• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a Mandatory resort vs Voluntary and trading with preference

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
thanks. I'm wondering why buy mandatory if a SDO unit can trade for WKORV and also then why are people giving away SDO units for free or next to nothing?

Higher probability of success, ability to better pinpoint travel dates, greater ability to confirm trades sooner (resulting in lower airfares), and more generally, the ability to reserve what I want rather than what Vistana chose to deposit into Interval.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Higher probability of success,...and more generally, the ability to reserve what I want rather than what Vistana chose to deposit into Interval.

This. Many people were buying inexpensive traders in RCI with the expectation of trading into Disney. Over the past 5 years. Disney property deposits into RCI have dwindled. Now only see periodic sightings of their least desirable property and units no bigger than a 1 bedroom. II has more choices with more hotel branded TS than RCI but no guarantees as MVC now owns II and may restructure.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
thanks. I'm wondering why buy mandatory if a SDO unit can trade for WKORV and also then why are people giving away SDO units for free or next to nothing?
Only Mandatory resorts have StarOptions attached. All others much use II or RCI to trade w/in Vistana and other Systems.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
This. Many people were buying inexpensive traders in RCI with the expectation of trading into Disney. Over the past 5 years. Disney property deposits in RCI have dwindled. Now only see periodic sightings of their least desirable property and units no bigger than a 1 bedroom. II has more choices with more hotel branded TS than RCI but no guarantees as MVC now owns II and may restructure.
Since MVC runs II, it would be nice if they stopped the bulk and allowed owners to pick the week they want to deposit. I know it is pie in the sky since MVC uses II for MVC for trading.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If flexible-stay, view priority and unit selection is important to you SO Mandatory is better.

If you don't care about these attributes and want the absolute cheapest option (and enjoy the thrill of the hunt), then trading II may be a better pick.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Since MVC runs II, it would be nice if they stopped the bulk and allowed owners to pick the week they want to deposit. I know it is pie in the sky since MVC uses II for MVC for trading.
I prefer Vistana blended week deposits within the same season so that there is not an additional stress to book a desirable week right when booking becomes available.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer Vistana blended week deposits within the same season so that there is not an additional stress to book a desirable week right when booking becomes available.
I agree, the fact that you can deposit as late as December 31st of the current usage year and as early as January 1st for the next usage year without waiting for the "perfect" reservation is great. Besides, is there any evidence that the trading power is diminished this way?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No e
I agree, the fact that you can deposit as late as December 31st of the current usage year and as early as January 1st for the next usage year without waiting for the "perfect" reservation is great. Besides, is there any evidence that the trading power is diminished this way?
No evidence.

tshd

Reaction score
No e

No evidence.
Are you talking about when you deposit to II? Can you explain this a little more please, I'm not familiar at all with how Vistana trades in II. Thanks

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about when you deposit to II? Can you explain this a little more please, I'm not familiar at all with how Vistana trades in II. Thanks
Vistana deposits a blended week in the season owned, unless it is a true fixed week that does not float then the actual week is deposited. It does not matter how far in advance you deposit although I usually deposit a whole year before so that I get 3 years to exchange into a week and resort that I want.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Personally Maui isn’t appealing to me being from the east coast. I prefer star options to book harborside or St. John’s.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Personally Maui isn’t appealing to me being from the east coast. I prefer star options to book harborside or St. John’s.

Completely understandable. St. John has one of the prettiest and one of my most favorite beaches on the planet. However the plane ride and time zone changes from the west coast are simply too brutal. Taking 2 days to travel and adjust out of a limited vacation week is not worth it. When we are retired, we will return.

It's also very expensive to fly a family longer distances.

If we lived on the East Coast, the Caribbean would be a no brainer.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I am trying not to buy another timeshare but the bug has bitten and I have the itch.
My very first timeshare presentation was Westin Kierland many years ago when it was brand new. I liked the program and the resorts. I did not buy from Westin but found TUG and starting buying other resales. Since then I cant count them all but I have had Marriotts , HGVC, Wyndham, and lots of independents timeshares but never a Starwood.

Mandatory resort will cost me some money up front but has star options and a voluntary I can probably get for free but will end up paying II exchange fees on top of MF.

Which way works best for those that already own Westin/Vistana ?

Feel free to talk me out of both options!! I am trying to be strong and resist the urge but I already looked on ebay and the TUG bargain basement thread and that made the itch worse.

Interesting how long these threads can stay alive and how they change.

Since I started this thread I have purchased 3 resale weeks

WKV for Star options
HPP for HRC points
Wyndham Canterbury to add more low MF points to my account

I still want more star options and HRC points but have more weeks than I can use now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Completely understandable. St. John has one of the prettiest and one of my most favorite beaches on the planet. However the plane ride and time zone changes from the west coast are simply too brutal. Taking 2 days to travel and adjust out of a limited vacation week is not worth it. When we are retired, we will return.

It's also very expensive to fly a family longer distances.

If we lived on the East Coast, the Caribbean would be a no brainer.
Yup. That’s my same reasoning about Maui LOL.

tshd

Reaction score
Interesting how long these threads can stay alive and how they change.

Since I started this thread I have purchased 3 resale weeks

WKV for Star options
HPP for HRC points
Wyndham Canterbury to add more low MF points to my account

I still want more star options and HRC points but have more weeks than I can use now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've been busy!! Which type of WKV did you get and would you be willing to share where you found it and price? Can pm me if that is more appropriate. Thanks!