• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions before I buy

TS numbie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I am ready to buy my first TS and I am about 99%certain it will be Hilton. I have done a lot of reading in here and the HGVC site and have found so much information. Thanks to everyone on here that contributes it makes me feel much more comfortable about buying having all this information. I just have a few questions that I think I know the answer to but I would like to be 100% and get some options as well about the strategy.

I will be buying enough points to get two weeks of a 3 bedroom in the Breckinridge property during March ski season (16800 points). I am going to buy points from a property that currently has AF at $1000 or less per 8400 points. There are a couple options in that category. Here are my questions.

1. Is the availability ok to do this if Breckinridge is not my home resort?

2. One of the properties in my budget is the ones in Scotland, any possible problems with international ownership other than exchange rate variability?

3. Hilton pays for your yearly RCI membership but not the cost of doing the actual exchanges?

4. How well do the lock off’s rent out in this property?(if we don’t need all three bedrooms some years).

Thanks for the help, just still nervous about making the right purchases. It will still be a while before I buy but if the right thing all of a sudden came up I wanted to make sure I had these questions settled in my head.

Reaction score
I'll be looking forward to the comments on this as I too have been wondering about the Scotland properties. They seem to have amazing MF rates.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
3. Hilton pays for your yearly RCI membership but not the cost of doing the actual exchanges?

Correct, your HGVC membership includes the annual RCI membership fee but all other RCI fees are in addition such as Ongoing Searches etc.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I will be buying enough points to get two weeks of a 3 bedroom in the Breckinridge property during March ski season (16800 points). I am going to buy points from a property that currently has AF at $1000 or less per 8400 points. There are a couple options in that category. Here are my questions.

Frankly, no. It is very difficult to reserve a ski week at Valdoro (Breckenridge) during Club Season (9 months out). Three major factors against you: full weeks are tough to find there, it is a small property and only a handful of 3BR units, and March is the most popular month for skiing (the week between Christmas and New Years, not withstanding). It is easier to find some ski season reservations if you are flexible on dates, unit size, and shorter stays not requiring a Fri or Sat night.

Personally, I purchased a fixed week at Valdoro specifically so I could be guaranteed a ski week every year.

2. One of the properties in my budget is the ones in Scotland, any possible problems with international ownership other than exchange rate variability?
No problems reported, and owners there seem happy with their purchases. If you are comfortable w/ possible exchange rate variations, you should be fine. As a bonus, if you purchase resale from the sales departments at the Scotland properties, the points count toward Elite (you would reach the first level with the number of points you are considering).

Correct. All exchange fees, resort fees, AI fees (if applicable) are costs in addition to the points required.

4. How well do the lock off’s rent out in this property?(if we don’t need all three bedrooms some years).
Not sure which property you are referring to in this question. If you are referring to Valdoro, the 3BR units are not lockoffs. In fact, all units are dedicated units at that property (studio, 1BR, 2BR and 3BR).

Kurt

TS numbie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Thanks for your input Kurt. I was hoping the availability would be better. Might have to consider valdoro as my home property.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I agree with @PigsDad It will be difficult to book ski weeks at Valdoro if you don’t own there. Most of those weeks are fixed and the owners don’t give those up often.

One of the great things about Craigendarroch is that it’s also affiliated with Interval International (II), the other big exchange company. They have many upscale resorts (Marriott, Hyatt, Vistana), more so than RCI. You would have to purchase your own membership, but it might be worth it!

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I agree with the comments that you have already received from @PigsDad. I actually own a 3-Bd ski season week at Valdoro. I would not expect that you will be able to book 2 3-Bd weeks especially back-to-back or same week during ski season. @PigsDad is also very familiar with Valdoro and visits there often since he lives nearby (and also now owns there). Now, I think that @Remy may have some different opinions. I think if you have flexibility, partial weeks, take what is available in room selection, then I think that is possible.

I also own Craigendarroch. I bought there for the exact reasons which you stated (low MFs). I don't see any issues with purchasing there as long as you understand that MFs will depend upon the £ (British pound).

