• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Add II membership to trade Harbortown Point?

stevenh21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Flagstaff, Wyndham Fairfield Plantation, Harbortown Point(Ventura, CA)
We have a prime season floating week at Harbortown Point in Ventura, CA. It is a one br, which is basically a studio with a hotel unit lock off, weeks 21 to 37. We are making our 18th trip since purchasing this in 2002 on resale market. Prior to that we traded into it using RCI trades with our other two timeshares, Flagstaff and Villa Rica, GA probably 4 times. In 2020 we have too many trips planned and will need to bank this week. It has dual affiliation with RCI and Interval. Would it be a good idea to start an II membership to see if it works well for our needs?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I have both. I like the ability to trade into other Systems such as MVC, Hyatt, Or other Independents.
I know ppl also use SFX but I don’t want to pay for a 3rd trading partner

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Does II have resorts or destinations you want that you can't get thru RCI?

When one of my resorts first dual-affiliated, they gave all owners free memberships and then one free exchange. I didn't think I'd like II but I had nothing to lose, so I tried it. Turns out I do like it - especially ePlus which allows 3 retrades for 1 relatively low fee - so I've re-upped my membership and deposited a few subsequent years. Currently I own 2 weeks at the same resort and have been depositing one to each - RCI for TPU's which often get me more than 1-for-1 wk exchange, and also no upgrade fee for larger units - except an occasional trade thru Platinum Interchange.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I much prefer II over RCI. I would definitely switch to II, but that is me.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had RCI weeks and then RCI points for about 11 years. I then switched to II and have it for 12 years now and have never looked back. Resorts in II have many nice brand names resorts - Marriott, Vistana (Westin and Sheraton) and Hyatt. II = quality, RCI = quantity.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
We have a prime season floating week at Harbortown Point in Ventura, CA. It is a one br, which is basically a studio with a hotel unit lock off, weeks 21 to 37. We are making our 18th trip since purchasing this in 2002 on resale market. Prior to that we traded into it using RCI trades with our other two timeshares, Flagstaff and Villa Rica, GA probably 4 times. In 2020 we have too many trips planned and will need to bank this week. It has dual affiliation with RCI and Interval. Would it be a good idea to start an II membership to see if it works well for our needs?
Why don't you give it a try? Your deposit will be good (for exchange purposes) up to 2 years from the check-in date of your week reservation. Since you are in Arizona - - if you are like me in S. Calif. - - you perhaps do drive-to vacations. There is a lot of ii inventory in Sedona, Phoenix (Sheraton Desert Oasis, Marriott Canyon Villas, etc.). You can exchange to get into Marriott Newport Coast (Ca.) and Marriott Timberlodge (Tahoe) if you are flexible on dates.

BTW, we stayed at Harbortown point on an ii exchange and enjoyed it. But our unit was in a spot where it didn't get any of the typical breezes and the lack of AC and abnormally warm weather made it a little uncomfortable. But it was a friendly place and I'd like to go back.

stevenh21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks to all for the replies. We had our 10 hours of travel yesterday, with 3 areas of traffic crawl. It was worth it when we arrived to 72 degrees and nice breezes by the harbor. Nice change from the AZ desert.

I like the ability to trade into more upscale resorts. We have traded to Vistana in FL twice: had to rent to get Marriott Newport Coast. Don't have any experience with Hyatt or Westin, except for reading on TUG. Bucket list includes Key West, but it usually pops up on RCI last minute.

I tried to join ii Thurs evening online. I will need to call to actually do this.

BJR, unfortunate that you were at Harbortown when it was hot. That has happened to us 2 or 3 trips. We usually come here in June or Sept when it is cooler.

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
I am new to all this, so this is my recent experience. I recently acquired a few resale units with a focus on value trading. I have a 49K annual Grandview in RCI, with 170K banked points, and a couple of SDO 1 bedrooms trading in II. I have been playing with both and have upcoming reservations in both.

(1) RCI clearly has more inventory, but alot of junk. Nonetheless it got me a 2020 Week 7 at Steamboat for skiing. So score for peak season skiing at a great hill with decent accommodations;

(2) II doesn't have the same volume inventory, but they have decent access to high quality stuff that works for those of us using a cheap trader. I have week booked at Marriott Grand Ocean in a two bedroom for my small 1 bedroom SDO;

(3) The real difference is the online experience. RCI's website is still waiting for Y2K. It is truely awful and reminds me of when we had dial-up internet. Amazing that it could be this bad in this day and age. Not that II's online experience is leading edge, but at least it works. II is decent. RCI just spins for 5 minutes with every click. I rarely search RCI as it is such crap. Very pleased with my II experience. RCI is bad enough that I may give my Grandview away.

My novice 2 cents.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I have much better luck finding resorts where we want to go with RCI. I would have dropped II years ago, but I have one resort that is affiliated with II only. I haven't deposited any of my dual-affiliated weeks with them in many years.

YMMV.

Sheila

Ski-Dad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Grandview LV - Vacation Villages
Sarcasm is lost when it has to be explained.

Waiting for Y2k suggests it is pre-2000, which if you try and search for an exchange on RCI is precisely what it feels like. Sitting in the family room on my Dell PC, while the dial up spins and spins and spins.

stevenh21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I finally called II today to set up membership. I was surprised that the info I entered 12 days ago actually saved, so just had to confirm and finish. Rep asked how many years to start. I replied 1 year and 2 more if buy one get one free was available. I ended up being offered BOGO for the initial membership for 2 years to start. Can add 2 more when there is another sale. Will be searching for HYI Hyatt Highlands Inn, Carmel CA and Hyatts in Key West.