• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What have you seen changed that you never thought would?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
cf569709cd604f8d8860792dac69dd59.jpg

Hmmmm. I’m a baby boomer and never thought I would see gender choices beyond Male and Female. I know...get with the times! I have absolutely nothing wrong with it. My eldest is transgender and middle son is Gaye. Both great people and that’s all that matters to me.

But really folks, your gender can now be CUSTOM? Okay dokie.

It reminds me of when I was a kid water was FREE. Today, you can buy a bottle.

What things have you seen change that you never thought would?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
The cellular phone where I can search the internet (never could imagine), shop, FaceTime, message, etc. a device that is the center of most lives.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The cellular phone where I can search the internet (never could imagine), shop, FaceTime, message, etc. a device that is the center of most lives.

That’s a good one. Now, where ever I go where people are waiting, you see a sea of heads down playing with their smart phones. The technology is really cool BUT one has lost their privacy somewhat with facebook, instagram, etc.

The good thing is the Internet has created a whole new way to make a living ranging from blogging to selling on Amazon or EBay. So, some amazing things has resulted from it.

However, from this I would never have thought department stores would fail. Stores like Sears and Macy’s were here to stay....well no more.

Also, face to face is less today. My kids would rather text me than come over for a coffee to visit.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If things did not change there would be no history.

Someday cell phones will be part of people's bodies.

For me, paying for television service is one thing I would never have thought would happen.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
If things did not change there would be no history.

Someday cell phones will be part of people's bodies.

For me, paying for television service is one thing I would never have thought would happen.

A sad day when communications are in the body because all privacy will be lost. Anyone can locate where your body is and how it’s functioning or not. Evil souls then can shut you off if they want. Scary.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe that your cellular device will be integrated with your vision and mind. This will happen quite quickly once it is able to integrate with your nervous system. I am guessing somewhere around 25 years from now.

The one thing that has changed that I never thought would is a personal letter. Email and texting has all but eliminated it as a form of communication. Another one is cursive writing. They go hand in hand.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I believe that your cellular device will be integrated with your vision and mind. This will happen quite quickly once it is able to integrate with your nervous system. I am guessing somewhere around 25 years from now.

The one thing that has changed that I never thought would is a personal letter. Email and texting has all but eliminated it as a form of communication. Another one is cursive writing. They go hand in hand.

Let us hope it will be a choice on whether you want technology linked to your mind. When outside forces can manipulate your mind, it make current brain washing techniques nothing.

Yes, email surprised me too. It’s amazing how many people get themselves in trouble by shooting their thoughts through email and wonder why they Are being sued or jailed. The authorities just love emails over letters because they remain stored somewhere whereas a letter can be shredded or destroyed.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Solar and electric vehicles have completely shifted my thinking and are hitting a tipping point here in Calif. We purchased solar for our home 3 years ago for the tax rebate. Now 95% of the homes in our neighborhood run on solar. We can run the air conditioner and leave all the lights on because it's free and not dependent on fossil fuels or offshore oil. Self sufficient.

We just purchased a new EV for my DH to commute. We now save $2400 a year on gas because he can charge free at home with our solar, or at work where they have free charging stations. We received many govt rebates for EV plus VW gave us a 10k discount so the car was almost free when you subtract gas.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Solar and electric vehicles have completely shifted my thinking and are hitting a tipping point here in Calif. We purchased solar for our home 3 years ago for the 30% tax rebate. Now 95% of the homes in our neighborhood run on solar. We can run the air conditioner and leave all the lights on because it's free and not dependent on fossil fuels or offshore oil. Self sufficient.

We just purchased a new EV for my DH to commute. We now save $2400 a year on gas because he can charge free at home with our solar, or at work where they have free charging stations. We received so many govt rebates for EV plus VW gave us a 10k discount that the car was almost free when you subtract gas.

Yes, that’s cool stuff! California has great sunshine, why not harness it! And no pollution! I would love to see the day when LA smog is gone because everyone is using EV.

Not to mention, I tested out a Tesla and boy what performance. I think they are adding more charging stations throughout the interstates and once that happens, its EV for me. Sigh, I will just need to ignore the dirty looks from my fellow Albeeertans.....hick.

