• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Joshua Tree Natl Park plans

Serina

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a two day trip to Joshua National Park departing from the Newport Beach area in mid September...soon! Would love suggestions of places to stay overnight. (We aren’t campers...AT ALL....but do prefer very nice accommodations & love visiting National Parks.)

Also, wondering if there are any suggestions for companies in which we could hire a guide for the day. Love the educational component from a personal guide. Not much time to pull this together so would appreciate any suggestions and personal experiences. TIA and here’s to the beauty of nature.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never seen any nice hotels near Joshua Tree. If you want something nice, you'll need to stay in a different city such as Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage or Palm Springs. It will be a drive to park (and the park is big, so lots of driving within the park), but if you want a decent hotel, it will be worth it. You might like the Ritz-Carlton or the Westin Mission Hills - both in Rancho Mirage.

I do not know of how to hire a personal guide for the day. It's a great idea and if you do find something like that, please post about it as I am always hoping for a personal guide when traveling.

Reaction score
I'm looking for the best apartment in those areas. But don't find any best hotel there.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm looking for the best apartment in those areas. But don't find any best hotel there.
It's really in the middle of nowhere. I don't think that there is much to find. I don't go often but my kids do. It is so undeveloped that they camp on BLM land (Bureau of Land Management) in free campgrounds with no facilities (maybe there's porta potties I suppose). Point being, it's not located near a lot of developed properties. For day trips everyone drives in from Palm Springs/Palm Desert. Maybe you should look on airbnb? Zoom in on this map - I see places listed: https://www.google.com/maps/search/joshua+tree/@34.0995195,-116.3177757,2314m/data=!3m1!1e3

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want a really nice place to stay you will need to stay in Palm Desert or Palm Springs. I did this trip (Joshua Tree) last year and this is what I did -- stayed in Palm D and drove to the park. It's an easy drive. You'll love Joshua Tree ! It's really "weird" terrain.

Reaction score
It's really in the middle of nowhere. I don't think that there is much to find. I don't go often but my kids do. It is so undeveloped that they camp on BLM land (Bureau of Land Management) in free campgrounds with no facilities (maybe there's porta potties I suppose). Point being, it's not located near a lot of developed properties. For day trips everyone drives in from Palm Springs/Palm Desert. Maybe you should look on airbnb? Zoom in on this map - I see places listed: https://www.google.com/maps/search/joshua+tree/@34.0995195,-116.3177757,2314m/data=!3m1!1e3
So it's hard to travel there. Thanks a lot for the beautiful suggestion.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in an airbnb a couple of years ago for 2 nights to visit to Joshua Tree, reasonable and lovely. "Straight shot four miles due north of Joshua Tree Village and the National Park Entrance." There was a really good breakfast place in the little town, too. Here it is:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2845306

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I love the hiking in Joshua tree. We've been there 2 or 3 dozen times. I have been concentrating on hiking back to old gold/silver/lead/copper mines. There are nearly 100 in the park. I find a special "peace" when I have hike so far that I cannot hear any man-made noise.

There is a town on the north end of the park in the city of Joshua Tree or 29 Palms (I forget which). None of the motels are particularly special but they'll be okay. One time we stayed in a nice motel in 29 Palms. There were a bunch of military people or military spouses there. No problem. They are patriots. Otherwise, Palm Desert is about an hour's drive away. A pleasant drive.

Don't forget to go to the 1000 palms/Coachella Oasis. It is worth doing.

Serina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! Great ideas for ranger guides and Airbnb.