• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vistana, Westin & Sheraton Deedback program

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t take much to add the minimum requirements. Instead they are having ppl send in inquiries and then cherry picking.
I suspected all along the buyback programs are all about picking up valuable inventory for free

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
why would they not take EOY contracts back? They put all contracts into a trust so what difference does it make? To me it sounds like a lame excuse not to take your contract. I bet if you had an OF Hawaii they would take it back (not that you would give it to them)

This is probably true - although they don't put the OF deeds into Flex. WFlex has a huge amount of WDW Weeks that have been added to the trust already (3422 WDW weeks vs total 6221 Hawaii weeks over 4 resorts). Given most demand for weeks from Flexers is for Hawaii weeks I suspect they will snap up more Hawaii contracts if offered for free.

Reaction score
According to ARDA, vistana resorts (including sheraton and westin) have an official deedback/surrender program with info available here:

https://www.vistana.com/exit

adding this as a sticky for this forum for those who might be in these situations (and hope to funnel away some from upfront fee scammers)
I’m new to this site so bear with me. I contacted Vistana and they are willing to take my two flex weeks back, at no cost to me (we won’t mention the $$$$$$$ I spent to buy the two weeks). They immediately started the process. Now I’m nervous. What am I missing?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I’m new to this site so bear with me. I contacted Vistana and they are willing to take my two flex weeks back, at no cost to me (we won’t mention the $$$$$$$ I spent to buy the two weeks). They immediately started the process. Now I’m nervous. What am I missing?
They already got your money, they will turn it around and get someone else's next. They are getting cheap inventory to sell. The sad thing is that you likely didn't buy that long ago since Sheraton Flex isn't that old. So what you spent for what you got isn't a great deal. Not trying to rub salt in the wound, but if they got paid once and are getting it back basically for free, it is cheaper than building new resorts.

Reaction score
They already got your money, they will turn it around and get someone else's next. They are getting cheap inventory to sell. The sad thing is that you likely didn't buy that long ago since Sheraton Flex isn't that old. So what you spent for what you got isn't a great deal. Not trying to rub salt in the wound, but if they got paid once and are getting it back basically for free, it is cheaper than building new resorts.
We drank the koolaid and originally bought two weeks in Hawaii. Never used it so traded Hawaii for Flex. Tired of paying maintenance fees for something we never use. Feel like we are cutting our losses by giving it back so we won’t have to pay maintenance anymore

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
We drank the koolaid and originally bought two weeks in Hawaii. Never used it so traded Hawaii for Flex. Tired of paying maintenance fees for something we never use. Feel like we are cutting our losses by giving it back so we won’t have to pay maintenance anymore

Did you buy Sheraton Flex or Westin Flex?

durrod

Reaction score
I have an EOY too and they said they were not taken my type of ownership at this time.
SBP resort gold plus.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got the paperwork on Thursday. Already notarized an back in the mail to them. Woo hoo. Bye bye 2 of my timeshare weeks
That's encouraging news for those of us hoping/waiting for them to take back EOY contracts as well!

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I don't believe ARDA - I have never heard of someone deeding back their Vistana TS.

Isn’t ARDA a lobby group FOR the resorts and timeshare companies? I know they try to fee owners in efforts to get a donation. However, from what I see, their interests and lobby is mainly for resorts and timeshare developers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AbelowDS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn’t ARDA a lobby group FOR the resorts and timeshare companies? I know they try to fee owners in efforts to get a donation. However, from what I see, their interests and lobby is mainly for resorts and timeshare developers.

Hi. There were no fees to me for giving back my 2 timeshares. Financial disclosure was included with the paperwork and it showed them as picking up the fees for transfer and recording of the deed. Also,
These are deeded back to Marriott according to the contract.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Had a very positive phone call today with a number of Marriott executives relating to the deedback program.

The goal is indeed to work towards a solution that provides vse owners an exit strategy for all vse timeshares, but given the scope of this merger it is going to be a long process (not just deedback related), and that is perfectly understandable.

as it is now, there should be a solution for north american vse owners to surrender unwanted (non delinquent/paid off) ownerships using the link in the original thread. so for anyone that is still being told no whos ownership fits that description, please email the details and the reply to tugadmin@tug2.net and I will see what I can do.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had a very positive phone call today with a number of Marriott executives relating to the deedback program.
...as it is now, there should be a solution for north american vse owners to surrender unwanted (non delinquent/paid off) ownerships using the link in the original thread. so for anyone that is still being told no whos ownership fits that description, please email the details and the reply to tugadmin@tug2.net and I will see what I can do.
Thanks Brian. I sent an email to them yesterday using the link, and when they reply, I'll let you know. I was already told "no" for my EOY contract last month when I called them on the phone. Hoping their answer will be different this time, but to say that I am not optimistic would be an understatement!

