• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Crockpot cooks please help. Beef roast recipe.

lindaswain

TUG Member
Reaction score
No crockpot? You can produce the same results in a covered pot in a slow oven (200-250 degrees?). A saleslady at TJMAXX gave me a simple beef pot roast recipe...2 jars of beef gravy plus 1/4 c. bottled Italian salad dressing.

Have you ever tried roasting beef overnight at the lowest setting of your oven? I read about it in an old Adele Davis cookbook, tried it, it works. I’ve even started off with a frozen roast.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/08/AR2008010801295.html?noredirect=on

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Teriyaki glaze, garlic, ginger, frozen meat 6 hours high then 2 hours low. Fabulous.
I saw Korean bbq for slow cookers at grocery. Tried it-essentially the same thing.
Yes we crock pot sometimes on vacation. I throw something in and we go biking hiking etc for the day. And have a good dinner when we got back. With a family of 5, it saves us a lot of $. Our groceries for the week were the almost the same as 1 italian dinner out!

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
After reading this thread, I made the Mississippi Mud Crock Pot Roast. My chuck roast did not weigh as much as the recipe called for and I have a large crock pot. Although my roast was not a thick one, I had a problem in that the contents of the seasoning packets on top of the roast did not dissolve completely (I wasn't home to help it). The gravy was so sparse, strong and salty that I had to add more water. Some of the contents of the seasoning packets became wedged between the roast and the crock pot leaving a thick, hardened goo along part of the bottom edge of the crock pot. It was extremely hard to clean later. I did not use the full amount of butter called for but still had a very greasy gravy. The roast was tender and tasty enough (I only used three larger peppers) but nothing to rave about.

Glynda,

Sorry to hear this did not work out but allow me to ask a clarifying question or two - you said you only used 3 larger peppers. I assume these were pepperocini peppers? And what did you do with the juice in the pepperocini jar? Also, did you place the seasoning packet contents ABOVE or BELOW the roast?

Retiresoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since y'all are speaking of slow cooked roast - have you tried this?

http://www.tablefortwoblog.com/mississippi-roast/

Mississippi Mud Crock Pot Roast

This is the easiest way to fix the most delicious chuck roast!!!

Cook time: 8 Hr Prep time: 15 Min
Ingredients
1or 2 beef chuck roast
1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
1 pkg mccormick au jus gravy mix
1 stick butter
1 Jar pepperoncini peppers
Directions
1. Place chuck roast in crock Pot
2. Sprinkle Ranch Dressing mix on top followed by Au Jus Gravy Mix.
3. Place butter on top of dry mixes. Place peppers on top of roast. Add NO water!!!! Cook on low for 8 hrs, then enjoy!!!!

It is THAT good!

Yes, made it several times and love it! So easy too

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Glynda,

Sorry to hear this did not work out but allow me to ask a clarifying question or two - you said you only used 3 larger peppers. I assume these were pepperocini peppers? And what did you do with the juice in the pepperocini jar? Also, did you place the seasoning packet contents ABOVE or BELOW the roast?

Yes, they were pepperocini peppers. The juice is still in the jar with the rest of the peppers. :) I sprinkled the seasoning packets on top of the roast. I followed the recipe except for using fewer peppers and little bit less butter. I wonder if mixing the seasoning packets with water would have kept me from having the stuck on goo to chisel off the bottom/side of the crockpot. I definitely needed more than the 1/4 cup of water called for.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Yes, they were pepperocini peppers. The juice is still in the jar with the rest of the peppers. :) I sprinkled the seasoning packets on top of the roast. I followed the recipe except for using fewer peppers and little bit less butter. I wonder if mixing the seasoning packets with water would have kept me from having the stuck on goo to chisel off the bottom/side of the crockpot. I definitely needed more than the 1/4 cup of water called for.

The extra juice in the pepper jar no doubt would have helped as would the butter but adjusting this dish for personal taste preferences is half the fun!
I am no cooking expert (far from it) but every time we have made this dish, we have sprinkled the packet contents evenly along the entire top of the roast. I think you are on the right track if you are NOT using all of the pepper juice and butter in that you need something to replace that liquid. Maybe some sort of chicken or beef broth (not needing for flavoring as much as to ensure enough liquid at the beginning of the cooking of this dish).....but I can't imagine that premixing the packet contents with water would hurt anything (and especially to help prevent a repeat of this) - especially since the ingredients would have a good 8 hours of slow cooking time.

If you try this again, I hope it turns out better for you!

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Teriyaki glaze, garlic, ginger, frozen meat 6 hours high then 2 hours low. Fabulous.
I saw Korean bbq for slow cookers at grocery. Tried it-essentially the same thing.
Yes we crock pot sometimes on vacation. I throw something in and we go biking hiking etc for the day. And have a good dinner when we got back. With a family of 5, it saves us a lot of $. Our groceries for the week were the almost the same as 1 italian dinner out!

What kind of glaze do you use? Whole bottle?

What if beef is not frozen?

How many garlic cloves? Do you mince them?

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I already posted this but I can’t find it...

Here’s something I would have done differently when I made the roast. My recipe said to shred meat and cook another hour. I used chuck roast that was marbled with fat. I shredded it in the pot and put lid back on. I had to fish out the fat when serving. Next time I hope to remember to take roast out of pot, shred and remove fat and then place cleaned meat back into the pot. I would also remove stems from peppers.

