• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Palm Desert, CA

gnipgnop

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Staying in Palm Desert for the first time. Can you tell me where to buy groceries. We do not need any specialty type foods just ordinary breakfast, lunch, and snacks. We'll be out exploring most of the time but love our coffee and breakfast in the mornings right in the unit. Thank you.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Which resort?

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Staying in Palm Desert for the first time. Can you tell me where to buy groceries. We do not need any specialty type foods just ordinary breakfast, lunch, and snacks. We'll be out exploring most of the time but love our coffee and breakfast in the mornings right in the unit. Thank you.

Depending on where you are staying in Palm Desert there are several options. We shop at the Ralph’s at the corner of Cook St and Country Club. You didn’t mention a need for it, but there is also a Costco located near Highway 10 and Monterey Ave (actually on Dinah Shore Dr).

Best regards.

Mike

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

When we stayed at Marriott Shadow Ridge we ordered groceries online from the nearby Wal-Mart. Pulled into the parking lot and they loaded them into the trunk. Maximized time spent relaxing, minimized time spent shopping.

We also often do grocery delivery at TS resorts for the same reason.

Bob B

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There's also an Albertsons on 111.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I go to DSV1 or 2 or SRV up to 3 times a year. Now that others have told you where the grocery stores are, her are some of our fav restaurants

My favorite restaurants:
1. Sherm's NY Deli (I forget, maybe Marriott Discount)
2. Papa Dan's (Marriott Discount)
3. Morton's (we eat in the bar off of their bar bites menu during Happy Hour or is it Happier Hour?) - show them Marriott card and you get a free Creme brule with raspberries and blueberries
4. Mama Gina's (El Paseo)
5. Kobe (Mongolian BBQ style: cook your food in front of you) - go for the early bird $pecial. Reservations
6. Ruth Chris's - happy hour in the bar
7. Babe's BBQ
8. The La Quinta Cliffhouse (upscale but worth it)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
It would still help to know where the OP is staying, unless all of the timeshares in Palm Desert are in the same area. :)

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ralphs on Country Club and Cook is good. We like the Albertsons about a mile away on Country Club (at Monterey) a little better. Both are very near Westin Desert Willow, Embarc, and Marriott Desert Springs.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It would still help to know where the OP is staying, unless all of the timeshares in Palm Desert are in the same area. :)
Yes, if your timeshare address is Palm Desert, all would be in approx. 5 mile radius. (Now that I have written that, I will check myself on a map.) A timeshare with Palm Springs address -- now that's a different story.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I go to DSV1 or 2 or SRV up to 3 times a year. Now that others have told you where the grocery stores are, her are some of our fav restaurants

My favorite restaurants:
1. Sherm's NY Deli (I forget, maybe Marriott Discount)
2. Papa Dan's (Marriott Discount)
3. Morton's (we eat in the bar off of their bar bites menu during Happy Hour or is it Happier Hour?) - show them Marriott card and you get a free Creme brule with raspberries and blueberries
4. Mama Gina's (El Paseo)
5. Kobe (Mongolian BBQ style: cook your food in front of you) - go for the early bird $pecial. Reservations
6. Ruth Chris's - happy hour in the bar
7. Babe's BBQ
8. The La Quinta Cliffhouse (upscale but worth it)

We love your item #1 so much we have a hard time eating anywhere else because of left overs! When we were in Palm Springs (which also has a Sherman's location right next to Diamond's Marquis Villas) for our annual April trip this year we made a point of going somewhere else on our first night, which threw off leftovers for the second night. Then it was Sherman's for late lunch of brisket sandwiches the next day, and back on our last day for stuffed cabbage. Of course every meal at Sherman's requires a slice of one of their fabulous cakes! Another Palm Springs favorite is Billy Reed's for prime rib, and not only do they also have wonderful cakes, they parade each newly baked cake around the room so there is no possibility of avoiding looking at the dessert selections.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love your item #1 so much we have a hard time eating anywhere else because of left overs! When we were in Palm Springs (which also has a Sherman's location right next to Diamond's Marquis Villas) for our annual April trip this year we made a point of going somewhere else on our first night, which threw off leftovers for the second night. Then it was Sherman's for late lunch of brisket sandwiches the next day, and back on our last day for stuffed cabbage. Of course every meal at Sherman's requires a slice of one of their fabulous cakes! Another Palm Springs favorite is Billy Reed's for prime rib, and not only do they also have wonderful cakes, they parade each newly baked cake around the room so there is no possibility of avoiding looking at the dessert selections.
+ 1 for Billy Reed's

Sherman's Palm Springs location is closed for repairs at the moment.

gnipgnop

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at Marriott Desert Springs Villas 1. Any chance to request a location at this resort? and if so what would you suggest? .Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. Any help would be so appreciated.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are at Marriott Desert Springs Villas 1. Any chance to request a location at this resort? and if so what would you suggest? .Thanks for the restaurant suggestions. Any help would be so appreciated.
One visit we were assigned to a unit where our balcony overlooked a fairway -- but it also was close enough to JW that we could hear their air conditioning condensers running non-stop if we were outside. Don't get that building. Although it may be too warm for balcony sitting.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

Most of the units have a pleasant view of the golf course. There are some units that face Cook Street. So, I'd recommend that you ask NOT to be put close to Cook.

The master unit faces the golf course on the back of the building. Most all of them have nice views. If you are in an efficiency on the end of the building, you'll have a partial view of the golf course. But if you are in an efficiency in the middle of the building, you'll be facing the parking lot and may hear noise from the heat pumps that are also located on the ground level in the front of the building.