BeckyLane

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar
I have a one premium bedroom gold plus that l’m trying to give away and wil be calling them about the deedback program.
. Could you clarify “deedback” for me? We own at the Lagunamar-1bd float annual. Haven’t been able to really use it...not totally paid off. Probably looking to get rid of it sooner rather than later unless someone can help us figure out the best use for it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
. Could you clarify “deedback” for me? We own at the Lagunamar-1bd float annual. Haven’t been able to really use it...not totally paid off. Probably looking to get rid of it sooner rather than later unless someone can help us figure out the best use for it.
What season do you own? It could have some resale value regardless of the season. If you want to get rid of it, you could also offer it up for free in the Free Timeshare Givaways forum.

BeckyLane

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar
What season do you own? It could have some resale value regardless of the season. If you want to get rid of it, you could also offer it up for free in the Free Timeshare Givaways forum.
According to my deed, Gold plus. Week 43 (but that’s just for their inventory purposes- on the contract). I haven’t paid it off yet so not sure if giving it away is the best idea. The thing I’m trying to understand is that when we purchased we have 44k points to use based on our contract and full weeks. However, we can’t do that anymore because the values for each day (for an entire week) exceed the total number of points our 1bd is worth. So...is this legit for a deeded property? I didn’t receive any docs stating this change nor do i know where to find a disclaimer for changing ownership/rules in the contract. Someone please help point me in the right direction! ☹️

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
According to my deed, Gold plus. Week 43 (but that’s just for their inventory purposes- on the contract). I haven’t paid it off yet so not sure if giving it away is the best idea. The thing I’m trying to understand is that when we purchased we have 44k points to use based on our contract and full weeks. However, we can’t do that anymore because the values for each day (for an entire week) exceed the total number of points our 1bd is worth. So...is this legit for a deeded property? I didn’t receive any docs stating this change nor do i know where to find a disclaimer for changing ownership/rules in the contract. Someone please help point me in the right direction! ☹️
What you bought was a week in the Gold Plus season. The points value, i.e. Staroptions has not changed. You can still book a week in the same unit type within the season. If you want to book during Platinum season week at WLR you won't have enough. You can bank your staroptions to extend use for 2 years and that way you have more staroptions. You need to look at the Staroption chart by resort, size and week to figure out how many Staroptions are required.

Here is the chart: https://vistana-web-static.s3.amazo...assets/pdf/charts/staroptions_value_chart.pdf

Westin Lagunamar chart is on page 8.

Reaction score
What you bought was a week in the Gold Plus season. The points value, i.e. Staroptions has not changed. You can still book a week in the same unit type within the season. If you want to book during Platinum season week at WLR you won't have enough. You can bank your staroptions to extend use for 2 years and that way you have more staroptions. You need to look at the Staroption chart by resort, size and week to figure out how many Staroptions are required.

Here is the chart: https://vistana-web-static.s3.amazo...assets/pdf/charts/staroptions_value_chart.pdf

Westin Lagunamar chart is on page 8.
Please explain EOY.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please explain EOY.
Acronym for Every Other Year. Simply put, it means you have use of the timeshare every other year (otherwise known as biennial use). In the case of maintenance fees (MF), with EOY use even though still you pay them every year, you pay only half of what you would otherwise pay with an annual timeshare. In the case of Vistana, you would receive your StarOptions once every other year instead of every year.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. I sent an email to them yesterday using the link, and when they reply, I'll let you know. I was already told "no" for my EOY contract last month when I called them on the phone. Hoping their answer will be different this time, but to say that I am not optimistic would be an understatement!

I received a reply from them today. As expected, no deedback was offered. Their reply included the following language summarizing my options:

"...If you choose to wait and sell through Marriott Vacation Club, please advise us in your response and we will register your interest. All owners are registered in date order and are contacted once an option to sell becomes available. While waiting to sell, continue using your ownership and maintain current account balances. Be aware that the sale of your timeshare is similar to a real estate transaction, it is subject to market demand and therefore, it is difficult to predict a timeframe to sell.

Sell on the Open Market:

This option affords you the opportunity to set your own price and to begin the resale process at any time. We recommend that you avoid companies that ask for upfront fees..."

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I received a reply from them today. As expected, no deedback was offered. Their reply included the following language summarizing my options:

"...If you choose to wait and sell through Marriott Vacation Club, please advise us in your response and we will register your interest. All owners are registered in date order and are contacted once an option to sell becomes available. While waiting to sell, continue using your ownership and maintain current account balances. Be aware that the sale of your timeshare is similar to a real estate transaction, it is subject to market demand and therefore, it is difficult to predict a timeframe to sell.

Sell on the Open Market:

This option affords you the opportunity to set your own price and to begin the resale process at any time. We recommend that you avoid companies that ask for upfront fees..."
please email me the details at tug@tug2.net if you have not already done so if this was a us based paid off ownership.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
please email me the details at tug@tug2.net if you have not already done so if this was a us based paid off ownership.
I did earlier, but it's been awhile so I'll send it to you again. Thanks.

Edited to add: Just sent.

Last edited: