• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dad's high blood pressure - opinions/insights?

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I just spoke to my dad and he shared that his blood pressure is 189/91. Yikes. He is under a doctor's care and on some kind of medication (prescribed 2 weeks ago). I told him to call his doctor immediately and let me know what they said but so far he hasn't called back and I expect that he will not hear from the doctor until tomorrow. He has had high blood pressure in the past, but nothing like this.

Ugh.

He lives with my brother and sister in law, they aren't ones to worry (that's my role in the family, lolol). My question is how worried should I be? He's been under a lot of stress since losing his wife last year, so I am not really that surprised. Is this more of a chronic issue or acute? We leave this weekend for Hawaii, of course, and I am trying to sort this out before we leave. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should not worry. You should be concerned. You will not be able to change reality if something befalls your dad. Control the things you can control and accept the rest. You should enjoy your vacation to the best of your ability. Your dad's condition is treatable. Keep in touch with your brother - but not too much.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Concerned as you try to figure out why it is high. I have had the same issue with my mom and just changing a few things helped.

Sometimes it is a simple as a new drug that someone takes and when it stopped it returns to normal. Also if one started eating a higher diet with salt, I find it can rise too.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Blood pressure can go up and down daily under a large variety of factors. If you measure it at home under calm conditions and it is consistently 189/91 or above, it is a cause for concern. I measure mine when I get up in the morning before coffee. Of course, exercise, diet, hydration, and medication can all help reduce it, but it should be up to the doctor to determine how to treat it.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Understand that I'm not a Doctor but I do take blood pressure medication. When, and it is seldom, mine kicks up abnormally and it is not from excitement, stress etc., I increase the dosage of my medication one time by 50% from 25 Mg to 37½ Mg by breaking a pill in half. If my normal dosage was higher, say 100Mg, I'd probably only increase it by 25%. My Doctor has no problem with me doing this knowing I rarely do it...If your Dad's is a steady 189/91, I think he should to check with a Doctor, any Doctor as soon as possible...

George

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Be concerned by not over worried. As for the trip to Hawaii spend a few minutes each day recalling great times you have had with your Dad then go out and create good memories for y'll. Think would my Dad want me to worry so much we did not have a good time in Hawaii. Or would he say go out and have a great tjme.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When you said he has hbp in the past, he should have been on maintenance dose all the time. Assuming he did not stop on his own and his doctor simply adjusted his medication 2 weeks ago, then the new medication is not doing what it is supposed to be doing. The number is not crazy high, so don't panic. Medications should be able to bring it down. Does he have a hotline to talk to a medical professional? Many medical systems have that. If so, he should call the line and typically it is mended by nurses 24x7. They will be able to advise as to whether he needs to go into ER or not.

I have hbp for a long time even though I eat right, exercise like crazy and have healthy normal weight. My bp does fluctuate. Through the years when it rose gradually, my doctor added another medication and more recently doubled one of the medications. My bp is under control with medications. Sometimes it drops fairly significantly and I would reduce one of the medicines for a few days until my bp goes back to normal.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all of the replies. I was unsure as to the severity of the readings and I am hoping that they can get the medication adjusted and help with this.

You should not worry. You should be concerned. You will not be able to change reality if something befalls your dad. Control the things you can control and accept the rest. You should enjoy your vacation to the best of your ability. Your dad's condition is treatable. Keep in touch with your brother - but not too much.

This is so true. Worriers need to be reminded of this, lol. Thanks for the reminder.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
As long as he’s feeling ok right now, go and enjoy your vacation. But, when you return you might consider setting up an appointment with a cardiologist. Fooling around with stage 4 Hypertension is not a smart thing to do. Treating the underlying cause is far more important than treating the hypertension IMO. I don’t trust our primary care doctor when it comes to anything concerning my heart.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t trust our primary care doctor when it comes to anything concerning my heart.

I think I have the best of both worlds. My primary care doctor and cardiologist are part of the same Group. Not only do they access the same health records for me they actually talk to each other about my heart issues...

George

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Blood pressure is always a concern and as we age, perhaps more so.

Make sure your Dad is checking his pressure at least three times, over the course of a day. It will fluctuate throughout the day depending on many factors. Don't rely on just one reading, regardless if it's high or low. The "normal" is that it's lowest in the morning and should rise throughout the day. Mine does just the opposite.

