• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

This is the Bahamas.This is what Hurricane Dorian did to it

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Any storm that is a Cat 5 that stays over the same islands for a 48 hour period, ( or longer) that island is going to be in very bad shape. Grand Bahama and Great Abaco areas took the brunt of the storm. New Province, where Nassau, is didn't even have the airport closed, although flights were canceled.

Death toll is 20 and my guess is that is a just a fraction, the real toll will be revealed as the rescue and recovery starts.

Strange storm, that is for sure.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
When we visited the Caribbean last year many of the cruise port islands were still recovering from the last Cat 5 hurricane.

Recovery is going to be very long and sad for many of the people in the Caribbean IMHO . Wind and water damage destroyed many many homes.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unbelievable and sad. We went through Sandy. I can definitely imagine and feel so bad for them :(

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Did any of you see the broadcast last night by the Prime Minister of Grand Bahama? If I understood him correctly I was stunned. I couldn't believe he said that 70% still have homes on Grand Bahama and that the flooding has receded. He followed by saying that the worst of it will be the psychological aspect for the people. Sheesh! For someone needing so much help, why would he down play it?

We are riding it out well so far. Tropical storm conditions this AM. Still have power, though our kids over on James Island lost theirs last night. That's common for their area and it's usually out for days. We have a few minor landscape problems thus far and are periodically hearing a strange sound from one side of the house outside. The worst is yet to come.

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Glynda stay safe. We are in the Carolinas also.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
We are riding it out well so far. Tropical storm conditions this AM. Still have power, though our kids over on James Island lost theirs last night. That's common for their area and it's usually out for days. We have a few minor landscape problems thus far and are periodically hearing a strange sound from one side of the house outside. The worst is yet to come.

Glad that the eye of Dorian ended up staying mostly offshore and that you were (at least this morning) getting on fairly well. Hope that has continued throughout the day and you are now coming out of it. i did see some shots on CNN this evening of some streets partly flooded in the Charleston historic district. Seemed to be farther south toward Battery Park, from what I could tell. Stay safe.

Did any of you see the broadcast last night by the Prime Minister of Grand Bahama? If I understood him correctly I was stunned. I couldn't believe he said that 70% still have homes on Grand Bahama and that the flooding has receded. He followed by saying that the worst of it will be the psychological aspect for the people. Sheesh! For someone needing so much help, why would he down play it?

Just to clarify, he is the Prime Minister of The Bahamas, not Grand Bahama. That may be where the confusion over the 70% figure is occurring. He may be referring to The Bahamas as a country in total. Grand Bahama is only one of over 700 islands in The Bahamas. It is one of the larger northern islands and is where the second largest city (Freeport) and airport are located. It was one of the two main island areas that took the brunt of the impact of Hurricane Dorian. The other is the Abaco Islands to the east, which appear to have been truly decimated.

Two other major islands, Andros Island and New Providence Island (where the capital Nassau is located), to the south and west were not significantly impacted. That is fortunate, since it means there is at least the one main airport still operational and a functioning base from which the government and rescuers can co-ordinate their rescue and recovery efforts. Unfortunately, The Bahamas are spread out over hundreds of thousands of square kilometres of ocean.

They certainly need lots of help, and quickly, to keep the death toll from rising further. It will certainly not stay in the double digits. I know the USA, UK and Canada all have supplies, equipment and crews positioned nearby to help out, with more on the way. Let's hope they are able to intervene in time to save thousands of those lives that are still in danger due to a lack of food, water and shelter.

My prayers are with all of those that have been affected by this massive and deadly hurricane, but with a special thought for those so seriously affected in The Bahamas. They will need a lot of help in the coming months and years to both survive and rebuild.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Glynda stay safe. We are in the Carolinas also.

I hope all went well for you too! We've been cleaning up the landscape mess today, though nothing major. We, and some neighbors, got out early this morning and shared in cleaning up of our street and sidewalks. Haven't checked our other house here yet but don't expect anything different. It's more sheltered than the house we live in.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glad that the eye of Dorian ended up staying mostly offshore and that you were (at least this morning) getting on fairly well. Hope that has continued throughout the day and you are now coming out of it. i did see some shots on CNN this evening of some streets partly flooded in the Charleston historic district. Seemed to be farther south toward Battery Park, from what I could tell. Stay safe.

Just to clarify, he is the Prime Minister of The Bahamas, not Grand Bahama. That may be where the confusion over the 70% figure is occurring. He may be referring to The Bahamas as a country in total. Grand Bahama is only one of over 700 islands in The Bahamas. It is one of the larger northern islands and is where the second largest city (Freeport) and airport are located. It was one of the two main island areas that took the brunt of the impact of Hurricane Dorian. The other is the Abaco Islands to the east, which appear to have been truly decimated.

Two other major islands, Andros Island and New Providence Island (where the capital Nassau is located), to the south and west were not significantly impacted. That is fortunate, since it means there is at least the one main airport still operational and a functioning base from which the government and rescuers can co-ordinate their rescue and recovery efforts. Unfortunately, The Bahamas are spread out over hundreds of thousands of square kilometres of ocean.

