• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upgrade offer from owner update in Hawaii...

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
All,

We just finished an owner update here in Hawaii, and wanted to see if I can get any input here from you all. We own a 3 bedroom Nanea OF (that we have requalified previously) and own 176,700 home options with the Westin Adventuras (Mexico) program. We enjoy Mexico, but find that we usually enjoy staying at other luxury resorts (especially on Cabo). This purchase was done with a trade-in (and requal) but they will give us a 100% credit of approx 60K off a new Nanea purchase.

They are offering a 2 bedroom OF Nanea 176,700 home options for 90K~ - 60K (For the mexico flex trade in)for a net total of 30K of "new money". No additional incentives will apply, at this time apparently.

The sales team is extremely professional here and we are considering doing this and will let them know tomorrow. My thoughts are once Marriott finalizes this purchase, the trade in options may disappear.

Really curious to hear opinions/thoughts on the above? Our annual fees would go up about $400 annually and keeping the same number of home options except moving them to Maui where we would be much more likely to use them.

Darius

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
What time of the year do you like to travel? If you on't have to go in high season, it shouldn't be that hard to reserve Maui at 8 months out. On the other hand, if you want summer weeks or whale season time, then it might be better to own on Maui. I generally prefer to own where I want to go. Maui is also easier to rent if you can't use your unit a given year.

Consider too that for $30K, you could buy a couple of 2BR OV units at WKORV on the resale market, worth 296,200 Staroptions.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
What time of the year do you like to travel? If you on't have to go in high season, it shouldn't be that hard to reserve Maui at 8 months out. On the other hand, if you want summer weeks or whale season time, then it might be better to own on Maui. I generally prefer to own where I want to go. Maui is also easier to rent if you can't use your unit a given year.

Consider too that for $30K, you could buy a couple of 2BR OV units at WKORV on the resale market, worth 296,200 Staroptions.

Great point here - we do travel during summer times (we have young kids..). Could make sense to also just pay cash for a stay or stay at another resort (like we currently do) to add on to our Nanea home resort stay.

I also just checked redweek, and noticed that it looks like 176,700 home options for Nanea (OF) costs about 20K, or like you said above - maybe pick up a few mandatory weeks for a lot less.

I think I'm talking myself out of this already :)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Great point here - we do travel during summer times (we have young kids..). Could make sense to also just pay cash for a stay or stay at another resort (like we currently do) to add on to our Nanea home resort stay.

I also just checked redweek, and noticed that it looks like 176,700 home options for Nanea (OF) costs about 20K, or like you said above - maybe pick up a few mandatory weeks for a lot less.

I think I'm talking myself out of this already :)
The more you think and talk, and listen, the more likely you will.