• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Exercises ROFR on a Gift

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone very generously offered to give me a shadow ridge gold unit. When closing through LT Transfers, we were informed that Marriott now requires ROFR notification for gifts that aren't a direct family member. Subsequently, they said they are taking over the transfer for $0 and "other good and valuable consideration."

I'm pretty annoyed about the whole thing, as a gold week there is a week I would actually use.

Any suggestions appreciated, but mostly just an FYI for those considering gifting weeks.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Hmmmm...sounds like your friend needs to gift you $5000 subsequent to your purchase of the $5000 timeshare ;)

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone very generously offered to give me a shadow ridge gold unit. When closing through LT Transfers, we were informed that Marriott now requires ROFR notification for gifts that aren't a direct family member. Subsequently, they said they are taking over the transfer for $0 and "other good and valuable consideration."

I'm pretty annoyed about the whole thing, as a gold week there is a week I would actually use.

Any suggestions appreciated, but mostly just an FYI for those considering gifting weeks.
I wonder if the wording could have been an issue. Could it have been worded as a gift rather than as referenced.

Hmmmm...sounds like your friend needs to gift you $5000 subsequent to your purchase of the $5000 timeshare ;)
For all the states I'm aware of, that would be illegal as it's illegal.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right at all.

I agree it doesn't seem right. But I trust LT Transfers, and they forwarded both the initial email from Marriott saying ROFR was required as well as the rofr exercise form. I'm not going to post the form as it has the person who was giving the TS's personal info on it, but it was just a form letter anyway. Original email below.

RE: Marriott Vacation Club – Right of First Refusal Policy

I hope this finds you well. Any transfer of Marriott Vacation Club inventories, that currently require a ROFR, from one party to another must go through the Right of First Refusal process. This includes all sales, bona fide offers (with or without a monetary amount) or transfers from one party to another. This does not apply to transfers from one party to their trust or corporation nor a Parent to Child or Child to Parent transfer where no money is involved.

In order to complete the transfer with Marriott Vacations Worldwide, Owner Modifications will require the ROFR waiver otherwise the transfer will not be completed.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Warmest regards,

《Name redacted》
Resale Manager, Resale Operations
Marriott Vacations Worldwide
6649 Westwood Blvd, Suite 500

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I agree it doesn't seem right. But I trust LT Transfers, and they forwarded both the initial email from Marriott saying ROFR was required as well as the rofr exercise form. I'm not going to post the form as it has the person who was giving the TS's personal info on it, but it was just a form letter anyway. Original email below.

RE: Marriott Vacation Club – Right of First Refusal Policy

I hope this finds you well. Any transfer of Marriott Vacation Club inventories, that currently require a ROFR, from one party to another must go through the Right of First Refusal process. This includes all sales, bona fide offers (with or without a monetary amount) or transfers from one party to another. This does not apply to transfers from one party to their trust or corporation nor a Parent to Child or Child to Parent transfer where no money is involved.

In order to complete the transfer with Marriott Vacations Worldwide, Owner Modifications will require the ROFR waiver otherwise the transfer will not be completed.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Warmest regards,

《Name redacted》
Resale Manager, Resale Operations
Marriott Vacations Worldwide
6649 Westwood Blvd, Suite 500
I love LT Transfers and have used them for all my sales. Almost always they get the correct information.

I had one instance with a fixed week transfer that they told me that Bluegreen had required me to use a certain transfer company. A few phone calls later I found I could use LT and some Bluegreen staff was misunderstanding some new policies and was giving wrong info. Using LT transfers versus Bluegreens closing company saved my buyer hundreds. My point even LT Transfers is given wrong information.

I personally would call Marriott and go up the chain to management and make sure this is true.

I know with HGVC to gift I had to notarize a statement that it was a gift and many at the time were unaware this could be done.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I got RORFed over a gifted Manor Colony.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
To get if for more than Marriott was willing to pay, be willing to pay more than Marriott. So you need to pay more than $0. I see no real reason why a gift to a non family member or acquaintance is not subject to ROFR. Too much room for abuse. Sure it is a gift *wink*. Here is $500 after the fact through Zelle.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
To get if for more than Marriott was willing to pay, be willing to pay more than Marriott. So you need to pay more than $0. I see no real reason why a gift to a non family member or acquaintance is not subject to ROFR. Too much room for abuse. Sure it is a gift *wink*. Here is $500 after the fact through Zelle.

+1 - This area is ripe for abuse just as @dioxide45 points out. I don't have a problem with this policy.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I would also say if there is a contract, a contract of any kind, it isn't a gift.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I gifted a HGVC unit and it was legit. I owned it and chose to give it away versus selling. If it was rofr in a sale that I was receiving money for I would be ok. Even though I gifted it because I no longer wanted it, and rofr would still give me the same result it would irk me that my choice to give it to a friend or other was taken away from me.

Abuse can happen in reverse. You give it to a friend and you go through the steps of payments showing an amount that won’t be rofr knowing you will not be keeping that friends money. So in my opinion this policy has nothing to do with abuse, just another way to get inventory for free and take away more rights from timeshare owners.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am the “giver” in both bizaro86’s and grammarhero’s cases. There is a 3rd and they were basically exercised at the same time. It is very frustrating because I called them and they would not even take a deedback for any of these units.