There are some LOs in the HGVC system (Valdoro isn't one of them) but I don't think that you can legally (per the rules anyway) split up the units. Per the rules, you are only allowed to rent your home week. You are not allowed to rent club bookings, per the rules.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
I agree with the comments that you have already received from @PigsDad. I actually own a 3-Bd ski season week at Valdoro. I would not expect that you will be able to book 2 3-Bd weeks especially back-to-back or same week during ski season. @PigsDad is also very familiar with Valdoro and visits there often since he lives nearby (and also now owns there). Now, I think that @Remy may have some different opinions. I think if you have flexibility, partial weeks, take what is available in room selection, then I think that is possible.

I also own Craigendarroch. I bought there for the exact reasons which you stated (low MFs). I don't see any issues with purchasing there as long as you understand that MFs will depend upon the £ (British pound).

There are some LOs in the HGVC system (Valdoro isn't one of them) but I don't think that you can legally (per the rules anyway) split up the units. Per the rules, you are only allowed to rent your home week. You are not allowed to rent club bookings, per the rules.

Same opinion based on weeks in a row. I currently have four ski weeks booked. 2 are in 3br units. If you’re talking multiple trips across the season, I wouldn’t buy there. If you are talking the same two weeks every year or your vacation is ruined, buy Valdoro.

TS numbie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Well. I guess the plan to pick up Valdoro at the 9 month mark is shot to hell. Thanks for taking the time to put your advice here, helped me from buying something I might be able to use. Now to reevaluate which way will be the best for 2 weeks in a row in March ski season (school spring break like all the other). Maybe buy Valdoro or look at places like grand timber or Marriot or Hyatt. Thanks again everyone.

Bart

TS numbie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None

So can you book back to back weeks at Valdoro in March ski season if you own two weeks worth of points with Valdoro as your home resort, in a 3 bedroom? Thanks for the help

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
So can you book back to back weeks at Valdoro in March ski season if you own two weeks worth of points with Valdoro as your home resort, in a 3 bedroom? Thanks for the help

I’m not sure on that. Valdoro is different from many of the resorts in the system. There are 3 types of platinum assignments: Fixed ski week, Summer Platinum weeks and Floating ski weeks. If I remember correctly, you can’t book at 12 months with summer platinum points and the floating ski weeks are you get to book any open weeks at 12 months. Your best bet with Valdoro is to buy the exact weeks you want so you are assured you have them. You will then be able to rent those out as they will be your deeded weeks.

Should read: You can’t book ski weeks at 12 months with summer platinum points.

Last edited:

TS numbie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
I’m not sure on that. Valdoro is different from many of the resorts in the system. There are 3 types of platinum assignments: Fixed ski week, Summer Platinum weeks and Floating ski weeks. If I remember correctly, you can’t book at 12 months with summer platinum points and the floating ski weeks are you get to book any open weeks at 12 months. Your best bet with Valdoro is to buy the exact weeks you want so you are assured you have them. You will then be able to rent those out as they will be your deeded weeks.

Ok. I didn’t realize Valdoro was that complex. That also makes since when I see listings for summer platinum points. This will definitely take a bit more research. Thanks

Mrs.SLLP

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC: Presidential Level
I am ready to buy my first TS and I am about 99%certain it will be Hilton. I have done a lot of reading in here and the HGVC site and have found so much information. Thanks to everyone on here that contributes it makes me feel much more comfortable about buying having all this information. I just have a few questions that I think I know the answer to but I would like to be 100% and get some options as well about the strategy.

Thanks for the help, just still nervous about making the right purchases. It will still be a while before I buy but if the right thing all of a sudden came up I wanted to make sure I had these questions settled in my head.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Ok. I didn’t realize Valdoro was that complex. That also makes since when I see listings for summer platinum points. This will definitely take a bit more research. Thanks
. Yes valdoro is complex. Like @dayooper stated, valdoro has both platinum winter and summer weeks. Make sure that you get the winter week deed.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yes, you definitely don't want a Summer Platinum deed there if you want to use it for skiing. Also, the ski season floating weeks (Platinum) deeds seem to be fairly rare -- at least I don't see many for sale on the usual sites.

