• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVCI Owner - Experience at Vistana Harborside Resort (Including Mini Presentation)

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Thanks for trying to combat the Fake News posted with the sole intention to confuse.

It's not fake news. I was just trying to get my point across. If you will be annoyed by something like no elite nights when resort has nothing to do with Marriott or quality of a resort at isolated island in middle of water and resources are limited, just stay at MVC and be happy. HRA and WKORV are great resorts, but just might not for few.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For Bluegreen and HGVC they make it clear which resorts are club resorts and which are just affiliated resorts. Although BG has a couple that are club resorts and not managed by the club so the example may be more accurate there. But even within MVC (and all others systems I have experience with) there is some variability in terms of experience and quality.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We spent all of about 30 minutes in a 2BR at Harborside last December during our cruise stop. As far as the furnishings, I would have compared it to the Westin Lagunamar. The furnishings seemed fairly well made and high end. There were granite countertops throughout but the cabinets were perhaps a little rough, but no worse than some we have seen at Marriott properties. The floor tile in the walk in shower didn't look very good. Did it compare to Maui Ocean Club or Aruba Surf Club, certainly not, but I wouldn't say it was bad. Perhaps we somehow ended up with a renovated unit? Here is a video I made of the unit.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
It's not fake news. I was just trying to get my point across. If you will be annoyed by something like no elite nights when resort has nothing to do with Marriott or quality of a resort at isolated island in middle of water and resources are limited, just stay at MVC and be happy.

And the purpose of this one much earlier in the thread?

I totally agree MVC is higher quality. Should stay with MVC, that's no brainer. Westin or Vistana doesn't live up to MVC standards.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And the purpose of this one much earlier in the thread?

If you read clearly. It was a response to another post earlier. Not sure why you didn't pick that post up, but had issue with my post when it was just a joke?

Yes, Vistana is lower quality compared to MVC. Especially in HI, St. John and Mexico where there is an evil wizard. Stay far far away (so we can keep it to ourselves!) LoL

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If you read clearly. It was a response to another post earlier. Not sure why you didn't pick that post up, but had issue with my post when it was just a joke?
I think the joke is getting a little old...

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the joke is getting a little old...

Yes, we should stop. I just want my point across, if these little things at HRA bother you, Aruba is better.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent all of about 30 minutes in a 2BR at Harborside last December during our cruise stop. As far as the furnishings, I would have compared it to the Westin Lagunamar. The furnishings seemed fairly well made and high end. There were granite countertops throughout but the cabinets were perhaps a little rough, but no worse than some we have seen at Marriott properties. The floor tile in the walk in shower didn't look very good. Did it compare to Maui Ocean Club or Aruba Surf Club, certainly not, but I wouldn't say it was bad. Perhaps we somehow ended up with a renovated unit? Here is a video I made of the unit.
The OP seems to have an issue with the bathrooms at HRA and just by looking at the Lagunamar and Harbourside pictures on Tripadviser I do not see any resemblance

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Re...egationId=101&albumid=19&filter=2&ff=29810713

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Re...gationId=101&albumid=19&filter=2&ff=347434609

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
The OP seems to have an issue with the bathrooms at HRA and just by looking at the Lagunamar and Harbourside pictures on Tripadviser I do not see any resemblance

My original post was not about the “bathrooms” at HRA per se, but rather my impression of the overall appearance of Harborside (the exteriors and interiors of the villas including the condition of the furnishings, tile and bathrooms) as opposed to my experiences as a MVCI owner. I had believed VSE properties were considered to be on par with MVCI properties, and through this thread learned that HRA is not really a Westin/Vistana property but rather a “third party” property managed through the VSE system.

The other part of my post had to do with what was being offered vis-a-vis ownership at HRA and in the VSE system.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA does have some weird colors and might not being built within US standards compared to most of MVC resorts. I think Marriott built Aruba resorts? Overall HRA is still a very nice resort and a decent place to visit, I would have no issue to visit every few years.

Just like WKORV’s location, HRA will not be appealing to few MVC ppl with its pros and cons. If you watched @dioxide45 video, HRA is just not that luxury as some domestic MVC places. HRA is just a good resort in another country getting first and direct hurricane impact every year. OP should just stick to MVC resorts and be happy with these, they are really good.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
My original post was not about the “bathrooms” at HRA per se, but rather my impression of the overall appearance of Harborside (the exteriors and interiors of the villas including the condition of the furnishings, tile and bathrooms) as opposed to my experiences as a MVCI owner. I had believed VSE properties were considered to be on par with MVCI properties, and through this thread learned that HRA is not really a Westin/Vistana property but rather a “third party” property managed through the VSE system.

The other part of my post had to do with what was being offered vis-a-vis ownership at HRA and in the VSE system.
I think even most Vistana owners do not know the ownership structure at Harbourside. Talking about the exterior appearance, I just took this picture last week at Westin Los Cabos. Hard to see the details (I had to downsize the pic) but everything is impeccable.

upload_2019-9-5_23-14-56.png

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think even most Vistana owners do not know the ownership structure at Harbourside. Talking about the exterior appearance, I just took this picture last week at Westin Los Cabos. Hard to see the details (I had to downsize the pic) but everything is impeccable.

View attachment 13864

As a MVC owner, Westin Los Cabos is the only Vistana resort we have stayed at, but we've been there twice, and it is one of the best if not THE best timeshare we have ever stayed at. Certainly equal to and more probably superior to any Marriott as far as the overall property and the accommodations. If there is ever a cost effective way to use our MVC ownership at VSE resorts, the Westin Los Cabos will be a main attraction for us.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a MVC owner, Westin Los Cabos is the only Vistana resort we have stayed at, but we've been there twice, and it is one of the best if not THE best timeshare we have ever stayed at. Certainly equal to and more probably superior to any Marriott as far as the overall property and the accommodations. If there is ever a cost effective way to use our MVC ownership at VSE resorts, the Westin Los Cabos will be a main attraction for us.

