• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

After 3 Vaping Deaths, CDC Recommends Not Using E-Cigarettes

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Like many of you, I find the apparent huge increase in deaths to be puzzling. I did some googling and ran across this: "As of 2018, 95% of e-cigarettes were made in China." Hmmm.... that made recall when there were dog deaths from dog food tainted with melamine. And also milk with added melamine.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Show me the peer review studies and articles that demonstrate Vape Smoke contains ultra fine cancer causing particles. Not something off the Internet. But legitimate peer reviewed publications.

Alcohol causes a lot more problems than just car accidents. How many families/childhoods that have been ruined by alcohol or alcohol abuse. How many marriages have been destroyed by alcohol.

I would bet that there will be plenty of studies on vape smoke. I found a bunch by just googling it. It did surprise me that second hand vape smoke is harmful.

You make valid points on alcohol but I can drink a beer without harming those around me which isn't the case for second hand vape smoke it seems. Second hand vape smoke can be a problem for anyone who breaths it.

Bill

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~dshuster/e-Cigarettes/Schober_2014a.pdf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24373737

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
What We Know About Vaping-Related Lung Illness

https://www.wsj.com/articles/what-we-know-about-vaping-related-lung-illness-11568194202

"The CDC recommends that people consider stopping use of vaping devices altogether, while the FDA is urging people to avoid using THC-containing products specifically. Both agencies urge people not to buy any illicit vaping products or modify products purchased legally."

"Health officials, however, haven’t linked any specific substance or products to the illnesses, and no single product has been associated with all of the cases."

As it stands at this point, this is about to become a political hot button issue based on speculation and conjecture.

Like with alcohol, these "bans" will simply not work. Those who use vaping devices will, as they put it, buy "illicit vaping products or modify products purchased legally". Then we will see the number of deaths and illnesses skyrocket. But we can all sleep easier knowing we have, our "ban".

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spiked vapes and emergency room visits reveal dark side of CBD craze
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...heap-synthetic-marijuana-used-sub/2339545001/

"Because CBD is the active ingredient in an FDA-approved drug, the FDA is responsible for regulating its sale in the U.S. But if CBD products are found to contain narcotics, the agency considers the investigation a job for the DEA, an FDA spokesman said."

"The DEA says it is focused on drugs responsible for killing thousands of Americans like fentanyl and methamphetamines."

“These are going to be bigger priorities on enforcement,” DEA spokeswoman Mary Brandenberger said.

Perhaps there are other priorities. And while we're banning products for the chemicals they contain.

Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.
http://www.safecosmetics.org/get-the-facts/chemicals-of-concern/

US cosmetics are full of chemicals banned by Europe – why?
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/may/22/chemicals-in-cosmetics-us-restricted-eu

Can Chemicals in Cosmetics Cause Cancer?
http://cancercode.org/can-chemicals-cosmetics-cause-cancer/

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can Chemicals in Cosmetics Cause Cancer?

Geez Baker, now all the gals will no longer be buying Dollar Store make up, lol.

Cosmetic can and do cause problem. On our trips to Mexico many of the women in our groups go to the phamacia to buy face creams. One of the creams removes a layer of skin but is a higher strength than what is bought here. We watched a gals face totally peel off in a day at the resort.

Recently I read about some cream in Mexico that has mercury in it. That can't be good.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...ing-mercury-tainted-skin-cream/?noredirect=on

