• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Share Age 55+ Search for New Home

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Some of these houses are truly lovely, but I just will never understand the design decision behind having the garage door be the most dominating part of a house's facade. WHY? It just screams, "I don't want to be sociable with any of my neighbors!" I need front porches, sidewalks. These things encourage pedestrian access, walking, sociability (as has been proven in study after study about how the build environment affects our social environment.) *sigh* *steps off of soap box*

Some of this has to do with developers cramming in far too many houses in an area that should only hold about half the number of houses. When you lot is (essentially) a rectangle yet you still want a two car garage (as most families need), you're pretty much constrained to have the garage in the front of the house and predominant.

You want front porches? How about side and back porches too? For me anyway, the ideal house has porches on at least three sides!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Simply because it is more cost effective for them to build. I agree front porches and sidewalks are friendly meeting places. Communities with open spaces with dog parks, walking paths and gathering areas with seating are the best yet are getting harder to find.

Speaking of this, I saw an article about a recent counter movement in the Minneapolis area where someone considered it quite the accomplishment to change the housing codes to allow for more multi family structures (I'm not sure that is the precise term but existing structures could be converted to multi family dwellings). New building space had been exhausted. prices on the rise, and the creator of this movement saw this as a way to decrease the price of housing in the area.

Craming more people into the same area does nothing to build / develop a sense of community. It does allow slum lords a foot in the door though.

It was odd (to say the least). I'll post a link if I can find that story again.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
There is a new development (100's of homes) going in near us and all the homes have back laneways with the garages in the backyard. The developer said studies show that many people no longer use back yards and do not want the maintenance of big yards. It is so nice, but strange, to drive down the street and not see any driveways. There are cars parked in front of some of the homes, visitors maybe, but other than that the street looks so clean. Every house has a big covered front porch and not a very deep front yard, so people sitting on the porch can easily have a conversation with somebody walking past on the sidewalk, just like my grandparents did in their home 50 years ago in north Toronto.

~Diane

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is a new development (100's of homes) going in near us and all the homes have back laneways with the garages in the backyard. The developer said studies show that many people no longer use back yards and do not want the maintenance of big yards. It is so nice, but strange, to drive down the street and not see any driveways. There are cars parked in front of some of the homes, visitors maybe, but other than that the street looks so clean. Every house has a big covered front porch and not a very deep front yard, so people sitting on the porch can easily have a conversation with somebody walking past on the sidewalk, just like my grandparents did in their home 50 years ago in north Toronto.

~Diane

I understand the back half of the bolded quote, but the first part??????

I've seen neighborhoods like this and the kids end up running in the streets because the developer would not create sufficient play areas throughout the development. I certainly get that we all have different preferences when it comes to where we live and what an idea house and property will look like, but I have great difficulty believing anyone wants to be in closer quarters with an increased number of people.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

I've seen neighborhoods like this and the kids end up running in the streets because the developer would not create sufficient play areas throughout the development. I certainly get that we all have different preferences when it comes to where we live and what an idea house and property will look like, but I have great difficulty believing anyone wants to be in closer quarters with an increased number of people.
I do believe that most would prefer big roomy lots. But no one in our area can afford that any more. We are currently looking at real estate for our daughter/SIL. The outside space was the first thing to go from their wish list. They don't want long commutes so they will sacrifice outside space for a shorter commute. In our area, in their price range, that means a high density condominium development. If they moved to less populated places, they would have no jobs. My daughter works in a specific part of the biotech industry. The jobs, for the most part, are near heavily populated areas with high real estate costs. They don't really have much choice.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

In Ontario there are strict legal requirements for the amount and size of parks in new housing developments. There are lots of big parks. When I grew up we had the school yard (6 blocks away) for our only park so we ended up playing in the street. Now (around here) is seems to be that there are parks on every street and they are all linked by walking/bike paths. I don't see kids playing outside (in their yards or on the streets) these days like we all did when we were young. That was one of the first things I noticed when we started wintering in Belize. All the kids play outside all day. Even our own older 2 grandkids would rather sit in front of the TV or on their tablets than go out to play. Our 15yr old DGS cant even ride a bike because his mother didn't let him play outside in case he was injured or abducted. On his weekends with his dad he was only allowed 2 hrs of video games or TV per day, the rest of the time he had to be reading, playing with toys or play outside. His mother thought his dad and step-mom were mean for making him do that! Our younger 2 (different DS) grandkids play outside all year round. The older one was just (at 4 yrs) allowed to start watching 30 mins of a kids show every evening after her younger sister goes to bed. We were just sitting in their backyard yesterday and even with kids in almost every house on DS's street and the one behind his, we were the only ones we could see that were occupying the backyard. So sad!

