• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

800-748-5177 travel scam (pretends to be RCI, but not)

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Latest scam call 800-748-5177

Asked for my first name. I replied who's calling? He says RCI Travel and goes on to say that this call may be recorded.

Then he says "have any of my colleagues reached out to you to let you know you have an "RCI Travel package"...?

I knew at that point it was a scam. The number does not trace to RCI in any way.

Several different spiels used can be read this this link:
https://directory.youmail.com/directory/phone/8007485177

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have also received such calls from people claiming to be RCI. I tell them, "No, you are not RCI, I know their phone numbers." The answer once was, "Well, how do you think we got your number?" I have to laugh at that. Maybe they do give out our number, but the fact is, deeds are filed all over the country, so they just know we own timeshare and are easy marks.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is one of the things I love about TUG. It's good to be forewarned about these phone scams.

Thanks for the heads up, hudshut!

(I'm always curious about names...are you huds hut, or hud shut? :ponder: )

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Latest scam call 800-748-5177
Asked for my first name. I replied who's calling? He says RCI Travel and goes on to say that this call may be recorded.....
I knew at that point it was a scam. The number does not trace to RCI in any way.....

I have also received such calls from people claiming to be RCI. I tell them, "No, you are not RCI, I know their phone numbers." .....

This is one of the things I love about TUG. It's good to be forewarned about these phone scams )

Hi All ,
I don’t think this is a scam.
It is likely a call from a part of the RCI partner that handles cruises for RCI - “International Cruise and Excursions “also known as ICE Rewards . I believe ICE-rewards also run the RCI rewards store .

when you are a. RCI member you likely agree to let them share information with their partners / and this is how these phone calls happen .

I called 800- 748 5177 and spoke to a a representative . The website they have :
...www.ourvacation ....- OVC / shows the ICE logo as well as RCI and other travel info.

International Cruise and Excursions
(revenue appears to be over $500 million/ founded 1997)
Founders John & Marcia Rowley
Headquarters - Scottsdale Arizona

>There have been a number of previous TUG threads about these cold calls using the RCI name and offering cruise packages . It appears that most are based on what I posted above .

> .We all know that there are shady operators who trade off the RCI name .This is (IMO) not one of them - in the sense of being a scam . The value / worth of the cruise packages being pitched is your call .

>We were given an ICE membership when we bought Vidanta -Mayan Palace in 2006 . We never used it - because we have never gone on a cruise - and let it lapse when a renewal payment was required .

Added
Here is a DBA list I came across while googling International Cruise and Excursions .* have put some of the names I am most familiar with first :

RCI Travel

Sears Travel
Sear Vacations
ICE -International Cruise & Excursion Gallery Inc.
ICE - Rewards
ICE Gallery
Vida Lifestyles
Destinos Unlimited
Direct Buy Travel
Our Vacation Center
Westgate Cruise & Travel Collection
Diamonds International Privileges
Inneason Concierge Club
Government Vacation Rewards
Ocean Rewards
Vacation Rewards
Vacation Privileges
Privileges
Platinum Rewards
Cruise Vacations
Cruise Registry
Infinite Privileges
Privileges Infinitos
Freedom 365
Live 365
Club 365
Lifestyle Xperience 365
Lifestyle Collection
Privileges 365
Online Cruise Club Premier
Cruceros en Linea Club Premier
NEA Vacations
GVR
Herbie & Co
Explore Cruise Travel
Registry Vacations
Holland America Line Privileges

Last edited:

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to get timeshare scam calls all the time. But not anymore!

The scam call:

Scam company: Hi I’m XX from Timeshare company, RCI, Marriott, Vacation Club or whatever. I’d like to speak to Icydog (insert real name)

Me: She’s not available. How can I help you?

Scammers: We’d like her to know about our free this or that promotion, free week, free points, free vacations, free Cruises or whatever.
Or this line, we’d like to invite her to a seminar that guarantees that she’ll never pay a maintenance fee again

Me: Let me stop you right there. We don’t know what you’re talking about. What’s a timeshare?

Scammers: Oh, Sorry to bother you. We’ll take you off our list. Goodbye!

Me: Goodbye. And to myself I mutter.. “and good riddance”

I know this works because my timeshare scam calls have gone down to practically zero.

Try it...you may find it works for you too!

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to get timeshare scam calls all the time. But not anymore!

The scam call:

Scam company: Hi I’m XX from Timeshare company, RCI, Marriott, Vacation Club or whatever. I’d like to speak to Icydog (insert real name)

Me: She’s not available. How can I help you?

Scammers: We’d like her to know about our free this or that promotion, free week, free points, free vacations, free Cruises or whatever.
Or this line, we’d like to invite her to a seminar that guarantees that she’ll never pay a maintenance fee again

Me: Let me stop you right there. We don’t know what you’re talking about. What’s a timeshare?

Scammers: Oh, Sorry to bother you. We’ll take you off our list. Goodbye!

Me: Goodbye. And to myself I mutter.. “and good riddance”

I know this works because my timeshare scam calls have gone down to practically zero.

Try it...you may find it works for you too!

Nice post; we do something similar; We tell them: "We sold all our timeshares years ago".

That has put a huge dent in the scam calls.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I stop them and say the call is being recorded for the purpose of Federal Litigation. I then hear a click.