• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Being photographed while on vacation

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
If you stay at a timeshare resort do you and your family expect (or consent) to be photographed while you are outside on the property, and then have said photo used in promotional material for the resort? A member of a Diamond Resorts Facebook group noticed this sign by the pool at Turtle Cay Resort (VA). Has anybody ever seen anything like this at other resorts? We never have but I will be looking for signs now!

70405915_2382857231800198_2925019032341970944_n.jpg

~Diane

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I have never seen a sign like that at any timeshare resort, but I somehow doubt it is a permanent sign. It seems to be a blanket waiver for anyone in the background or "crowd" and has the appearance of a temporary sign.

I suspect that they are in the process of having new, updated pictures done for the resort for their advertising and/or website. They might have decided to use this type of general waiver, rather than just closing access to the area and using professional models only, which would have inconvenienced their guests. Just a guess.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anybody points a camera at us and we tell 'em we're on a 'witness (witless) protection program' and they stop. :)

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Assuming this a public area of the resort, like CanuckTravlr noted above, perhaps they're doing some advertising of some sort or plan to.

Of course, If I found it my room, than I would worry.

Just a bit of additional protection for the resort's management if they use your picture. We really can't have or be entitled to an expectation of privacy in a public area. Keeps them from going up to each and every person and letting them know.

Just smile and wave to the cameras. :wave:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Assuming this a public area of the resort, like CanuckTravlr noted above, perhaps they're doing some advertising of some sort or plan to.

Of course, If I found it my room, than I would worry.

Just a bit of additional protection for the resort's management if they use your picture. We really can't have or be entitled to an expectation of privacy in a public area. Keeps them from going up to each and every person and letting them know.

Just smile and wave to the cameras. :wave:

YEP, I am with you there.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
When we arrived Wyndham/Worldmark Reunion (Orlando area) last Dec, the standard check-in paperwork included a photo consent/release section. I sat down with my magnifier glass to read the multi-page check-in paperwork and struck out that section before signing and handing it back. The desk clerk didn't bat an eye or speak a word regarding my edit??

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never seen this sign in forty years of travel.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Using one's likeness in a photo for business/advertising is a far cry from taking someone in the background of a vacation photo. This "waiver" would never hold up in a jurisdiction where one owns the rights to their own image (such as California.)

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a blanket policy, I think it is very creepy. Even without the issue of facial recognition technology, I don't want resorts taking photos of my family on vacation, so they can to do whatever they want with those images in perpetuity. I don't want my child's photo displayed, edited, revised, distributed, made into derivative works at the sole discretion of Diamond employees or assignees. As a paying guest, you'd give consent to this to use the resort's facilities???? No way.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
I could care less...

George
Ditto....but it is the way the resort obtains your consent...kind of under handed. Anyone know if this brand is known for other underhanded "Timeshare games"? LOL...I know the answer. The correct way is to post a sign (at the entrance)..from 2 pm to 6 pm today, date, we are taking promotional pictures. Your image may be captured in the background and used...why sneak around?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Except use of audio/images is not limited to promotional purposes. I don't wear a tin foil hat (very often ;)), but there are enough companies who gather information on us already, I don't want my family's privacy invaded where we pay to be on vacation.

Reaction score
I visit so many resorts in the world but don't see a sign like this. I think this sign is temporarily present there or for somedays maybe.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Anybody points a camera at us and we tell 'em we're on a 'witness (witless) protection program' and they stop. :)

I keep smiling when I think of this. I am SO going to steal it! Thanks for laughs you often provide.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I keep smiling when I think of this. I am SO going to steal it! Thanks for laughs you often provide.
Be well. You are truly in our thoughts today.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Be well. You are truly in our thoughts today.

Thanks! The eye is above us now and the worst should be over for us. We still have power but just lost cable & WiFi. It’s been interesting to watch out the back French doors. All in all, this has been a tropical storm for us.

Reaction score
I love to shoot photos at the time-traveling, and it's become a great hobby now for all the tourist, and this makes our journey also fulfill.