I bet this is one of the best infinity pools of any Marriott owned resort

upload_2019-9-6_7-58-56.png

and this is one of the best ocean views from any MVC condo

upload_2019-9-6_8-10-53.png

(both pictures taken at Westin Lagunamar in Cancun)

Last edited:

dunwu

Reaction score
I own both systems, and stayed quite a few resorts in both. In my opinion in terms of average quality, Westin > Marriott >> Vistana. If the destination has both Westin and Marriott, I normally pick Westin, for instance in Maui, Palm desert, AZ, VI/St Thomas, plus Westin Lagunamar one of my favorite. The strength of Marriott is more locations, and I still prefer Marriott for ski trips.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
We love Harborside. I find the quality of the units just fine. The last time we were at Frenchman's Cove, there were tiles missing from the living room floor and the King bed in my daughter's unit was really a queen. My biggest complaint with Harborside is that there are no ovens and no BBQ grills. I believe it is a conspiracy to force us into the expensive Atlantis restaurants. The maintenance fees are high. My daughter and I own 4 3-bedroom weeks @ $3,700 each. My thought on that is what would be the maintenance fees on Orlando timeshares if they included daily access to the Parks? I especially like the lock-offs I have at Harborside and at Kierland Villas that are a full one-bedroom, not just a bedroom with a microwave like the Marriotts.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I own both systems, and stayed quite a few resorts in both. In my opinion in terms of average quality, Westin > Marriott >> Vistana. If the destination has both Westin and Marriott, I normally pick Westin, for instance in Maui, Palm desert, AZ, VI/St Thomas, plus Westin Lagunamar one of my favorite. The strength of Marriott is more locations, and I still prefer Marriott for ski trips.

I totally agree with your rankings. I think my favorite anywhere is Westin Lagunamar and I love Harborside for the amenities. Westin Kierland Villas is a beautiful resort especially with access to the hotel amenities next door. I'm not a big fan of baseball or golf, but their hotel water park is beautiful and the units are first-rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
We love Harborside. I find the quality of the units just fine. The last time we were at Frenchman's Cove, there were tiles missing from the living room floor and the King bed in my daughter's unit was really a queen. My biggest complaint with Harborside is that there are no ovens and no BBQ grills. I believe it is a conspiracy to force us into the expensive Atlantis restaurants. The maintenance fees are high. My daughter and I own 4 3-bedroom weeks @ $3,700 each. My thought on that is what would be the maintenance fees on Orlando timeshares if they included daily access to the Parks? I especially like the lock-offs I have at Harborside and at Kierland Villas that are a full one-bedroom, not just a bedroom with a microwave like the Marriotts.
In your MF's, does it list a per week fee for the Atlantis privlidges...and if so, care to share what that amount is?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The studio units at WKORVN are complete with a washer and dryer. So very self-sufficent. So if you have a full 2 bedroom, you have two washers and dryers to get that done more quickly. MOC doesn't have that. The kitchens at the older MOC are not full kitchens either, but the towers have them. Would like an oven at WKORVN but have heard that they are adding them in the next reno. Lots of available BBQs. The Ritz Kapalua residences had neither ovens nor BBQs and a wimpy refrigerator.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In your MF's, does it list a per week fee for the Atlantis privlidges...and if so, care to share what that amount is?

I've never noticed. I do know that cruise ship passengers have to pay $130-150 per person per day for access. I'm sure Harborside isn't paying that much, but that totals $130 x 10 people x 7=$9100 in my 3 bedroom which is why it is an excellent rental.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
maybe we should start to post the annual budgets online so we can compare resorts and see what is out of ordinary. I looked at SVV Bella and Lagunamar for example, I still do not understand why the internet at Lagunamar costs 300,000 a year while at SVV Bella only 50,000 year (for the same unit size).

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
maybe we should start to post the annual budgets online so we can compare resorts and see what is out of ordinary. I looked at SVV Bella and Lagunamar for example, I still do not understand why the internet at Lagunamar costs 300,000 a year while at SVV Bella only 50,000 year (for the same unit size).
Is the budget at Lagunamar in US$?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
As a MVC owner, Westin Los Cabos is the only Vistana resort we have stayed at, but we've been there twice, and it is one of the best if not THE best timeshare we have ever stayed at. Certainly equal to and more probably superior to any Marriott as far as the overall property and the accommodations.
Jim, if you ever stay at Kauai Lagoons, I would be interested to see how you compare their villas to those at Westin Los Cabos (where we have never been). To me, Kauai Lagoons is the cream of the crop of the Marriott system in terms of villa quality.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Jim, if you ever stay at Kauai Lagoons, I would be interested to see how you compare their villas to those at Westin Los Cabos (where we have never been). To me, Kauai Lagoons is the cream of the crop of the Marriott system in terms of villa quality.

Never stayed there but would love to sometime.

The thing that was cool about the Westin Los Cabos was the studio we stayed in had a cooktop, full refrigerator, microwave, and washer/dryer - something MVC studios don't have. We didn't need it since we got breakfast with our Bonvoy status and eat out for dinner, but I was impressed that the studios were that well equipped.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Never stayed there but would love to sometime.

The thing that was cool about the Westin Los Cabos was the studio we stayed in had a cooktop, full refrigerator, microwave, and washer/dryer - something MVC studios don't have. We didn't need it since we got breakfast with our Bonvoy status and eat out for dinner, but I was impressed that the studios were that well equipped.
Well equipped studios are so rare that when a resort has them it is awesome. Kauai Lagoons has no lockoffs, only 2BR and 3BR villas.