Another thing that used to happen is I would sell a unit but add the closing cost to the price with me as the seller paying closing. If Marriott exercised they would pay me the higher amount but I wouldn’t have to pay closing. This was a little benefit if they ended up exercising. Someone noticed and now if they exercise they are deducting the closing costs from my proceeds. This bites because they charge more for closing than LT Transfers does.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything but I have a feeling I am on some type of list where they will not buyback or broker my units. But they will still exercise ROFR when I sell. Several times in the last year I have called and they would say “yes” only to have them start entering and say “wait, no we are not actually doing that”. Most recently it was with Manor Club Platinum that I was giving away in the bargain forum. Since they said it has to pass ROFR I called about a deedback to save everyone the trouble. I got the yes, start the process, oh wait, no. Doing that for a deedback makes no sense.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am the “giver” in both bizaro86’s and grammarhero’s cases. There is a 3rd and they were basically exercised at the same time. It is very frustrating because I called them and they would not even take a deedback for any of these units.

Another thing that used to happen is I would sell a unit but add the closing cost to the price with me as the seller paying closing. If Marriott exercised they would pay me the higher amount but I wouldn’t have to pay closing. This was a little benefit if they ended up exercising. Someone noticed and now if they exercise they are deducting the closing costs from my proceeds. This bites because they charge more for closing than LT Transfers does.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything but I have a feeling I am on some type of list where they will not buyback or broker my units. But they will still exercise ROFR when I sell. Several times in the last year I have called and they would say “yes” only to have them start entering and say “wait, no we are not actually doing that”. Most recently it was with Manor Club Platinum that I was giving away in the bargain forum. Since they said it has to pass ROFR I called about a deedback to save everyone the trouble. I got the yes, start the process, oh wait, no. Doing that for a deedback makes no sense.
Thanks for sharing. Makes no sense that they wouldn’t take a deed back to get your units but exercised rofr. Seems they are trying to stop the gifting but eventually owners who don’t want it will figure out gift it and they will take it and then they will have too many and let the gifting occur again.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would also say if there is a contract, a contract of any kind, it isn't a gift.

What would you have done in a similar situation? MVC says they won't honor a transfer without clearing rofr for a gift. Just record a deed showing the gift and sue them for access?

I'm genuinely curious, because I wanted that week and I don't have it now, so if I could have done better I'd appreciate thoughts.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
When it came time to sell my pre-construction Sabal, Harbour and Heritage and resale Monarch Weeks Marriott was great. They went the extra mile renting then selling my Sabal and Monarch Weeks for me. Today, you decide...

George

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What would you have done in a similar situation? MVC says they won't honor a transfer without clearing rofr for a gift. Just record a deed showing the gift and sue them for access?

I'm genuinely curious, because I wanted that week and I don't have it now, so if I could have done better I'd appreciate thoughts.
That really wouldn't work either. With the ne ROFR environment for gits, it seems you have to be willing to pay more than Marriott if you want the week. That is the reality. You are willing to pay $0 and so was Marriott. Be willing to pay $100, $200, perhaps more.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I personally believe at some point someone will sue and will win but unfortunately that will cost time and money as Marriott has lots of it.

If the resort is one you really want to have and/or you want a Marriott, you will need to find one and pay something. I would start at $1000 and see if that passes and if not go higher until you don’t feel comfortable with the price.

If you are trying to get into a system, you might start seeing some hgvc being given away as some are nervous of a merger. Hgvc does allow gifting.

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the wording could have been an issue. Could it have been worded as a gift rather than as referenced.

For all the states I'm aware of, that would be illegal as it's illegal.

That is not illegal. There may be some tax implications for someone. However, gifting money or property is not illegal.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Makes no sense that they wouldn’t take a deed back to get your units but exercised rofr. Seems they are trying to stop the gifting but eventually owners who don’t want it will figure out gift it and they will take it and then they will have too many and let the gifting occur again.
As I stated in another thread, a major (if not the main) purpose of ROFR is to push people too retail. They do that by creating confusion and frustration among other things.

That is not illegal. There may be some tax implications for someone. However, gifting money or property is not illegal.
For all states I am aware of to put terms in the contract that are not the actual terms and for the purpose of misleading related to ROFR would be a violation of state law. Therefore to make a side deal for the purpose of bypassing ROFR is both illegal and dishonest.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
+1 - This area is ripe for abuse just as @dioxide45 points out. I don't have a problem with this policy.
I think this policy is absurd. The memo says parent to child or child to parent is OK. That means not even a gift to a grandchild escapes ROFR. Absurd is too mild a term. Unconscionable would be better.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Absolutely not true from a legal perspective. Many large gifts have contracts spelling out the terms.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
What was the 'good and valuable consideration' given?
That is legal boilerplate found in many real estate transactions. Could be anything in practice, even something as simple as being cooperative.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think this policy is absurd. The memo says parent to child or child to parent is OK. That means not even a gift to a grandchild escapes ROFR. Absurd is too mild a term. Unconscionable would be better.
I would agree that perhaps the terms of who you can gift to are too restrictive. But a gift from to someone you have know personal relationship with prior to your "gift" is what I am referring to. We also don't know if there are other specific examples where ROFR doesn't apply but weren't listed.

Absolutely not true from a legal perspective. Many large gifts have contracts spelling out the terms.
Perhaps, but if someone is on the Bargain Deals forum giving away a timeshare and says that the recipient is to pay closing costs and transfer fees, it is still really a gift?

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would think in this instance, the seller/giftor could refuse to complete the transaction and then submit another contract with a higher consideration attached. Language could be added that if the contract passes ROFR and is not taken by MVC that buyer will be entitled to a rebate, 30 days after closing/settlement.