~Diane

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So here is my update...homesites will be released in our preferred community September 7th, a month and a half sooner then I was told. We have until the 11th to give our first, second and third choice plus a deposit check. The 12th we are told which homesite we got. Those who visited the office their first time prior to us go before us. By the 14th we have to be in contract and pay 5% of purchase price or the homesite is released and we get our deposit back. We will not know the homesite premiums until the 7th.

The good news is instead of only 6 wooded sites being released for the house line we want there will be 10 released this time and potentially another 11 in the future. There are three lines in the community. The mid sized houses that were suppose to have 15 wooded homesites released in the future will not be available for that line as they were switched to the larger homes.

I feel bad for all those on the waiting list for the mid sized homes as now there are no future wooded sites and their choice if they want a wooded homesite is to get a smaller home or pay more for a larger home. What I do know is 10 will be available for what I want. The potential 11 in the future, which might be more desirable, I view as maybe, as the builder can always change their mind again. My guess is there are more people now wanting the larger homes thus the switch.

So if the stars align, decent homesite, price did not rise too much, homesite premium what it was before we might have found our 55+ community.

My other half is finally on board, still would prefer to stay where we are but now participating with decisions. I agreed to move again if he is unhappy after a year even if I am happy. He is picking the house floor plan, the style, elevation and color, getting his 3 car garage, wooded homesite, large 2nd floor with a tremendous office and a media room plus lots of additional storage plus carpet in the bedroom ( I prefer wood). I will be getting the community lifestyle I so desire in the area with lots of conveniences.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Speaking of this, I saw an article about a recent counter movement in the Minneapolis area where someone considered it quite the accomplishment to change the housing codes to allow for more multi family structures (I'm not sure that is the precise term but existing structures could be converted to multi family dwellings)...

Back in the 60s my Brother lived in an old established commuter suburb of Philadelphia. He bought a large 3 story house and converted it into 3 very nice apartments which he rented (as an aside he still owns the property and still rents out these same apartments). Trust me with the rents he gets no one considers the area a slum...

George

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
From other threads it seems a few of us are seeking or have found a new home in the 55+ age group.

Thought we could share our experiences here in one place. Maybe someone else looking will get additional insight about builders, areas, etc.

My quest is in the Charlotte, NC area, preferably south over the border in South Carolina. Taxes are lower in SC. My search is limited in area because my other half does not want to live in Florida or near the water. I want to be in a warmer climate in a low risk tornado area. We both love the outdoors and prefer trees and a tranquil feel with conveniences close by.

I have initiated to move. My other half would stay just where we are. He is 100% happy. I am not. We live in a beautiful community but the average age is young 30’s. I want a lifestyle change where I have amenities, clubs and activities in the community, a village of peers. My other half is more of a loner, could be happy himself, would stay where we are. When he is put in a social setting he is friendly and loves it. I believe he will ultimately be glad if we move.

Where many in my age group end up downsizing, it will be almost impossible for us. I can easily live in a smaller space but my other half needs a three car garage, a media room and a tree lined backyard. Only the largest homes in 55+ communities have these and then he says the home is too big, lol, but unwilling to give up anything he wants.

I want to move to a newer community that is now being built so the average age group is younger plus I want my final home to have the color scheme I prefer.

We looked at Del Web at Carolina Orchards, Pulte is the builder, in Fort Mill SC. Del Webb has always been my preference. There are still a nice amount of homesites that will become available but even the ones they consider very desirable, we don’t. Any home site would be a compromise. In addition, when the desirable home sites are released, there is a closed bid for a lot premium, starting bid $20,000. In the last section they went for $80,000 in addition to the price of the home.

