• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tropical Storm Dorian - Cancel SVV Orlando Stay?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My friends who live in Cocoa Beach are planning on evacuating. They'll be leaving on Saturday.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Dorian is now a Hurricane. It's just leaving the Virgin Islands right now ... The 10 day weather forecast is for Thunderstorms (rain) for each and every day.

I dunno. I could think of other places I'd rather be.... Bad luck. Sorry.
How about heading to the Bahamas Sunday. Ughhhh

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Dorian is now a Hurricane. It's just leaving the Virgin Islands right now ... The 10 day weather forecast is for Thunderstorms (rain) for each and every day.
This is the normal forecast for Orlando for this time of year.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
It's gonna be bad no matter where you go. I think I'd rather head toward Disney. Good luck, what ever you do.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
sadly it doesnt look like the picture will unfold until late friday/early saturday....models now predicting a shift to the west at that time to head right towards the central florida coast around that time.

next full update from NHC is in a few hours at 5am eastern.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I'd wait if I were you. No point in cancelling in advance, plus if confidence increases (according to the NHC) of it hitting Orlando, you have a better chance of getting the fee waived by Vistana as a courtesy.

Right now you would pay the $75 and have restricted options. And there is no harm in waiting for you -- that option will still be there up until day of check-in.

-ryan
I called Vistana and asked them about the cancellation policy. They said I could cancel until 4:00pm on day of checkin. Cancellation fee and restricted points policy would still apply. Still waiting this out. Though it is looking less and less that we will be able to go. My wife has to work on Tuesday because the person who would normally back her up had a family emergency and had to leave the country. My wife could work from Orlando, but we are worried that if there is a power failure at the resort, that she won't be able to connect to WiFi. So we may consider going the following weekend. I still see availability.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
This is the banner at the top of the Vistana website:

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 10.40.44 PM.png

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
latest updates are pushing it to the west with landfall more south than central florida...but it certainly doesnt look good for anywhere between miami and cape canaveral :(

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I called Vistana this afternoon to cancel our SVV reservation. Initially when talking to the rep, there was still the same cancellation policy in effect; $75 and restricted points. During our conversation she received an email that they would cancel reservations without a fee for checkins through the 4th. So I was able to cancel without $75 penalty, but the points restriction is still in place. They don't expire until December 2020, so I know I won't have an issue using them. We have a five night reservation over Thanksgiving, which if inventory is still available come 61 days, I may cancel and rebook inside 60 days to use up the restricted points. Otherwise we will just use them up next year.

Good on Vistana for waiving the cash cancellation penalty. I thought the minds at MVW would have got to them and made them stick to their policy as written.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
The latest forecast is a really bad worst case scenario. The hurricane may not even make landfall, but follow the east coast all the way from around Vero Beach to North Carolina. The barrier islands off the east cost of Florida from Port St Lucie to Daytona are very narrow and fragile. Reminds me of the Hurricane Sandy that hit New Jersey a few years ago - it was so bad maps had to be changed. Remember, these hurricanes rotate counter-clockwise, so this will be pushing major storm surge onshore.

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called Vistana this afternoon to cancel our SVV reservation. Initially when talking to the rep, there was still the same cancellation policy in effect; $75 and restricted points. During our conversation she received an email that they would cancel reservations without a fee for checkins through the 4th. So I was able to cancel without $75 penalty, but the points restriction is still in place. They don't expire until December 2020, so I know I won't have an issue using them. We have a five night reservation over Thanksgiving, which if inventory is still available come 61 days, I may cancel and rebook inside 60 days to use up the restricted points. Otherwise we will just use them up next year.

Good on Vistana for living the cash cancellation penalty. I thought the minds at MVW would have got to them and made them stick to their policy as written.
Confirm as dioxide mentioned that I was given the same option for cancelling my reservation at Harborside today -- cancellation fee waived but SOs would be restricted. I took them on the offer, and when I checked the portal, half of the options came back as unrestricted, so not complaining here!

Agree that it is good on Vistana for doing this. Super happy with the outcome given it was attributable to an act of god.

-ryan

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I must say that for all the complaints we occasionally have about customer service with Vistana - it's times like this that they really stand out as a class act for owners.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thankfully the latest days worth of models show a trend shifting the path east little by little...with this mornings now skirting up the florida coast but missing completely.

About as good news as floridians can expect! THAT said, every 48 hours seems to result in a brand new completely different model path for the next 48 hours...so I wont hold my breath!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
thankfully the latest days worth of models show a trend shifting the path east little by little...with this mornings now skirting up the florida coast but missing completely.