The other thing to mention (and this is true for any HGVC deed) is if you buy a floating week and intend to use it to reserve a week during the Home Week reservation window (12-9 months out), make sure you buy the unit size that you need. For example, if you had 14000 floating week points (2-2BR Plat weeks), you could not use those points to book a 3BR (8400 pts) during the 12-9 month window. Home Week reservations must be the exact unit type you own. You probably already knew that, but it can be confusing and I know people who had mistaken expectations based on what they bought.

Kurt

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
So can you book back to back weeks at Valdoro in March ski season if you own two weeks worth of points with Valdoro as your home resort, in a 3 bedroom?

Yes, if you own 2 3Bd winter ski weeks. Like @PigsDad has stated, make sure that you purchase to correct deed. There are many who own multiple weeks at Valdoro.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Is my memory going bad or there used to be listings for valdoro that were packaged as 14k points. It comprised of one ski week and one summer week 2br iirc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Is my memory going bad or there used to be listings for valdoro that were packaged as 14k points. It comprised of one ski week and one summer week 2br iirc.

No, your memory isn't bad. I think that it is usually a fixed ski week with a summer float week. Valdoro has many of these type of deeds. They were also packaged with the 1 Bd plus also (12400 pts).

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
Sue Smith at Coylumbridge in Scotland has Platinum weeks for sale at £3400 with a maintenance fee of £504. Thats 7000 HGVC points and it counts towards Elite status. Closing cost is £195 and HGVC activation is £290.

upload_2019-9-17_10-42-43.png

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
@Anthony Schmid, Isn't Coylumbridge looking at an upcoming special assistment?

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview at Las Vegas, Elara a Hilton Grand Vacation Club, The Jockey Club, Hilton Grand Vacation Club at Coylumbridge, Hilton Grand Vacations at Craigendarroch, Hyatt Residence Club at Coconut Plantation, DVC Saratoga Springs
@Anthony Schmid, Isn't Coylumbridge looking at an upcoming special assistment?
I did ask this question to people close to Coylumbridge on the Facebook group "Coylumbridge Lodge Owners’ Closed Group" This is what someone responded and Attached are the minutes of the AGM Meeeting.

Morning, that’s not accurate as such, no.

In the minutes from the AGM, section 7 -affect of sale of hotel - stated we are all facing and increase of £28.75 on our fees to cover the cost of the expenditure this year of the hotel ditching us - ie new check in etc for us.

Section 8 The reserve fund - this is low due to recent upgrades and bank erosion project. Discussion on that was a recommended to increase all fees by £50, but that will involve further consultation. That’s £5/month.

There’s nothing specific to 2 bed lodges that I’ve seen. Hope this helps.

Minutes are pinned under ANNOUNCEMENTS section/tab at the top of the page.

I’ll ask - we’re up this weekend.

Attachments

• AGM-Minutes-2019.pdf
    931.7 KB · Views: 10

TS numbie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
So it looks like Coylumbridge is going to be a pretty cost effective ownership for the foreseeable future. Is it worth buying there only with plans of exchanging with II or RCI? How likely am I to get the 2 weeks of Breckenridge March ski season that I want with an exchange? (at any 3 bedroom that is, not just Hilton of course)? Just trying to figure out my best options, because it may be just waiting for the exact weeks to come up for sale and buy in Breckenridge or continue to rent each year.

Anthony Schmid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Highly doubt you will get 2 weeks in Breckenridge in March. here is whats available now:

upload_2019-9-17_13-45-32.png

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Just my 2 cents, but timeshare exchanges work best if you are not tied to a specific location for a specific date. Flexibility is everything. If you have specific needs then it will be best to buy at that resort so you can use the Home Season booking window. This will cost you more in MF's, but it will still likely be a ton less than booking that resort through a travel agent.