• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

C'mon, did no one watch the Brady Bunch house renovation?

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
On HGTV last night, and for the next three Mondays.
I think the actors aged well. The interior of the house was not even close to what the set looked like at the studio. I guess the station makes money off the commercials, because I doubt they can resell the house at what they put into it.
(HGTV paid twice the asking price for the house, on the market for the first time in 50 years, and are putting mega-bucks into the remodel.)
It was fun to watch. Now I need to also watch reruns of the old show to find all the details they copied.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
I did for 10 minutes. Wish they’d spent the $ on building affordable housing. Ridiculous moving floors down a foot, moving stairways, etc. IMHO.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I watched it for the nostalgia effect, and enjoyed it, but tuned out after 45 minutes. I'll tune back in to see the final results.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I watched last night, and thought it was a pretty good show. I enjoyed seeing the items they "crowd sourced", like the bunch of acrylic grapes and some of the other knickknacks. I'm interested in the "win a night in the Brady house" contest they promoted briefly, but so far haven't made the effort to try to find the application online. If I win, I'll throw it open to Tuggers!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I thought they just used exterior photos of a house then the show was shot on a soundstage?
There was a house in my neighborhood when I was growing up that looked like the Brady Bunch House.
Very 60s California style.
I forgot it was on last night, will they show it again?
Silentg

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I thought they just used exterior photos of a house then the show was shot on a soundstage?
There was a house in my neighborhood when I was growing up that looked like the Brady Bunch House.
Silentg

I bet on Friday if you scroll through the "guide" option on your remote, you'll find it replayed at least once on Saturday and again on Sunday. And I can almost guarantee that on Monday before they play the next new episode, the previous weeks show will also air.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I watched it and will watch the others as they are shown. It is interesting to see how they can find and recreate so many items.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I found it on Dish on demand. It was pretty good. The Brady kids really seemed interested in the project. Man, that has been so many years ago. I think I was not even married when the show ended.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I watched it for two (2) minutes. Does that count?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grammarhero, I watched it for about 5 minutes. I beat you by 180 seconds. What a waste of time and money. IMO only.

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I am interested in seeing it to see Two Chicks and a Hammer - big fan of these gals!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
When they showed the sound stage vs. "new" house photos,
and then had the child actors recreate the classic staircase
pose in the final 10 minutes was interesting. The rest - fluff.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Silentg

I am confident that it will be repeated many times over the next year or so. The Property Brothers love to see themselves on Television, lol.

I bet the program will be a summer re-run in the Summer of 2020.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
I'm glad they at least addressed the fact that the "real" house used for exterior shots of the original show is "backwards" compared to the stage-show house. The staircase/upstairs of the TV show is on the right hand side of the home, yet the "real" house used for exterior shots has the upstairs on the left hand side. So it was interesting to see how they accommodated for that (by digging down floors and the "upstairs" addition on the back so that it didn't come above the existing roofline so as to ruin the façade of the "real house". That bugged me even as a 10year old watching the show. I always used to think "there's no way that's the real house--it's backwards".

I watched it for the nostalgia (and to see how they pull off the reno given the physical challenges), and will watch them all. I'd love to win the contest for a week's stay, but I heard you have to do a 70's retro video--if that's true, too much effort/not worth entering.....

My son and I found/walked by the "real" house in Studio City, CA a couple of years ago on a weekend trip to Universal Studios Hollywood. It was fun for me (my son had no clue why we were there/what the big deal was....!) It's only about 10 minutes from Universal on a nice, but older, residential street. It backs up to the LA River wash. I'm sure the neighbors hate the attention (and touristy gawkers like me) it brings, although it probably has died down in the last 10 years or so. Now with the HGTV show/renovation, I'm sure it will explode in popularity again. The show said it was originally on the market for $1.88M (welcome to California real estate), and HGTV out-bid Lance Bass (of N'Sync fame) to buy it for over $3M with plans to do the show/renovation.

I'm surprised how quickly HGTV (basically a little over a year?) was able to buy it, design, plan, get approvals, build, and get it renovated. Major undertaking/extent of changes to the home. Our home addition took 8 months for about 1/10th of the scale of work they did with the Brady house. (granted, they had near-unlimited resources......)

Last edited:

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
LOVED it!
Growing up, I watched every single Brady Bunch episode. Twice.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I watched the 1st episode this weekend. I did enjoy the show, well enough, not really a house flipping show. The remodel / construction is kind of crazy as they attempt to turn the house into something it never really was.

Does anyone know what they plan to do with the house once they are done? I love mid-century houses like that, but i can't really see someone living in house replicated back to the early 70s.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know that they have said. I think the new owners would put current furnishings in, but that wouldn't help with the orange kitchen! Maybe they will turn it into a tourist attraction, which the neighbors would fight tooth and nail.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Some rich person will buy it for the nostalgia.

Marcia Brady looks really good. Greg is looking pretty old. The "kids" all act like they really like each other. There were some tensions when a few of them didn't want to come back for the new series and a few movies. I was hoping the series with Jan and Marcia living in the same house would take off, which Mom found for them as their real estate broker, but it didn't take off. It was rather boring.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Orange Countertops!!! I grew up with those in the kitchen in the 1963 era house. They sat on stained Maple would cabinets.

And to think that, just SOLD that jem less than 2 months ago.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
During my junior year at UCLA, I'm thinking fall of 1975, my roommate came back to the dorm totally freaked out one afternoon. She was so embarrassed, yet she had to tell her story. Walking up the hill from campus she saw someone she thought she knew and went over and gushed at him "how are you, good to see you, what have you been up to?" She was a real motormouth, so she's yammering at him, starts to tell him what she's been up to, all the while wracking her brain for his name. Then she figured it out. Oh my God, this guy doesn't know me and I don't know him -- he's Peter Brady/Christopher Knight.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I thought the series was fine, but now it seems like there is at least one episode of "Behind the Build" and I think I've seen enough. Might watch the holiday show to see what they do with vintage Christmas decorations, but I'm ready to be done with it!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I did not like this show at all. I don;t know if it is over yet but I stopped watching HGTV on Mondays after the first night.

Then again, I did not like the Brady Bunch Show either. I wish they would put Love it or List it back in that time slot now.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
No interest.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I watched them all, but how often can you get excited seeing the kids say "Wow! Oh my! Feels like home"? So I'm glad it was just four episodes. I wonder how functional the house really is, as it seems convoluted to get to the parents' bedroom. I will watch the behind the scenes next Monday. After that, what really happens to the house? And it seems like there is no garage. Dumb.

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
The actual house has a detached garage (not unlike the TV set) set back from the road, to the left of the house (at least it did 1.5 years ago when I gawked by.) Not sure what HGTV may have done to it.