The next day when leftovers were cooled I removed some of the hardened fat from surface and picked through to remove hunks of fat and stems from peppers.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The extra juice in the pepper jar no doubt would have helped as would the butter but adjusting this dish for personal taste preferences is half the fun!
I am no cooking expert (far from it) but every time we have made this dish, we have sprinkled the packet contents evenly along the entire top of the roast. I think you are on the right track if you are NOT using all of the pepper juice and butter in that you need something to replace that liquid. Maybe some sort of chicken or beef broth (not needing for flavoring as much as to ensure enough liquid at the beginning of the cooking of this dish).....but I can't imagine that premixing the packet contents with water would hurt anything (and especially to help prevent a repeat of this) - especially since the ingredients would have a good 8 hours of slow cooking time.

If you try this again, I hope it turns out better for you!

Thanks for the suggestions! Hubby and I are not fond of very spicy food or peppers. A little goes a long way. That is why I was reluctant to use all the peppers called for and hadn’t thought about, or read about, the juice at that time. I wanted to prepare it as closely as possible to the recipe that received all the great reviews. If I make it again, I will add more peppers and some juice as the flavor of the peppers was good. I didn’t alter the amount of butter vey much...maybe by a tablespoon and a half. Oh, do you brown your roast before putting it in the crockpot? The recipe didn’t call for that but I wondered.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought I already posted this but I can’t find it...

Here’s something I would have done differently when I made the roast. My recipe said to shred meat and cook another hour. I used chuck roast that was marbled with fat. I shredded it in the pot and put lid back on. I had to fish out the fat when serving. Next time I hope to remember to take roast out of pot, shred and remove fat and then place cleaned meat back into the pot. I would also remove stems from peppers.

The next day when leftovers were cooled I removed some of the hardened fat from surface and picked through to remove hunks of fat and stems from peppers.

I agree. I put the leftovers in the refrigerator and the next morning there was a hardened thick layer of fat on top. It was easy to remove at that stage but made me well aware of what I had eaten the night before.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
any teriyaki glaze/marinade is fine. I use the big one from costco called yokomo or something--but i've use various others. I use bottled garlic and ginger from costco and just give each a big squeeze. Usually I'm using a frozen pot roast--fresh is fine. probably 4 hours high then 2 hours low. i've also used just put teriyaki sauce and leftover orange or general tsao sauce with garlic and ginger.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We tried the recipe in the link above earlier this week. The meat was tasty, but not as tender as i had hoped, and did not shred like the pictures. Might have been the cut of meat i had.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the suggestions! Hubby and I are not fond of very spicy food or peppers. A little goes a long way. That is why I was reluctant to use all the peppers called for and hadn’t thought about, or read about, the juice at that time. I wanted to prepare it as closely as possible to the recipe that received all the great reviews. If I make it again, I will add more peppers and some juice as the flavor of the peppers was good. I didn’t alter the amount of butter vey much...maybe by a tablespoon and a half. Oh, do you brown your roast before putting it in the crockpot? The recipe didn’t call for that but I wondered.

Glynda,

We did not brown the roast prior to cooking this dish. We've never tried that variation but something tells me a roast browned prior to placing in the slow cooker might diminish the amount of flavor the roast absorbs from the other ingredients maybe???

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Glynda,

We did not brown the roast prior to cooking this dish. We've never tried that variation but something tells me a roast browned prior to placing in the slow cooker might diminish the amount of flavor the roast absorbs from the other ingredients maybe???

That makes sense to me.

wackymother

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Glynda,

That's not usually how braising works. Usually you brown the meat to carmelize the surface and develop flavor. The long, slow cooking process should still allow the meat to absorb the flavors of the seasonings.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's not usually how braising works. Usually you brown the meat to carmelize the surface and develop flavor. The long, slow cooking process should still allow the meat to absorb the flavors of the seasonings.

Thanks for that info, Wackymother!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So we're trying yet another variation on the Mud Roast today - this time Mud Sirloin.
Using the same ingredients otherwise (still doubling the Au Jus packets though) AND adding chicken breasts to the top of the pot.
I'll be curious to sow how sirloin works in this dish in place of roast.
More to follow....

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I like our InstantPot as well but there is something about this dish simmering in a slow cooker that makes it even more mouth watering.

Once I got used to Instapot I cant go back to a crockpot, takes too darn long!

I cooked a 4lb tri tip yesterday in 45 min, one of the seasoned meats from Costco, the ribs are also just as good and easy to make. It came out moist and tender. 1 cup of liquid in the bottom and use the roasting trivet. I put whole yukon gold potatoes on top of the meat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a church pot luck today so I made the Italian Beef again. I was going to make the Mississippi Roast but the Italian only has 3 ingredients besides the meat. Easier. This time I had all night so it cooked on low in crock pot for 8 hours. I remembered to take the meat out for the defatting stage and then put it back in the crock pot. I had forgotten to destem the peppers but that was easy after cooking. I took those off when I was taking fat off the meat.

It was so delicious.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys have to stop. I want this so badly. My husband won’t eat meat.
This is so stupid. He is in mid stages of Alzheimer’s and claims a doctor told him to not eat meat, to not go out when it’s warm or cool, to not exercise, Yada Yada Yada. That doesn’t mean he replaces meat with vegetables, he just doesn’t eat. He has held to this theory for four months, and won’t break any of these rules. I just bought new clothes the others are falling off him.