• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How are the Florida Marriott Resorts handling Hurricane Dorian ?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Has anyone heard if any of the Marriott Florida Resorts have decided to shut down yet for the storm duration ? Any specific Resorts ?

Anyone have any check in reservations over the next few days ?

Have they offered any alternative locations for you or are you totally out of luck ?

Wishing all our Florida residents and TUG members safety during the storm duration......

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Has anyone heard if any of the Marriott Florida Resorts have decided to shut down yet for the storm duration ? Any specific Resorts ?

Anyone have any check in reservations over the next few days ?

Have they offered any alternative locations for you or are you totally out of luck ?

Wishing all our Florida residents and TUG members safety during the storm duration......

Officially from Marriott (not much):

We are closely monitoring the path of Hurricane Dorian, and our hotels in the predicted path have implemented storm preparation protocols. We are in close contact with local authorities, and will take guidance and direction from them as the situation warrants. We encourage those planning to travel to the storm area to check news updates for the most current information, and amend plans accordingly. Hotels in the impacted area are reviewing their cancellation fees; details may vary by hotel. To modify or cancel an existing reservation, please go to Marriott.com or the Marriott app.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect a big impact on Ocean Pointe and Oceana Palms if the storm keeps its current predicted track.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect a big impact on Ocean Pointe and Oceana Palms if the storm keeps its current predicted track.

The windows on the south side of Ocean Pointe’s buildings are 20 years old. Leaks during “normal” storms are a regular problem. We’ll see how the resort weathers this storm.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The windows on the south side of Ocean Pointe’s buildings are 20 years old. Leaks during “normal” storms are a regular problem. We’ll see how the resort weathers this storm.
Didn't they have water intrusion issues after a hurricane last year or the year before where they had a one time assessment? Perhaps they have now replace those?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
latest models have it missing florida just offshore and traveling up the coast! still major coastal impacts of a cat 4 storm some 50-100 miles offshore...but quite the bullet dodged if those models prove accurate!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are predicting the strong escape north 3 days from now. Which means they have no idea when it will actually happen. There is one outlier model that has it hitting Orlando directly west and going all the way through to the gulf, and then curling back south and hitting marco island and Miami and heading back north into the Atlantic.

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am disappointed to learn how little the entire front desk staff and leadership of one potentially affected MVC Florida resort know about how MVC handles natural disasters, closures, and guest inquiries. A front desk staff person at one MVCI Florida resort, told me, "we'll be here no matter what, just call us here at the resort for updates." Apparently, that person is yet to be instructed on how to manage such inquiries, has no understanding that the resort in question might lose phone service, that for the safety of the associates and guests, the resort may be closed and evacuated, AND, already, the resort cannot handle the surge of inquiries that they are receiving. Hence, as a reminder to all, the MVC HOTLINE IS (800) 306-9506; if you call that number, it at present is referring you to the resort, in question, Facebook Page.

(800) 306-9506

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Seems this morning we may need to amend the title of this thread to include "How are the Florida and South Carolina Marriott Resorts Handling Dorian". :doh:

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
We were in HH at harbour Club in Sea Pines when Hurricane Michael struck the area a couple of years ago. The staff and management (management of all 3 sea pines resorts is shared) were clueless when it came to preparation, communication and actions in anticipation of and during the storm. We were in the 5th floor and when the power went out at mid day there was no way to communicate with guests other than for us to walk down to the lobby.
Despite attempts to try to communicate with MVC management via social media (we still had cell service) there was little communication and nothing done to assist guests (oh, maybe they offered us candles for the evening).
Awful!
I hope they would have improved their preparedness since some of these storms the last few years including Irma in Florida., But take matters into your own hands and leave the area if you are able to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were in HH at harbour Club in Sea Pines when Hurricane Michael struck the area a couple of years ago. The staff and management (management of all 3 sea pines resorts is shared) were clueless when it came to preparation, communication and actions in anticipation of and during the storm. We were in the 5th floor and when the power went out at mid day there was no way to communicate with guests other than for us to walk down to the lobby.
Despite attempts to try to communicate with MVC management via social media (we still had cell service) there was little communication and nothing done to assist guests (oh, maybe they offered us candles for the evening).
Awful!
I hope they would have improved their preparedness since some of these storms the last few years including Irma in Florida., But take matters into your own hands and leave the area if you are able to!

