• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

After resignation/ cancelation

Marina K

Reaction score
what should we expect after canceling/ rescinding from our contract?
We sent the letter within 2 days of signing, after finding this website. Thank you guys again!
But now we are worried on what to expect and how to know if it was really canceled?
Will we receive something in the mail?
Thanks again

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
You usually will not receive any notification that they received your rescind paperwork, but within 45 days or so you should get your refund.

Hopefully you sent everything via Certified Mail so that you have proof that indeed it was mailed in a timely manner. It makes no difference "when" they actually receive your paperwork; what they are concerned with is the date of the Postmark on the envelope (the exact date of mailing).

Not sure what state you are from, but you only have so many allowable days to do this, and if you didn't send your paperwork within that allowable time frame then you will be unable to rescind; and you will end up being a Timeshare Owner :bawl:

Marina K

Reaction score
We did everything exactly as it was asked on our paperwork. Certified mail, keep the copy of receipt, sent rescind letter signed by my husband and I. Sent it on day 2, and since we are in Florida we had 10 days according to our contract.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
You may get a call from your salesperson, but they will only be trying to salvage the sale. HGVC has a process that they follow and it isn't to call/notify you. They are required to refund your money in whatever payment method which was used. So if you paid by credit card, look for the refund there.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Do not pick any calls up from unknown numbers. Also, don’t return their messages.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We did everything exactly as it was asked on our paperwork. Certified mail, keep the copy of receipt, sent rescind letter signed by my husband and I. Sent it on day 2, and since we are in Florida we had 10 days according to our contract.
You did everythng perfectly. The law is that your contract is cancelled and all funds MUST be returned. However, there is no requirement that you be notified either of the recipt, progress, or completion of the rescission. We know it's stressful, but all you can do is watch your credit card account for the refiund.

Congratulations. Go celebrate. You won. And if you are still interested in TS, stick around TUG and we'll help you be a smarter consumer.

Jim

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
You did everythng perfectly. The law is that your contract is cancelled and all funds MUST be returned. However, there is no requirement that you be notified either of the recipt, progress, or completion of the rescission. We know it's stressful, but all you can do is watch your credit card account for the refiund.

I will add that, both from personal experience and a number of reports here, HGVC are very much straight shooters here and don't play games with the rescission (beyond the possible call mentioned above - didn't happen for us). They will follow through.

Cheers.

Marina K

Reaction score
Thank you so much guys, makes me feel better!
We are very stressed about this! Can’t believe we felt for it
We are definitely interested in TS and have learn alot already from reading trhu the site. I will become a member, and fill out the questionnaire to see if you guys can help us figure out which program is best for us.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
We are definitely interested in TS and have learn alot already from reading trhu the site. I will become a member, and fill out the questionnaire to see if you guys can help us figure out which program is best for us.

We will be glad to help when the time comes. I would suggest, wait for the rescind first to occur and then take your time to research. There isn't a rush because resale will always be available.

Last edited:

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
Don't feel bad. You did the right thing and are now ahead of the game. I bought 2 "Vacation Clubs" over the years from the "developer" which ended up folding down and yet still bought my first TS property directly from HGVC before I found TUG and discovered the world of resale. As brp stated "HGVC are very much straight shooters" so you can breath easy.

Anw015

Reaction score
So this was my experience....I went and bought on a Monday Aug 19. I sent a letter on Friday Aug. 23 certified mail rescinding. I got confirmation Monday it was received. In my letter I asked for written verification and they did email me Tuesday stating they got my letter. I checked my card daily Aug 30 mid day I had been refunded my deposit. I was contacted by the agent and I just ignored his calls and text. I have not received anymore emails from Hilton. I assume with them refunding my deposit all is good.

I was told it can take weeks so I probably should check to assure all has been completed.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Wonderful news, congratulations.