• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Whose your favourite pet?

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
6e4176fb482702a7f0c3dda1a0bf2683.jpg

Here’s mine..Kenney

A Pomsky.

He likes belly rubs, chew toys and getting into trouble by chewing mummy’s slippers.

I have never taken him on vacation. Although he has been known to go into my suitcase hoping to tag along.

Caught him sleeping .... again.

A great little friend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Who is. But Bear <--- over to the left is mine. He's a senior (11.5) like me. A Lowchen, said to be America's rarest purebred dog, blind. and my partner in crime.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
This is Jester, a toy poddle. He’s cute, little, playful, but mischievous. He likes licking my ear, belly rubs, ear rubs, chew toys, and meats.

He’s a smart fellow. I used to give him real treats after he finished his dental treats. Then one day I found half of them under the coach.

He does well at timeshares allowing pets.

Attachments

• 4B1A35A2-8287-4D05-A739-13D48908123E.jpeg
    4B1A35A2-8287-4D05-A739-13D48908123E.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 17

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
He’s a smart fellow. I used to give him real treats after he finished his dental treats. Then one day I found half of them under the coach.
We had toy poodles years back. We always found treats buried ("hidden") in the couch... either under pillows or between the cushions. As a rule, they were NOT allowed on the furniture... this was evidence that they did as they damn well pleased. They must have believed they were cats.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
IMG_20190512_183047_598.jpg
Kaya. Sweetest rescue ever.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Our Shih Tzu, Carolina Tea Olive, to the left! She's 9. Perhaps our last pup.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My older dog, as pictured in my avatar, Cody McPaddlefeet. He's a Dapple Black and Cream colored Longhaired Mini Dachshund. He's a great friend to his younger brother Kona, and to Kai, the rescue cat who treats them both like the chew toys they are. :)

Dave

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Phoenix, our miniature wirehaired dachshund. She will turn three in December. Total cutie pie sweetheart. Very easy dog to live with- well behaved, calm, easy-going. She’s an awesome traveler, and has been on many trips with us to Big Bear CA, New Mexico, Utah, Paso Robles, Santa Barbara, Lake Tahoe and Catalina Island. She’s also great in restaurants, just sits or lies quietly on her blanket under our table.

She participates in a variety of dog sports. She has a fair number of points towards her field trial Championship (daschunds are run on rabbit), loves Earthdog and den trials (working rats underground in tunnels/dens), and passed her first hunt performance test with flying colors (working in a pack of four dachshunds on rabbit). It’s very cool to see her do her thing in these instinct-based activities, where the training is more just shaping what she was born knowing how to do.

A few months ago, I started training her for the sport of Nosework, which is basically similar to the training you’d do for a drug sniffing dog except you train to three target odors (essential oils- birch, anise and clove). So far we haven’t done much except train. Soon she will take her Odor Recognition Test and once she passes that, she is eligible to participate in trials. She loves Nosework in a calmer way than the hunting tasks and sets to her sniffing tasks like a diligent little worker bee.

I had no intention of getting involved in the dog sports but one day she saw a chipmunk dash into a woodpile and she was positively electrified, chasing that chipmunk and staying on it was the most exciting thing she ever did. I knew about Earthdog and decided to give it a whirl. Earthdog led to field trials which led to Nosework. Now her dance card is full. ❤️

CAFF59AF-26FF-41E5-A076-0DDE4C6F759A.jpeg

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Felix. He loves the Beach. Recently we took him to Seaside Oregon for a very low tide minus 2.0. He ran forever.

Attachments

• 20180530_123458 (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Phoenix, our miniature wirehaired dachshund. She will turn three in December. Total cutie pie sweetheart. Very easy dog to live with- well behaved, calm, easy-going. She’s an awesome traveler, and has been on many trips with us to Big Bear CA, New Mexico, Utah, Paso Robles, Santa Barbara, Lake Tahoe and Catalina Island. She’s also great in restaurants, just sits or lies quietly on her blanket under our table.

She participates in a variety of dog sports. She has a fair number of points towards her field trial Championship (daschunds are run on rabbit), loves Earthdog and den trials (working rats underground in tunnels/dens), and passed her first hunt performance test with flying colors (working in a pack of four dachshunds on rabbit). It’s very cool to see her do her thing in these instinct-based activities, where the training is more just shaping what she was born knowing how to do.

A few months ago, I started training her for the sport of Nosework, which is basically similar to the training you’d do for a drug sniffing dog except you train to three target odors (essential oils- birch, anise and clove). So far we haven’t done much except train. Soon she will take her Odor Recognition Test and once she passes that, she is eligible to participate in trials. She loves Nosework in a calmer way than the hunting tasks and sets to her sniffing tasks like a diligent little worker bee.