We looked at The Village at Covington built by Essex Homes, smaller community 133 homes, in Indian Land SC. My favorite floor plan, just an outdoor pool and small club house with only a craft room, no activity director. Would have to wait to see if future homesite we would be interested in can hold the floor plan we want. Whereas the age group is right I am hesitant buying here because the amenities are lacking and there is no Activity Director.

Over in Lake Wylie , NC, the Regency at Palisades is beautiful looking built by Toll Brothers. It isn’t actually a 55+ , it is activity lifestyles driven community that has floor plans and amenities geared to 55+, no 3 car garages and premium on wooded homesite $100,000 in addition to home price. My other half liked the homes the best, not sure he realizes no 3 car garage, not what I am leaning towards.

One we can agree on that is very nice is Tree Tops in Lancaster County, SC built by Lennar it is my favorite at this point which surprised me. I didn’t appreciate it until I went back a second time. I actually got pissed the first time when within the first minute was told yes to basement, 3 car garage to be told later none are available or will be available. Only saw the models, never toured the amenities or drove the community. Found out at the second visit that I was working with a greeter and the sales person assigned to me never followed up.

The sales person I met my second visit was great, unfortunately her manager informed me I cannot use her, I must use the other person that was assigned to me. Absurd and unfair to me the consumer.

This community was gated, has a lake, walking and hiking paths, large outdoor theatre, outdoor pool, clubhouse with meeting room and large gym and 10 activity cabins. Downside for others could be to get to the gym you have to walk steps or walk down a long ramp, no elevator. Beautiful area and within a mile of great shopping, my preferred choice but have to wait and see if we can get one of the 6 homesites that will work when released. Desirable home site premiums here are between $20,000 to $30,000.

Of all the builders Lennar included the most but had hardly any options for upgrades. For example, master bathroom is tiled, floor and shower, choice of three similar tile colors and only one listello, no choice at all, can’t plumb for irrigation or gas line for bbq upfront, must do after closing, etc.

In order of most additional options offered, Toll Brothers, Pulte, Essex, Lennar.

Most included Lennar, Essex, tied Toll and Pulte.

So Tree Tops so far is on the top of my list with location and community both which are great. Will have to deal with the sales person Lennar makes me deal with and have limited choices. Althought not thrilled with them, the limited choices I can make work, the sale person, time will tell.

My other surprise is it will cost me more to buy in 55+ then what my house will sell for. You can do it for less but must get a much smaller home.

For some reason I missed this whole thread, Panina!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
She can always try renting during season. Lots of people buy before they are ready to retire, and rent out during high season.
One activity no one mentions is a group we have called the Volunteers. These are men that enjoy working , they do projects in our community. Some of the men do cement work, carpentry, others repair equipment owned by the volunteers, or do the accounting. This group of men have saved the community an enormous amount of money, and are like an elderly fraternity. The wives have formed a group that deadheads all the flower gardens on common grounds.

I believe the community we will be moving to has this as well.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Some of this has to do with developers cramming in far too many houses in an area that should only hold about half the number of houses. When you lot is (essentially) a rectangle yet you still want a two car garage (as most families need), you're pretty much constrained to have the garage in the front of the house and predominant.

You want front porches? How about side and back porches too? For me anyway, the ideal house has porches on at least three sides!

I love the garage in the front so you can pull straight in. Especially in cold weather/snowy climates. Our new home will also have a front porch- though a tiny one.

Right now we have a screened in porch on the side of the house, as well as a patio, and a huge ground level deck out back. We live in the woods so very private. Rarely ever sit on any of them. I think because our house has a lot of windows with views of the woods, we just leave the doors open with the screen doors in place and even inside we feel like we are outside- minus bugs and hubby can watch his TV.

Now with our new little house, I can see at least me sitting out there on the front porch (after black fly season) with a cup of tea or glass of wine and maybe a book because the house is so small it will be nice to get outside.