Bill

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was a bad teenager and took up smoking to be in with the in-crowd. Quit when I was 21 and cannot stand to be in a bar or anyplace that's smoky. Recently on a California visit an old friend tried to give me a vaping thingie to use to better enjoy my trip...he had the best intentions. I took it and never used it, returned it to him when he took me back to airport. I wish he didn't vape, and I wish my mom didn't smoke Pall Malls her whole life (she died of a rupture of a 5 cm aortic aneurysm). I don't like to lecture friends and family...I gently suggest...one time. Than I drop it and hope they will one day see the light. Oh, I also know a gal who smokes some kind of rolling tobacco that's supposedly Indian and also supposedly organic...I bet that has some additives, and I bet it has nicotine, which is addictive. I guess I just am not Kool anymore! (Pun intended, that was my brand when I smoked long ago.)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So let's ban all alcohol. Do you realize how many lives are ruined every year by drunk drivers? Then there are the diseases/health problems associated with alcohol.
I'd be happy to compromise here. Let's ban alcohol sales in places that also sell gasoline. Let the retailer choose which business they want to be in.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
So it appears that all or most of the problems are caused when people buy e-cigarettes parts that have additives or flavorings. Whether the buyer knows it or not. Vitamin "E" oil has also been shown to be a part of the problem.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The average costs of a vape is between $20 - $40 dollars. How can young adults afford this habit?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
So it appears that all or most of the problems are caused when people buy e-cigarettes parts that have additives or flavorings. Whether the buyer knows it or not. Vitamin "E" oil has also been shown to be a part of the problem.

Vaping Scare: Unhealthy Actions From Health Officials
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/a...691541e)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=omnisend

"The several hundred cases of severe respiratory illnesses were not triggered by legal, regulated e-cigarettes. New York University public health professor Ray Niaura points out that those products “have been on the market for a long time,” making it highly unlikely that traditional e-cigarettes are suddenly causing lung problems. A study published last week in the New England Journal of Medicine found that more than half of patients with the lung illness - 24 of 41 - who were extensively interviewed in Wisconsin and Illinois reported having used the “Dank Vapes” brand.

One possible culprit in vaping lung illnesses - 'Dank Vapes'
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...691541e)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=omnisend

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much does one vaping e-cig costs?

G6 E-Cigarette Vape Starter Kit $35.00
Each G6 E-Cig Starter kit comes complete with two automatic (78 mm) batteries and five cartomizers of your choice, plus a wall and USB charger.

https://www.halocigs.com/g6/starter-kit/

Not endorsing, just an answer to your question.
That's the entire kit. You can find individual units cheaper.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now I know why I never smoke. I cannot afford to smoke.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Although no single substance or product has been pinpointed for the illnesses, most patients have said they used e-cigarettes with THC, the main psychoactive chemical in marijuana. Many also said they were vaping nicotine, with or without THC."

"Federal and state investigators said last week one of the most common threads in reported cases of the "severe pulmonary disease" was street-purchased tetrahydrocannabinol or THC oil from marijuana that contained vitamin E acetate."

"As far as risk goes, the worst thing a teen can do when it comes to vaping is to use street-bought THC oil. That's because there are no standards for what goes into the product and can include contaminants, pesticides and the dangerous vitamin E acetate that state and federal investigators are honing in on as a possible reason for the lung illnesses."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...at-we-know-spate-cases-and-deaths/2264610001/

"Food and Drug Administration Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb told USA TODAY on Thursday that the deaths and illnesses and teen vaping concerns have been "conflated" and calls them "separate actions and separate public health concerns." On CNBC Monday, Gottlieb called for a "federal reckoning" and regulation of cannabis because of its link to most of the reported lung illnesses and deaths."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...llness-limited-impact-experts-say/2309607001/

"Cancer-care expert Dr. Diana Martins-Welch finds herself in an unusual position: Last week she started telling her medical marijuana patients to quit vaping cannabis and pick up a joint instead."

“I would never have thought I’d be in a position to tell someone to smoke marijuana. But if the choice is between smoking and vaping, smoke marijuana.”
"... because the FDA doesn’t regulate cannabis products, THC cartridges used in vaping get less federal scrutiny than Advil or the coloring in cosmetics."

"It's funny how all of the anti-vaping crowd has jumped on this. When you look at the data, it is clearly black market illegal products."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...all-regulation-marijuana-products/2301489001/

These products need to be regulated, not banned. Now we have cancer-care experts telling people to "pick up a joint instead"?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Will you please explain why people need to be able to smoke or vape when studies have shown that second hand smoking and vaping is harmful to those who do not smoke/vape?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quit when I was 21 and cannot stand to be in a bar or anyplace that's smoky...