Invest in a good home blood pressure cuff. "Omron" makes very good home blood pressure cuffs and are reasonably priced. Mine takes three readings each time and averages those readings into one. I do that three time a day. It will record those readings and each week you can see what the average was for any day and/or for the week.

As you've read, with proper diet and medication if needed, he should be fine.

Last edited:

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning. Sorry, but I have a totally different opinion about this. IMO your father’s blood pressure is way too high, especially if he is on blood pressure medication. He needs to get to his Dr. and sort this out. I realize you worry, and I would too. But my solution to worrying is to resolve the issue I am worrying about instead of just sitting around and letting it fester in my mind. Good luck with this.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Call the doctor and ask about it. Then talk to your brother and sisterinlaw relaying what the doctor said since he is living with them. Then- go on your trip and enjoy it.

All will be well. At least you have family that can help out while you are away if anything.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I agree with Chrisky, that is too high to be fooling around .

My wife had a stroke in Feb brought on by HBP, hers was 160/90. MRI discovered 2 aneurysms that started leaking due to HBP. She just had one repaired yesterday and is scheduled for the other next week. When she was in the neuro ICU they kept her BP down at 110/70 so the bleeding would stop.

Interventional Radiology is an amazing thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Good morning. Sorry, but I have a totally different opinion about this. IMO your father’s blood pressure is way too high, especially if he is on blood pressure medication. He needs to get to his Dr. and sort this out. I realize you worry, and I would too. But my solution to worrying is to resolve the issue I am worrying about instead of just sitting around and letting it fester in my mind. Good luck with this.
I agree. I would advise him to see his doctor asap. I am a school nurse and sometimes have staff members come in for a blood pressure check due to symptoms like headache. If it is high (generally 160 systolic or above) I ask them to call their doctor right from my office for advice and they always tell the patient to come in.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks again - I will call him this morning and make sure that he has called the doctor. Honestly, I only got worried when I went on google and the results were kind of scary. I didn't know if they were exaggerating or not. I guess not.

Unfortunately, he's 81, set in his ways, and depressed. He eats an unhealthy diet - lots of processed food that he can just pop in the microwave. He doesn't get any exercise, not even walking my brother's two little dogs around the block. I know that my brother has given up on my dad and I understand why. My dad absolutely refuses to change and gets angry about any suggestions to do so. He hasn't aged well. It is so very sad.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again - I will call him this morning and make sure that he has called the doctor. Honestly, I only got worried when I went on google and the results were kind of scary. I didn't know if they were exaggerating or not. I guess not.

Unfortunately, he's 81, set in his ways, and depressed. He eats an unhealthy diet - lots of processed food that he can just pop in the microwave. He doesn't get any exercise, not even walking my brother's two little dogs around the block. I know that my brother has given up on my dad and I understand why. My dad absolutely refuses to change and gets angry about any suggestions to do so. He hasn't aged well. It is so very sad.
Be concerned, but go on your trip. If 'Dad' doesn't care enough to take charge, it in't up to you to prod or nag him. He's lived 81 years and sees no reason to change.

The two words that no one wants to hear when they are aged- disabled- ill- are, "You Should. . . ."

Have a great vacation (but buy travel insurance).

Jim

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again.

I am so sorry for you that your father has that attitude. Sometimes when our parents age they become so stubborn. They feel they are losing control of their independence and therefore become so stubborn. He needs to realize that you are concerned about him and his health and only want to help. I do not know if you have had that talk with him, but that needs to be reiterated with him again and again, maybe with your brother as well as with his Dr. present.
Good luck with this. This can be very troubling for you.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that my brother has given up on my dad and I understand why. My dad absolutely refuses to change and gets angry about any suggestions to do so. He hasn't aged well. It is so very sad.
Agreed with the general sentiment that you can't change someone else's behavior, and trying to is only a recipe for disappointment and, eventually, resentment.

That said, taking the general approach of "harm reduction" can help. The simple way of expressing that: "Dad, I love you, and I think you are worth caring for. Whatever that means for you is fine with me. I don't need you to change your life, but if there is something I can help with, I am here for you."