• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Use Year Realignment

WingRider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA & Panama City Beach
We purchased 3 CWA resale contracts in May. The first contract (1/1 use year) transferred on 8/21. Contracts #2 (10/1 use year) and #3 (7/1 use year) transferred today. My questions:

A) Is use year realignment of contracts 2 & 3 a definite thing, and if so, how long does it typically take for Wyndham to make the realignment?

B) Assuming Wyndham doesn't auto realign... We still have 25K 2019 points available on contract #1, expiring 12/31/19. The website indicates 84K 2019 points are available on contract #2, expiring 9/30/19. Suppose I make a reservation today for a 9/14-9/20/19 vacation using 100K points. Will the system automatically deduct the oldest points first (84K expiring at the end of the month) and deduct 16K points from contract #1?

Thanks in advance for your help!

scootr5

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
We purchased 3 CWA resale contracts in May. The first contract (1/1 use year) transferred on 8/21. Contracts #2 (10/1 use year) and #3 (7/1 use year) transferred today. My questions:

A) Is use year realignment of contracts 2 & 3 a definite thing, and if so, how long does it typically take for Wyndham to make the realignment?

B) Assuming Wyndham doesn't auto realign... We still have 25K 2019 points available on contract #1, expiring 12/31/19. The website indicates 84K 2019 points are available on contract #2, expiring 9/30/19. Suppose I make a reservation today for a 9/14-9/20/19 vacation using 100K points. Will the system automatically deduct the oldest points first (84K expiring at the end of the month) and deduct 16K points from contract #1?

Thanks in advance for your help!

A) No, and "it varies".

B) Yes, it should.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
If you have anything in your favor now go ahead and make a move. Took 5 days for Wyndham to realign mine and sometimes they dont realize you already used points. I didnt act fast enough but someone at the same time did and basically got double the points.

WingRider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't want to take a trip this month but I plan to take one in October. I'm afraid if they realign the contract to 1/1, I won't have any points available from it until 1/1/20. Contract #3 is in a weird status at the moment... it's listed on the Ownership page but no points have been deposited for any use year. I assume it's just in limbo and the points will likely post early next week.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use year alignment happens ussually within a day of transfer. If you transfer points to RCI before alignment you will be using next years points. I know this from personal experience over transfers I had in the last years time.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't want to take a trip this month but I plan to take one in October. I'm afraid if they realign the contract to 1/1, I won't have any points available from it until 1/1/20. Contract #3 is in a weird status at the moment... it's listed on the Ownership page but no points have been deposited for any use year. I assume it's just in limbo and the points will likely post early next week.
I would call on the one in limbo points should show when ownership shows. As far as using points before alignments any use year start after 1/1/2019 is considered 2020 use year points. When they align the points that started in July or Oct will be pushed to 2020 use year. Use the points or transfer to RCI today and you wont have any points on that ownership until 1/1/2021

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score

It should. If the alignment occurs first, the contract #2 points will be good until December, so either way, the points would expire in December. I would make the reservation quickly though to use those points. I wouldn't trust that Wyndham would move them forward when they do the realignment if they are expired - THOUGH THEY SHOULD, and perhaps they would, but I wouldn't leave it to chance.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
It should. If the alignment occurs first, the contract #2 points will be good until December, so either way, the points would expire in December. I would make the reservation quickly though to use those points. I wouldn't trust that Wyndham would move them forward when they do the realignment if they are expired - THOUGH THEY SHOULD, and perhaps they would, but I wouldn't leave it to chance.
They will push points into 2020 use year. I know from several deeds that transfered in and this is what happens.

AZLatin5

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Pacific Palisades
Wyndham Oceanside Pier
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
It always seems like we lose out when we realign. I had 500 points left 2019 133750 2020 and had used NONE from 2021. When they realigned all got pushed forward so I am showing 0 2019 500 2020 and 287500 2021. I own 454000 points.
Good luck :(

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
any use year start after 1/1/2019 is considered 2020 use year points.

That is not correct. Those are 2019 use year all the way as they expire 12/31/2019. 7/1 and 10/1 would be 2020, as that is when the points expire.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
That is not correct. Those are 2019 use year all the way as they expire 12/31/2019. 7/1 and 10/1 would be 2020, as that is when the points expire.

As he said, any use year that starts after 1/1/2019 are 2020 use year points. 1/1 is 2019, and 4/1, 7/1, and 10/1 are 2020.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As he said, any use year that starts after 1/1/2019 are 2020 use year points. 1/1 is 2019, and 4/1, 7/1, and 10/1 are 2020.

That’s what I get for browsing the board after being awake for 17 hours. Nothing to see here, move along... ☺️

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct. Use them in 2019 and you won't have use until 2021

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct. Use them in 2019 and you won't have use until 2021
It always seems like we lose out when we realign. I had 500 points left 2019 133750 2020 and had used NONE from 2021. When they realigned all got pushed forward so I am showing 0 2019 500 2020 and 287500 2021. I own 454000 points.
Good luck :(
On use year alignment Wyndham is robbing points from owners on not prorating points.

capital city

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Panama City 520k

Club Access 801k
I dont think that's how Wyndham sees it. My recent one transferred before June 30th which is my current use year but the new contract was Jan 1. It had full available points so I was looking for places to book before the end of the year. 5 days later they realigned it and it still had full points but expired June 30th so I had to use RCI. So they effectively took the Jan1 2019 points and made them July 1 2018 points

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I dont think that's how Wyndham sees it. My recent one transferred before June 30th which is my current use year but the new contract was Jan 1. It had full available points so I was looking for places to book before the end of the year. 5 days later they realigned it and it still had full points but expired June 30th so I had to use RCI. So they effectively took the Jan1 2019 points and made them July 1 2018 points
In your case the points were adjusted to 7/1 from 1/1 and to your advantage. If it is reversed to 1/1 use year start then Its to Wyndhams advantage and points you had vanished becuase they pushed them to next use year start instead of 7/1 they would be a available starting 1/1

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
They will push points into 2020 use year. I know from several deeds that transfered in and this is what happens.
I thought that the points starting 10/1 would push to 2020, but the points ending 9/30 were 2019 points and would push to the end of December during realignment.