They certainly need lots of help, and quickly, to keep the death toll from rising further. It will certainly not stay in the double digits. I know the USA, UK and Canada all have supplies, equipment and crews positioned nearby to help out, with more on the way. Let's hope they are able to intervene in time to save thousands of those lives that are still in danger due to a lack of food, water and shelter.

My prayers are with all of those that have been affected by this massive and deadly hurricane, but with a special thought for those so seriously affected in The Bahamas. They will need a lot of help in the coming months and years to both survive and rebuild.

You will see shots on TV of Charleston flooding on a full moon high tide without rain or a storm! If the camera man turned around in a circle, he would capture high and dry behind him most of the time. It's the Lowcountry and the Battery is partly built on fill and former creeks & marsh. The City Market is also often shown on TV as being flooded. It was built on a former creek that was filled way back. There's usually only a small area now that floods in the market area as the city has done some work in the area. It recedes quickly too. But that doesn't stop the media from filming that section and leaving the impression that it's worse than it is. Ratings, I guess, and a lot of time to fill on air. That's not to say that we aren't flooding more often and in areas we haven't before. It seems as if the city fixes one area and the water moves to another. I think I read that, at that time, there were 150 applications for permits to raise historic houses. We're going to see more of that.

Thanks for the clarification. I did know that he was referring to the whole of the Bahamas. Should have re-read it as to the title. To me, he seemed to talk more of what didn't happen than what did. Not the best way to enlist help, IMO.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
You will see shots on TV of Charleston flooding on a full moon high tide without rain or a storm! If the camera man turned around in a circle, he would capture high and dry behind him most of the time. It's the Lowcountry and the Battery is partly built on fill and former creeks & marsh. The City Market is also often shown on TV as being flooded. It was built on a former creek that was filled way back. There's usually only a small area now that floods in the market area as the city has done some work in the area. It recedes quickly too. But that doesn't stop the media from filming that section and leaving the impression that it's worse than it is. Ratings, I guess, and a lot of time to fill on air. That's not to say that we aren't flooding more often and in areas we haven't before. It seems as if the city fixes one area and the water moves to another. I think I read that, at that time, there were 150 applications for permits to raise historic houses. We're going to see more of that.

Thanks for the clarification. I did know that he was referring to the whole of the Bahamas. Should have re-read it as to the title. To me, he seemed to talk more of what didn't happen than what did. Not the best way to enlist help, IMO.

Thanks, Glynda. Glad to hear the flooding is more limited than it sometimes seems on TV and that you seem to be doing just fine. Ever since 9/11 when they showed a group of people in a Middle Eastern refugee camp celebrating on the collapse of the World Trade Center buildings and showed "everyone" wearing masks in Toronto during the SARS crisis in 2003, I have taken such reports with a large grain of salt until I can do my own corroboration from more local sources.

It turned out that several other journalists on the scene in the camp at the time, later said it was just a small group of maybe 50 or so radicals that were celebrating at one single intersection of the camp, knowing the American cameras were there. If they had just panned back it would have been more obvious that no one else was celebrating in the massive camp!

And with respect to the SARS issue, I was shocked at the time by the reporting, because the only place I had seen masks on anyone here in Toronto during the crisis was for those taking a break outside the two hospitals where they were actually treating SARS patients. But the media blew it all out of proportion and it actually caused a decline in tourism that summer. It is one of the reasons why many news media generally do not always have the best reputation these days, even some of the old standbys. The old news departments were quite different, IMO, such as CBS in the era of people like Walter Cronkite. Today it seems to be much more about "sound" and "video" bites and the eternal race for ratings shares. Very little in-depth reporting and very sad, IMO.

With respect to the Bahamian PM, I suspect his motive behind putting a good face on the crisis has a lot to do with tourism. Unlike places like Toronto, which has a very broad economy and can easily withstand a short-term reduction in tourism, that is not the case with many Caribbean nations. They depend upon tourism to drive just about everything in their economies. So he was probably trying to walk the fine line between letting the world know how desperately they need help for those areas hit by Dorian, while still encouraging tourists to visit the areas not affected and not to cancel their plans.

For those tourists that already had bookings in places like Andros, Nassau and the Eleuthras, they needed to let them know that things were fine and Nassau airport and their hosts were ready and waiting for them. I have already seen appeals from the Bahamas for people to help support their recovery efforts by not cancelling if they are staying somewhere other than Grand Bahama or the Abacos. They are encouraging others to "come on down" and help support everyone by visiting and leaving behind their hard currencies.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
If anyone is interested in following the situation and the recovery efforts in the Abaco Islands in the Bahamas, this is a link to an Abaco Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/52257991478/

This Abaco forum contains a wealth of information about recovery efforts and conditions on Great Abaco and the outer Cays:
http://abacoforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

This is no way important now, but there were 3 timeshares in the Abacos:

Suncrest Treasure Villas, Treasure Cay, Great Abaco Island
Abaco Towns by the Sea, Marsh Harbour, Great Abaco Island
Oceanfrontier Vacation Club, Great Guana Cay

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Washington Post article on the fact that Nassau and other islands beyond Abaco and Grand Bahama are very much open for business (and desperately wanting tourists to know this in that the Bahamas need their revenue).

(You might not be able to access the article without a subscription, but the sum and substance of the article is in the sentence above.)