And- speaking of cramming- this community has- or at least will have a total of 85 homes and a club house and pool on 10 1/2 acres, while our current 2600 square foot home sits alone on our own private 10 1/2 acres! LOL!

And= btw- this small home- though has a small backyard that the walk out basement goes to- we will not be doing anything with it, unlike others who have put in patios and fire pits and all that. And- we are not doing any landscaping. We are keeping things simple and as maintenance free as possible. (we don't do landscaping here right now being in the woods either).

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I so relate to this article and have those concerns as well, but still think our move into the 1100 square foot home on the postage size lot will be better for us as we age. It will be hard at first, but we will adapt.
When my husband passed, I went front a large home to postage size and it actually was my favorite place and still is. Being it was small it was cozy and in time I was able to make it exactly as I loved. When I moved to the Carolinas it saddened me I had to sell that house. It was perfect. It was me.

The bigger house is definitely not for me, it is for my other half who thinks he needs it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I love the garage int he front so you can pull straight in. Especially in cold weather/snowy climates. Our new home will also have a front porch- though a tiny one.

Right now we have a screened in porch on the side of the house, as well as a patio, and a huge ground level deck out back. We live in the woods so very private. Rarely ever sit on any of them. I think because our house has a lot of windows with views of the woods, we just leave the doors open with the screen doors in place and even inside we feel like we are outside- minus bugs and hubby can watch his TV.

Now with our new little house, I can see at least me sitting out there on the front porch (after black fly season) with a cup of tea or glass of wine and maybe a book because the house is so small it will be nice to get outside.
I currently have a side entry garage that has a wide concrete entrance. Whereas the house does look much nicer, the side entry is a pain. I prefer front entry.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So here is my update...homesites will be released in our preferred community September 7th, a month and a half sooner then I was told. We have until the 11th to give our first, second and third choice plus a deposit check. The 12th we are told which homesite we got. Those who visited the office their first time prior to us go before us. By the 14th we have to be in contract and pay 5% of purchase price or the homesite is released and we get our deposit back. We will not know the homesite premiums until the 7th.

The good news is instead of only 6 wooded sites being released for the house line we want there will be 10 released this time and potentially another 11 in the future. There are three lines in the community. The mid sized houses that were suppose to have 15 wooded homesites released in the future will not be available for that line as they were switched to the larger homes.

I feel bad for all those on the waiting list for the mid sized homes as now there are no future wooded sites and their choice if they want a wooded homesite is to get a smaller home or pay more for a larger home. What I do know is 10 will be available for what I want. The potential 11 in the future, which might be more desirable, I view as maybe, as the builder can always change their mind again. My guess is there are more people now wanting the larger homes thus the switch.

So if the stars align, decent homesite, price did not rise too much, homesite premium what it was before we might have found our 55+ community.

My other half is finally on board, still would prefer to stay where we are but now participating with decisions. I agreed to move again if he is unhappy after a year even if I am happy. He is picking the house floor plan, the style, elevation and color, getting his 3 car garage, wooded homesite, large 2nd floor with a tremendous office and a media room plus lots of additional storage plus carpet in the bedroom ( I prefer wood). I will be getting the community lifestyle I so desire in the area with lots of conveniences.

This is so exciting for you and I am sure it will work out. Your husband picking everything out is genius in getting him to be on board and in the end you will both be happy. I know it. Best of luck!

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I so relate to this article and have those concerns as well, but still think our move into the 1100 square foot home on the postage size lot will be better for us as we age. It will be hard at first, but we will adapt.
Going through a separation has been really painful, but one of the silver linings is that I discovered that a simple 625 sq. ft. 1BR apartment is all I really need, and that getting rid of/living without all that *stuff* is liberating.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Going through a separation has been really painful, but one of the silver linings is that I discovered that a simple 625 sq. ft. 1BR apartment is all I really need, and that getting rid of/living without all that *stuff* is liberating.

I'm with you. But hubby.....well let's just say good thing there is a basement and one car garage in this new house.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Back in the 60s my Brother lived in an old established commuter suburb of Philadelphia. He bought a large 3 story house and converted it into 3 very nice apartments which he rented (as an aside he still owns the property and still rents out these same apartments). Trust me with the rents he gets no one considers the area a slum...