About as good news as floridians can expect! THAT said, every 48 hours seems to result in a brand new completely different model path for the next 48 hours...so I wont hold my breath!
Missing the coast if you look at the center of the track. Though the cone still shows a potential landfall. Lets hope it keeps going further and further east with each update. THough now it looks like the Carolinas could get the brunt.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking more and more like the Carolinas are going to get it again. My timeshare in SC and home state of NC may get hit again. Just got through paying the last assessment.

NC Storms
Hurricane Floyd 1999
Tornado Outbreak 2011
TS Irene 2011
TS Julia 2016
Hurricane Matthew 2016
Hurricane Florence 2018
Hurricane Michael 2018

Larry

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do exchange companies like RCI and II have provisions for natural disasters like Hurricane Dorian? They should have them in place to help out their members and their member resorts.

If the resorts are closed due to mandatory evacuations how can these exchange companies make you lose exchanged weeks, money and/or points? I just don’t get it.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We were able to cancel HIVC Cape Canaveral. Will get our points back too.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
I hear it's time to head back to Orlando - the lines at Disney are SHORT! Everybody went home!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I hear it's time to head back to Orlando - the lines at Disney are SHORT! Everybody went home!
That is what I am hearing. We were one of the ones to cancel, though we weren't going to the parks anyway.

Happytravels

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are down to three!!
Do exchange companies like RCI and II have provisions for natural disasters like Hurricane Dorian? They should have them in place to help out their members and their member resorts.

If the resorts are closed due to mandatory evacuations how can these exchange companies make you lose exchanged weeks, money and/or points? I just don’t get it.
We have reservations (RCI exchange) at Islander Beach Resort in New Smyrna. We are driving from Texas to Florida. I called RCI Thursday to see what we could do. They said they will not issue any kind of refund until the resort is CLOSED. I called the resort and they are making it sound like it is a thunderstorm and everything will be normal after it makes landfall. REALLY I just wanted to cancel and not take any chances of being in a place with no electricity, water, stores and restaurants closed, gas in short supply etc. Our reservations are for check in on the 6th. So as of right now we are just sitting ducks waiting to see if we are making the trip or not.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Do you think flights to Miami would be ok in that case? Ugh, i have so much going on this weekend and already had to change flights due to work so now flying to CLT then working on Saturday and leaving CLT TO NAS connecting in MIA. I already lost a day on the trip because of work. I’m hoping this works out for me. I really wanted to try my new grill on the beach haha
Have you heard anything about your flights? It looks like Nassau is expecting to be in the outer bands and possibly have tropical storm force winds today

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Have you heard anything about your flights? It looks like Nassau is expecting to be in the outer bands and possibly have tropical storm force winds today
I changed my flight and left today. We flew from CLT to NAS at noon. Scheduled leave at 11:20. The flight attendant refused to go because he didn’t feel safe (clearly he didn’t check the news). We got a new FA and took off. We had to do one go around just as we were about to touch down. we landed around 2:45. I’m in my room at the HRA hanging out. All of my friends cancelled but I refused so I’m just chillin all by my lonesome. I was actually thinking about you as we were flying down the FL coast. I was thinking I hope you didn’t cancel your weekend trip to MCO. Weather currently is light winds with intermittent light rain. I can see some heavy clouds in the distance but I’m hoping this clears out by Tuesday.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I changed my flight and left today. We flew from CLT to NAS at noon. Scheduled leave at 11:20. The flight attendant refused to go because he didn’t feel safe (clearly he didn’t check the news). We got a new FA and took off. We had to do one go around just as we were about to touch down. we landed around 2:45. I’m in my room at the HRA hanging out. All of my friends cancelled but I refused so I’m just chillin all by my lonesome. I was actually thinking about you as we were flying down the FL coast. I was thinking I hope you didn’t cancel your weekend trip to MCO. Weather currently is light winds with intermittent light rain. I can see some heavy clouds in the distance but I’m hoping this clears out by Tuesday.
We did end up cancelling since Vistana waived the $75 cancellation fee. That was before the forecasts started to show the more eastward track. In any event, we are now prepared to ride out whatever heads our way and will probably rebook for another weekend coming up as long as there are no issues in Orlando. Apparently this weekend was the one to go to Orlando. A lot of people cancelled or checked out and the parks are dead with very few people and the weather is great! Though it probably won't be like that in a couple days.