WingRider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Called Wyndham regarding contract #3 (126K points) that's listed in my ownership but doesn't have points for any use year. The gentleman I spoke with couldn't determine the problem so he referred the issue up the ladder. Said I should expect resolution within a couple of days. I asked about Wyndham's current realignment policy... would these contracts auto align with my existing use year? He claimed Wyndham does not auto align contracts but suggested I could contact Title Services to request realignment. Told him my priority at the moment is to get the 126K points posted to my account that should be there.

I don't want to risk losing points in 2020 by using the 84K points expiring 9/30 so I'm gonna sit tight until the end of the month to see what happens. If the contract hasn't auto aligned by then I'll transfer them to RCI. Thanks a million for everyone's 2 cents. I'll post an update as soon as I have one.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Called Wyndham regarding contract #3 (126K points) that's listed in my ownership but doesn't have points for any use year. The gentleman I spoke with couldn't determine the problem so he referred the issue up the ladder. Said I should expect resolution within a couple of days. I asked about Wyndham's current realignment policy... would these contracts auto align with my existing use year? He claimed Wyndham does not auto align contracts but suggested I could contact Title Services to request realignment. Told him my priority at the moment is to get the 126K points posted to my account that should be there.

I don't want to risk losing points in 2020 by using the 84K points expiring 9/30 so I'm gonna sit tight until the end of the month to see what happens. If the contract hasn't auto aligned by then I'll transfer them to RCI. Thanks a million for everyone's 2 cents. I'll post an update as soon as I have one.
CS rep is wrong on the auto alignment not being automatic. Many times CS reps make statements that are not correct. It is clearly stated in the estoppel that it will be aligned to current use year.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
In your case the points were adjusted to 7/1 from 1/1 and to your advantage.
Just when you had me convinced that Wyndham ALWAYS robs owners of points when realigning use years, now you say NO Wyndham doesn’t always rob points??

Are you ready to admit that Wyndham does indeed help owners at times??
I guess you already did indeed admit that Wyndham helps owners!!!!
I suppose you want to take your statement back

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just when you had me convinced that Wyndham ALWAYS robs owners of points when realigning use years, now you say NO Wyndham doesn’t always rob points??

Are you ready to admit that Wyndham does indeed help owners at times??
I guess you already did indeed admit that Wyndham helps owners!!!!
I suppose you want to take your statement back
Not much of a advantage having to deposit points to RCI because Wyndham aligned use years leaving very little time to use points. 1/1 use year ends on 7/1 with 6 months of points pushed into the 7/1 use year start. Only thing lost was 6 months to use 1/1 use year points. Use year alignment without proration is To Wyndhams advantage and does not help a owner unless they can use the points in the shorter time frame.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
In your case the points were adjusted to 7/1 from 1/1 and to your advantage. If it is reversed to 1/1 use year start then Its to Wyndhams advantage and points you had vanished becuase they pushed them to next use year start instead of 7/1 they would be a available starting 1/1
Not much of a advantage having to deposit points to RCI because Wyndham aligned use years leaving very little time to use points. 1/1 use year ends on 7/1 with 6 months of points pushed into the 7/1 use year start. Only thing lost was 6 months to use 1/1 use year points. Use year alignment without proration is To Wyndhams advantage and does not help a owner unless they can use the points in the shorter time frame.
?? Go figure, you do want to take your statement back

WingRider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good news! Wyndham auto realigned contracts 2 & 3 to match my first contract's 12/31 use year. AND, at the moment I have full points available from both contracts for 2019. Apparently, they realigned BACK to 1/1/19 instead of 1/1/20. I'm not holding my breath on keeping all of those points, though. Wyndham giveth... Wyndham can taketh away. If they're still available 2 weeks from now, I'll consider them good to use.

Last edited:

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good news! Wyndham auto realigned contracts 2 & 3 to match my first contract's 12/31 use year. AND, at the moment I have full points available from both contracts for 2019. Apparently, they realigned BACK to 1/1/19 instead of 1/1/20. I'm not holding my breath on keeping all of those points, though. Wyndham giveth... Wyndham can taketh away. If they're still available 2 weeks from now, I'll consider them good to use.

I would book what you want to book. The end of the year is closing in. I don't think that they will move the points again. They almost win either way. They realign to 2020, they win. They give you the points now and you can't use them all or bank them forward, they win. You deposit to RCI and pay points and exchange fee, they win.

I'd go for it.

WingRider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would book what you want to book. The end of the year is closing in. I don't think that they will move the points again. They almost win either way. They realign to 2020, they win. They give you the points now and you can't use them all or bank them forward, they win. You deposit to RCI and pay points and exchange fee, they win.

I'd go for it.

Per the broker contract #3 wasn't supposed to have any 2019 points. I don't know if the broker had their wires crossed or if Wyndham made an error. I'll likely dump them to RCI at the end of the year; doubt if we'll take another trip before then. I'm using contract 2's points for the October trip.