George

Full marks to your brother and here is wishing we had more examples like his as opposed to what we all to frequently see in situations like this.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@mpumilia @Panina - is it yet another of life's ironies that houses can be scaled up much easier than they can be scaled down?

It seems weird how wired we are to accumulate stuff throughout our lives only to (at some point) reach a point where we need to but often find great difficulty in reversing that process. As I noted in elsewhere, we are in the middle of a Viking-like purge. We've been throwing / donating / getting rid of various stuff in our house over the past 4 weeks in preparation for a remodel. It is refreshing seeing parts of our house bare again that have not been exposed since the day we moved in over two decades ago. This place sure seems bigger these days.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
@mpumilia @Panina - is it yet another of life's ironies that houses can be scaled up much easier than they can be scaled down?

It seems weird how wired we are to accumulate stuff throughout our lives only to (at some point) reach a point where we need to but often find great difficulty in reversing that process. As I noted in elsewhere, we are in the middle of a Viking-like purge. We've been throwing / donating / getting rid of various stuff in our house over the past 4 weeks in preparation for a remodel. It is refreshing seeing parts of our house bare again that have not been exposed since the day we moved in over two decades ago. This place sure seems bigger these days.

In our case, since we were remodeling over the course of 5-6 years, we did purge a lot (except my husband with the garage. We intended to redo the garage as well 2 years ago, but other house repair and replace expenses hit, so we never got to it and then we took a year break only to find ourselves at this point now).

Our house always looked staged- but that is how we always lived. No clutter. Streamlined and very neat and very clean. Everything in it's place. It is just that in our case, going from a 2600 square foot colonial into an 1100 square foot basic house of 4 rooms and 2 bathrooms, what we had here would in no way fit.

Well- at least we enjoyed the remodeled house since 2011 when we started the remodeling, though it wasn't all done until 2 years ago.

Not to mention, not going to need a lot of the things we had in the garage as there will be a lot less maintenance in the new place. For example- no longer will need a lawn mower as mowing is provided. Because of how we have lived here in the woods, we were big stockers of necessities like food and other things like that for emergencies- like having an extra freezer and an extra pantry. My husband saved a lot of things just in case.....

With the new home, we are no longer going to do things like that for the most part. We- or at least- I- am trying to simplify.

I keep telling my husband about my unmarried friend who is in her seventies and lives in a lovely, tiny condo in a beautiful area of Connecticut. The washer and dryer are in the building. She has no garage. Her car is parked outside in the parking lot.

Amazing that somehow she lives just fine with just the basics. I can live that way just as well. What else do you really need?

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just attended my husband’s reunion. We drove through his old neighborhood. It looked great but most of the homes had a one car garage, small homes, and a small lot. In the fifties this was considered just fine. In fact this was an affluent area, filled with professionals, and the people in my husband’s class were mostly high earning affluent people.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I downsized about 2 years ago from a large, single family home to a 1700 sq foot 2 BR townhome. It's just me and my teenage daughter. It has two "master suites" -- perfect for us girls. By not having to deal with snow removal, yard care I was able to purge practically everything I had in my garage. When I was emptying my old house for the move it actually made me kind of sick that I had all this "stuff". 3 sets of dishes? All kind of holiday decor. I used to live with the attitude of "I need a large space to entertain" and "I need a guest room". I have shifted my thinking to rather than maintaining a home for the few days a year that I faced those issues, I'd rather have a home that I enjoy for the day in / day out routine living. ALL possessions require time and energy.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Cornell - a bit off topic, but since you mentioned your daughter - has the time come for her year abroad yet?
I hope she enjoys it to the hilt!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Cornell - a bit off topic, but since you mentioned your daughter - has the time come for her year abroad yet?
I hope she enjoys it to the hilt!
I just got off the phone w/her! She's 3 weeks into her stay and is loving it. She has an amazing host family. Living in a wonderful small town and goes to a school in a bigger city so she has the best of everything. Is slowly learning German. She seems so happy !TY for asking.