In Alberta where I live, solar and wind are being bucked. That’s because we are an oil province (natural gas too). We need to get with the times here.

I did think we would move one day to EV. Years ago, we had street cars and some busses that ran on Electricity....then they were replaced with diesel and now the light rail transit is electric.

I think they still use electricity on the SAN Fran Street cars and that has been around for decades....correct me if I’m wrong.

As I have dual (Canadian/American) citizenship, I visit the US often and was impressed to see my family in Nebraska use an electric garden tractor and other electric farm implements.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok - the first thing that came to my mind (only because of a recent conversation) is the TP dispensers in public restrooms.

It all started when I came across a "new" type at a Wildlife park in Texas last week. I thought the whole thing was pretty cool, you just pulled out what you needed. But, then realized what you got was one skinny long string of TP that you needed to rework into more of a solid mass for use. I then told my kiddo that back in the day you NEVER you went into a stall without checking to see if there was any TP because odds where there was none. Then came along the mega rolls that have solved that problem.

New one:
th

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Ok - the first thing that came to my mind (only because of a recent conversation) is the TP dispensers in public restrooms.

It all started when I came across a "new" type at a Wildlife park in Texas last week. I thought the whole thing was pretty cool, you just pulled out what you needed. But, then realized what you got was one skinny long string of TP that you needed to rework into more of a solid mass for use. I then told my kiddo that back in the day you NEVER you went into a stall without checking to see if there was any TP because odds where there was none. Then came along the mega rolls that have solved that problem.

New one:
th
My biggest beef with TP in public restrooms is that whoever installs the rolls doesn't actually sit on the toilet when doing so. If they did, it certainly wouldn't be put right where your knee is...

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
--Deleted--

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Very interesting.

No telling what the future holds, but up until now, imho, it's far and away the CELL PHONE.

In an instant anyone can talk or communicate in real time with anyone else on the planet,
or within seconds you can find out about anything and everything you need to.
Information is at one's fingertips, and it's already changed the world in many ways.

The study of Time itself, and the breakthrough possibility of Time Travel is the only thing
that truly fascinates me going forward. Going from NYC to London in 20 minutes is nothing,
and most likely doable, but it's the traveling to the London of 1890 that piques my interest.

(Two things that my heart truly hopes will happen soon are restoring sight to the blind by whatever means, and curing cancer.
I feel that these are just a short time away from being realities.)

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
For me, I think it is simply the amount of information available. Especially on YouTube. You can find out how to fix just about anything by watching a video. Also, the number of people who have made careers out of YouTUbe is astounding. An ordinary Joe can become a "YouTube personality" and create a considerable income from it. You don't need a TV show anymore to become "famous".

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first thing that came to my mind was the increase in racism. My 30-years-ago-self would have predicted that we would have seen great strides in eliminating racism by 2020. Sadly I think we have headed the opposite direction.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
When I was a freshman at UCLA we had to read Future Shock in an Urban Geography class. I've thought it would be interesting to re-read the 1973 issue of that book. Thank goodness I actually finished the book as scheduled, because the professor had us go around the room telling the part we found most interesting, with no repeats for 40 students. I honestly don't recall anything from the book, but I don't think anything like a cell phone or a tablet was mentioned.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have another one (also based on a recent conversation while driving around TX). It went something like "I would have killed you years ago if we still had to get around using a paper map."

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is my list of changes: cable tv with hundreds of channels, watching worldwide news & weather being broadcast 24/7; cell phones that are mini computers that you can hold in the palm of your hand, retail shopping on a computer, IPAD, cell phone and receiving your order in one or two days.

Texting on your cell phone

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
My hairline.

Cheers

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have another one (also based on a recent conversation while driving around TX). It went something like "I would have killed you years ago if we still had to get around using a paper map."

I love my paper maps! Though we use GPS/WAZE, I still keep my road atlas handy so I can see the big picture! And it has saved us from quite a number of GPS mistakes!

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Along the lines of paying for water, who would have thought that people would pay more for water than they pay for gasoline even when they could still get it for free.