I'm almost 85 and never smoked. Smoke filled bars, being around people who smoke, renting smoking rooms at hotels, second hand smoke etc. never bothered me...

George

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I'm almost 85 and never smoked. Smoke filled bars, being around people who smoke, renting smoking rooms at hotels, second hand smoke etc. never bothered me...

George

Congratulations, but there are scores of others whom it does. Some seriously or even fatally!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

George

Personally, there was a time that tobacco smoke didn't bother me at all. It was every where. Now days I don't like the smell more than I worry about the health risks.

Second hand smoke does kill about 41,000 Americans every year. I bet we all know of people that have passed away from second hand smoke. For me it was my sister in law who never smoked and died from lung cancer in her late 30's.

Bill

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I once did smoke, but no longer do and have no concerns about being around those that do. Other factors may be involved with those that develop cancer and have in some way been exposed to second hand smoke.

Is Secondhand Smoke as Bad as We Think It Is?
https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa16/2016/10/20/is-secondhand-smoke-as-bad-as-we-think-it-is/

"The American Lung Association states that over 41,000 people die due to secondhand smoke per year—approximately 7,330 from lung cancer and 33,950 from heart disease. I question these facts though because, how can you determine that secondhand smoke was the cause of someone’s death? There are so many factors that go into a person’s death; how can their lung cancer or heart disease definitively be linked to secondhand smoke? It just seems like a stretch to me, especially because they provided no scientific proof."

"This study looked at over 76,000 women and found that there is a strong link between smoking cigarettes and lung cancer, which at this point is a well-known fact, but they did not find a link between lung cancer and secondhand smoke."

"The study, however, only covers the link between secondhand smoke and lung cancer, and doesn’t take into account its effects on asthma, heart disease, and other negative consequences that are generally believed to be associated with secondhand smoke. This study seemingly doesn’t actually have that surprising of a conclusion, as it is already largely believed and known that at low exposure levels to secondhand smoke, the risk will not be that great."

"Out of the 40,000 women who reported never having smoked, approximately 10% of them—about 4,000—reported no exposure to secondhand smoke and only 152 of them developed lung cancer during the follow-up. These numbers are incredibly small, especially compared to the 76,304 participants, and you cannot draw any hard conclusions, especially one that is so strong and contrary to normal thought, from this small of a sample size."

Is Second-Hand Smoke Really that Dangerous?
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/look-it-way/200907/is-second-hand-smoke-really-dangerous

"The largest and longest study (Enstrom & Kabat) followed more than 35,000 subjects for almost 40 years and found no significant risk associated with second-hand smoke. Similarly, the World Health Organization spent seven years at a dozen research centers in seven countries and came to the same conclusion"

"So, I have to wonder - bottom line - about genetic pre-dispositions to cancer. Are some people hair-trigger loaded to come down with lung cancer if they're exposed to lots of smoke, a little smoke or no smoke at all? It would explain why some people smoke all their lives and suffer not at all while others don't smoke and suffer respiratory disorders. It would also explain why Asians (Chinese and Japanese smoke all the time) don't have the same rate of lung cancer deaths that Americans do."

This ties into the current Draconian anti-vaping movement underway. I don't know of one published autopsy or medical study that definitely shows that vaping, in and of itself, was the cause of death. What the individual inserts into the device, of their own free will or purchases on the street corner is a concern and should be.

Proven unbiased correlation and unsubstantiated opinions are quite different.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Let me preface this by saying I once did smoke, but no longer do and have no concerns about being around those that do. Other factors may be involved with those that develop cancer and have in some way been exposed to second hand smoke.

Even if the number of deaths from smoking are only a third of what is claimed by the CDC theses preventable deaths are many.

Bill