm glad I didn't book both weeks in Princeville.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Are you planning a trip to Kauai, by any chance. :) The police regularly ticket people north of Hanalei.

Now I know I am not getting a car when we go to Hawaii this year. I have seen on Hawaii 5-0 what they do in that basement room to people who break the law and I am not going to set myself up with a car so they can get me. I will walk or take the bus in Honolulu! (I couldn't help joking about this even though I know for some of you it is a serious concern, Aloha)

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Kauai now. I didn't know about the reservation system for Ha'ena State Park, and fortunately got one of the few spots at Ha'ena State Beach just before the state park. There was a Monk Seal that was staying nearby, and was swimming back and forth for several hours at the beach. Quite a fun day there! And I didn't know that had I tried to park at any closer to Ke'e Beach, I would have had a problem not having a parking pass. Just checked online, and it's not easy to get a parking pass at all. Even the shuttles are difficult to reserve. If anyone plans to visit the Ke'e, they should definitely get online two weeks before the trip to reserve the shuttle or a parking space. (Or plan to arrive VERY early at Ha'ena State Beach.)

Having a lovely time on the garden island!!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Staying on the North Shore now. Current observations/comparisons with previous years.

• The most affected area is Ke'e Beach. You can no longer drive to the end of the road at Ke'e Beach. The area where there was a rough, deeply potholed overflow parking area is as far as you can go. Beyond that there is a gate.
  • The old overflow parking area has been improved and is now the parking area for Ke'e Beach. If you get a parking reservation that is where you will be parking. But just before you get to that lot there is a checkpoint, where they will verify that you have a parking permit. If not, you will be turned away.
  • At Ha'ena Beach, the situation is unchanged from prior to the flooding. There is still the parking area at the beach, where you can grab any available spot. Most of the day there are no spots available, and cars queue up at the entrance to the Ha'ena Beach parking lot, waiting for people to depart.
  • A big change is that along much of the road, parking by the side of the road is not prohibited. This increases the pressure on those spots where parking is available, such as Ha'ena Beach. You need to pay close attention to signage to know where parking is allowed and where it isn't.
  • Island radio regularly broadcasts PSAs that say that parking is no longer allowed at Ha'ena State Park and encouraging people to use the shuttle. As noted above, though, parking is still allowed at Ha'ena Beach. The PSAs do not mention Ke'e beach or park at all. IMHO - this seems like a deliberate effort to make visitors thing the restrictions are more draconian than is actually the case.
  • The small side road off of the highway that goes toward Tunnels is still there. But, as before, it fills up quickly. Unlike other visits to the area, we didn't see any private residents allowing parking on their property for a fee. Perhaps that has been outlawed?
We didn't take the shuttle. We found parking on a side street near the YMCA camp, where there was a beach access that was about midway between Tunnels and Kepuhi beaches. The outlet from the trail is on a stretch of beach that is not very good for water activities. But the distance from there to Tunnels is about the same as the distance from Ke'e to Tunnels.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You will want to make reservations for parking passes as soon as the first available date opens - especially for afternoon slots. Mark your calendars - and jump on them. I screwed up and missed my Calendar notice, and was only able to get morning slots in late Sept. (each slot is about $5.50).