For folks like yourself who remember previous storms on HHI, hopefully we see a better response to how inventory control is handled post-storm if any properties are closed or have buildings down for repairs. There were several reports of HHI resorts with less damage accommodating guests who had reservations at resorts that were closed for post-storm repairs. However, it appears first priority was given to cash guest stays over owners who were trying to use their owned week at their home resort or those with II exchange reservations. Having gone through this before, MVC should be better prepared regarding how any guest reassignments are handled this time around.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For folks like yourself who remember previous storms on HHI, hopefully we see a better response to how inventory control is handled post-storm if any properties are closed or have buildings down for repairs. There were several reports of HHI resorts with less damage accommodating guests who had reservations at resorts that were closed for post-storm repairs. However, it appears first priority was given to cash guest stays over owners who were trying to use their owned week at their home resort or those with II exchange reservations. Having gone through this before, MVC should be better prepared regarding how any guest reassignments are handled this time around.

Yeah, my recollection is that last time around Marriott didn't provide information to on property guests, cancelled reservations to accomodate their cash guests, and sold folks an insurance product that didn't cover resorts closed by the hurricane.

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
This was put on face book about 730 am this morning.

Hurricane Dorian Update: The National Weather Service has issued a Tropical Storm Watch for Fort Lauderdale, where Marriott’s BeachPlace Towers is located, in anticipation of the expected impact of Hurricane Dorian. While there is not a current threat to Marriott’s BeachPlace Towers, conditions can change at any time. The resort is currently open and fully operational, and the resort’s management team is continuing to monitor advisories that may be issued by state and local emergency service agencies. The safety and comfort of our Owners, guests and associates is a top priority.

For the latest alerts on Hurricane Dorian and potential impacts to Fort Lauderdale, please visit the Broward County’s page at
http://www.broward.org/emergency/Pages/Default.aspx.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Nick, typical Marriott PR “say nothing” talk. Management is monitoring?! That means they are watching TV weather reports like everyone else. What about plans and actions formulated for guests on Upper floors to be evacuated and taken care of in case of a bad storm and loss of power!? Clueless! They just don’t learn.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't they have water intrusion issues after a hurricane last year or the year before where they had a one time assessment? Perhaps they have now replace those?

It's my understanding the assessment went towards window seals being repaired but windows weren't replaced. We arrived last year after a series of regular storms. Our room smelled musty and when we walked close to the window the carpet was soaked. We were moved to another room. One of the management team went into a long explanation that the windows are 20 years old and while they've tried to repair the seals a decision will soon need to be made about replacement. Every storm dodged buys us time.

It remains to be seen the impact even a tropical storm status puts on the resort.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Palm Beach Shores has been ordered evacuated today at 1:00 pm. I am sure this includes Ocean Pointe, however it may not include Oceana Palms (which is on Riviera Beach).

That is the latest that I have heard....

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Ocean pointe is closing at 1PM and will remain closed until 9/4 (at least). All reservations thru 9/4 will be cancelled. Affected guests will be contacted by customer services.

I would assume if you don’t have vacation insurance, you just lost you week or nights if you used points for a reservation.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Oops

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
looks like the entire Singer Island is being evacuated'
OK Palm Beach Shores, Time to Evacuate! Jim Cantore is in the neighborhood!

Palm Beach County Emergency Operations Center has ordered an immediate evacuation of Zones A and B which Includes Singer Island.

The shelters are opening at 1:00 PM today. Details are available on the Town website www.palmbeachshoresfl.us

Please everyone, heed the order. There are King High Tides this week which will add to any flooding. Be safe and take care of your Neighbors who need assistance.

Remember, our Police and Fire Staff will leave the island if the winds or storm surge pass Category 2.

See you on the other side of the storm for the cleanup.
Your Mayor, Myra

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean pointe is closing at 1PM and will remain closed until 9/4 (at least). All reservations thru 9/4 will be cancelled. Affected guests will be contacted by customer services.

I would assume if you don’t have vacation insurance, you just lost you week or nights if you used points for a reservation.

A last minute cancellation of a points reservation by MVC should (at worst) put those points back in a holding account. The only time I could see a points reservation being a total loss would be if it occurred at the end of a use year and the owner couldn't rebook a new reservation arriving w/in 60 days to use them as holding account points.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
just announced evacuations for duval and st johns county coastal areas all the way up here...i cant imagine any east coast counties at this point arent issuing similar orders.

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
just announced evacuations for duval and st johns county coastal areas all the way up here...i cant imagine any east coast counties at this point arent issuing similar orders.

All the evacuations are north of Broward. Broward and Miami-Dade aren’t under any evacuations.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So what is a coastal area? Zone A. Zones A and B? I did a search and was able to find where St Johns county has ordered evacuations for A and B, but wasn't able to find anything for Duval.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
So what is a coastal area? Zone A. Zones A and B? I did a search and was able to find where St Johns county has ordered evacuations for A and B, but wasn't able to find anything for Duval.

quote was:

Duval County: Mayor Lenny Curry announced mandatory evacuations for Zones A and B and Hanna and Huguenot parks effective Monday at 8 a.m. Shelters will also open beginning at 10 a.m.