• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Restructuring my HGVC holdings

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
There have been several threads about buying "the right" HGVC and also about eBay. I have read those and seen good advice. I'm starting a new thread because I want to do more than just buy something new. I want to sell some as well.

Here's the deal:

We have W. 57th and we're not gonna touch that.

We have 2 Flamingo 5000 Gold 2BR. Certainly not ideal in terms of MF/point. We would want to sell these, and know we'll take a loss.

We like the 10,000 point range and I'm currently looking at an eBay listing for 9600 at Boulevard. 2d left, currently just over $8K. Seller indicates "free title and closing." Doesn't want a Credit Card, but I will likely contact and offer them like 3% for taking it.

Overall, this seems a good deal, if I can get it under about $1/point. I don't see MFs for the 3BR here, but they list $1112, which is quite reasonable.

Probably not likely to get them to pay HGVC closing fees, but can certainly ask :)

We're thinking to buy this first, even though it may mean carrying the extra MF into next year, or maybe listing the sales simultaneously.

If we we work with one of the brokers here, it is on the order of $1K in their fees, and the sales price would not be high, so a lot of loss. Don't really know the ins and outs of selling, but maybe it is worth to research, or enlist the aid of someone here who has done it...for a fee, of course.

Any thoughts on what we're trying to do here are most welcome.

Edit to add: Currently all 10K 2020 points are intact.

Cheers.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
What are you currently paying for annual MF's for the 5000 point units at the Flamingo?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
$1049 per 5000 point contract, so about $0.21/point. This is a little less than twice what the Boulevard contract would cost.

So, let's say I could get like $1500/contract for the ones I have. That's $3000. Let's say I paid even $1/point, so $9600 for this one. Then it would take a bit under 7 years to break even. Hmmm...now seeing if this makes sense with this contract.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
I like your plan. I went with the same unit after tiring of the constant nickel and dime of multiple weeks and the "buy where you want to stay" theory unnecessarily costing me a small fortune. Best of luck winning the auction at a price that beats ROFR.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
$1049 per 5000 point contract, so about $0.21/point. This is a little less than twice what the Boulevard contract would cost.

So, let's say I could get like $1500/contract for the ones I have. That's $3000. Let's say I paid even $1/point, so $9600 for this one. Then it would take a bit under 7 years to break even. Hmmm...now seeing if this makes sense with this contract.

Cheers.

At the end of that seven years it is likely the larger unit would still have more value than the 2 gold units.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
May I ask how recently you purchased and what you got it for? (Probably in for ROFR database, but may make sense to have it consolidated here).

Cheers.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
We have 7000 point 2 bdrm platinum at the Boulevard and fees are ~ $850 = $0.012.2 per point (HGVC Club fee is on top of this).

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to add in all the closing costs and activation fees. Although still a pretty good deal, IF you can get it at $9600. Something tells me it'll go for more than that since all the other listings I've seen elsewhere are like $18,000 or more. But there are always some good deals that crop up (like I got that Flamingo 7,000 points for $2500 plus closing costs, so go figure).

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to add in all the closing costs and activation fees. Although still a pretty good deal, IF you can get it at $9600. Something tells me it'll go for more than that since all the other listings I've seen elsewhere are like $18,000 or more. But there are always some good deals that crop up (like I got that Flamingo 7,000 points for $2500 plus closing costs, so go figure).

I assume that yours was eBay? For me, I'll just bid what I want to pay and be willing to let it go if it goes over :)

Cheers.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
That really is good. Seems I may want to keep looking as no real hurry :)
Was it one with few bids (the one I'm looking at is up top 80 bids)

Also curious about the eBay winners: did they want check as opposed to Credit Card? I'm somewhat leery of that and willing to add a few percent (maybe 3%) to have them take the Credit Card.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Bao Nguyen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar

Also curious about the eBay winners: did they want check as opposed to Credit Card? I'm somewhat leery of that and willing to add a few percent (maybe 3%) to have them take the Credit Card.

Cheers.
My deal has option to pay with credit card . I don’t bid on any cash deal . 3% about $225 just a piece of mind .
MF is due soon , you will see a lot of people dumb their timeshare . Don’t rush ...

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume that yours was eBay? For me, I'll just bid what I want to pay and be willing to let it go if it goes over :)

Cheers.

No, not eBay. Random listing on Judi's website. The seller was just wanting to dump/get rid of it.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

Cheers.

Yeah, I'm a little leery of the money order/personal check only. Granted, the seller has a 100% positive rating, but no way I'd pay that way. Credit card to "hold" the transaction and certified check to pay at closing/escrow, IMO.

It would be one thing if it's like a $500 sales price, IMO.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another option that has been mentioned in other threads is the Scotland properties. MFs are low as are the transfer fees.

Cheers.

amirh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Craigendarroch Lodges
Another option that has been mentioned in other threads is the Scotland properties. MFs are low as are the transfer fees.

Cheers.
I can attest to that. Bought a 7000 point 2br week 52 for $6k at Craigendarroch. Start to finish was 3 weeks! No deed, perpetual right to use. You take a gamble on exchange rate, but it was a risk I was willing to take. On top of that, used my Amex aspire (or whatever they call it this week) to pay MF and transfer fees and got the kickback. That property is eligible for II from what I understand but I haven’t looked into it yet.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like the 10,000 point range and I'm currently looking at an eBay listing for 9600 at Boulevard. 2d left, currently just over $8K. Seller indicates "free title and closing." Doesn't want a Credit Card, but I will likely contact and offer them like 3% for taking it..

Well, they very quickly (within 1 day) sent the estoppel. All fees paid for this year. Some saved points (estoppel date of July 25). All future points available. And they will take a Credit Card if I add 3%. I believe that Boulevard is one of the properties where "$1/point" is still considered good, yes?

Secondary question: If I want to sell my timeshare myself (and not use a formal Realtor), and I'm willing to list and find the buyer...do I need to know much about the process or just pay a Transfer Company to handle all of that, i.e. is the difference between Realtor and Transfer Company just the listing, marketing and negotiating?

Cheers.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, they very quickly (within 1 day) sent the estoppel. All fees paid for this year. Some saved points (estoppel date of July 25). All future points available. And they will take a Credit Card if I add 3%. I believe that Boulevard is one of the properties where "$1/point" is still considered good, yes?

Secondary question: If I want to sell my timeshare myself (and not use a formal Realtor), and I'm willing to list and find the buyer...do I need to know much about the process or just pay a Transfer Company to handle all of that, i.e. is the difference between Realtor and Transfer Company just the listing, marketing and negotiating?

Cheers.

Yes, I'd say $1/point for the 7k or higher points for Blvd is "good". Just my opinion of course.

Yes, if you use LT Transfers, they'll pretty much walk you through everything in terms of handling the sale and such. I'd then list them on TUG first (IMO), not sure about eBay.

If you go through the brokers that are generally recommended for buying resale, they will probably charge a commission or flat fee (probably $1,000 last time I checked), so you have to weigh that into your decision making.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
You can also list on Redweek for a small fee. Use a closing company for the paperwork e.g. LT Transfers as recommended previously.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can also list on Redweek for a small fee. Use a closing company for the paperwork e.g. LT Transfers as recommended previously.

Thanks. Got an offer from Judi's group for $750 each (because I've bought several from them). Maybe it's worth it to have them to all the work in this case?

Cheers.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Got an offer from Judi's group for $750 each (because I've bought several from them).

That is good to know.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Easy to do with a broker. Can you list with a broker and also list yourself?