I had no intention of getting involved in the dog sports but one day she saw a chipmunk dash into a woodpile and she was positively electrified, chasing that chipmunk and staying on it was the most exciting thing she ever did. I knew about Earthdog and decided to give it a whirl. Earthdog led to field trials which led to Nosework. Now her dance card is full. ❤️

View attachment 14103

She is absolutely adorable! I've always thought I would like a mini dashshund but have concerns about back issues that I've heard and read about. I would assume that the various field trails are designed with particular breeds in mind based on the breeds' natural instincts and body limitations. I'm wondering how one might help prevent these injuries (obviously not jumping off high beds, etc. ) and if training and these exercises strengthen her body against possible injuries in the future?

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
She is absolutely adorable! I've always thought I would like a mini dashshund but have concerns about back issues that I've heard and read about. I would assume that the various field trails are designed with particular breeds in mind based on the breeds' natural instincts and body limitations. I'm wondering how one might help prevent these injuries (obviously not jumping off high beds, etc. ) and if training and these exercises strengthen her body against possible injuries in the future?

You can’t really prevent disc problems in dachshunds, it’s bundled with the genes they get in being a dachshund.

That said, there are some things you can do to decrease the risk of the disc disease becoming symptomatic. Keep the dog lean and well muscled. Minimize high impact on the spine from jumping and twisting and frenzied activities. There’s some evidence out of Europe that spaying over the age of 4 years may have a protective effect- it’s unclear if this is a direct hormonal effect on the discs, or just a consequence of being better muscled. We have delayed spaying Phoenix for that reason.

Dachshund field trials and Earthdog are on flat ground, so there’s not much risk to the spine. The hunt performance tests are a little more free form, so in theory a dachshund could go flying off an embankment during one, so they entail maybe a little more risk, but they only have 30 min for the test and there’s only 4 tests per year, so it’s not tons of time. In her hunt performance test, Phoenix’s pack (actually not her pack, she was a substitute for a dog who couldn’t make it) did so great that the judges has us pick the dogs up after 15 min. They had performed so well that they passed all the elements of the test by that time, so there was no need to go on.

Nosework is intentionally low impact, it’s a sport specifically designed to be inclusive and fun for all dogs.

There are some sports that we don’t participate in, even though I know she would love it. Barn Hunt is a sport in which a rat is placed in a secure container amongst bales of hay and the dog’s task is to find the rat. Earthdog is similar except that the dogs must enter narrow underground tunnels and the tests are only open to dachshunds and small terriers. Barn Hunt is open to all dogs and as such does not take the dachshund back into consideration. I know for a fact Phoenix would be so excited in Barn Hunt that she’d repeatedly fling herself off hay bales. That’s just too high for her, and she’d be so ramped up that even if she was hurting herself, she’d be so full of adrenaline she wouldn’t feel pain. So we probably won’t ever participate.

I don’t want her to have a disc herniation of course, and not all disc herniations can be successfully treated. But it does help that I’m a veterinary neurologist so if I have the resources to treat her if she does have a disc problem. That helps.

I am actually much more scared of a coyote attack than a disc herniation. Coyotes are hunting those same rabbits that the dogs are working in the field trials. Coyote attacks on small dogs are commonly either fatal or very severe injuries.

Also I work with sick animals every day and I could go on and on about the terrible diseases that dogs get- purebreed and mixed breed alike. I could decide to get some other kind of dog and then worry about other types of illnesses. Or I could just get the dog I like and deal with medical problems if they arise.

My childhood dachshund died of renal failure at the age of 13, never had a back problem.

For the dachshunds I owned as an adult, #1 died of renal failure at 15, never had a back problem. #2 died in her sleep at the age of 12, but was paralyzed when I got her at the age of 4, I did back surgery on her and she made a full recovery and never had another problem. Phoenix is dachshund #3.

For a point of comparison, my Gordon Setter died of an insulinoma at the age of 10. They do all die from something eventually.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
They do all die from something eventually.
And that, dear friends, is somehing all pet lovers have to come to grips with. The price we pay for unconditional love.

Jim

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Knuckles2.jpeg

This is my 9 year old pug, Knuckles. First dog I've ever had. I didn't think I was capable of loving a dog but this little guy changed that. I love him and now am a huge fan of all dogs. He is just a lazy bundle of sweetness without a single ounce of meanness in him. Keeps me company and during some very dark times in my life forced me to get out of bed each morning b/c he needed taking care of.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
View attachment 14113

This is my 9 year old pug, Knuckles. First dog I've ever had. I didn't think I was capable of loving a dog but this little guy changed that. I love him and now am a huge fan of all dogs. He is just a lazy bundle of sweetness without a single ounce of meanness in him. Keeps me company and during some very dark times in my life forced me to get out of bed each morning b/c he needed taking care of.

Cool picture of Knuckles. Looks like a real mob boss or an alien from Men in Black, lol.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That picture of Knuckles makes me think a good name for a Pug would be Jabba, after the alien in Star Wars. He looks like Jabba the Hut. :)

Dave

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMG_20180814_092611_634.jpg I have 4 dogs and am in love with all them. The one in the picture is my soul mate. She's the best friend (animal or human) that I've ever had. She's 11 now and slowing down a little bit. She used to swim in the pool with me for up to an hour, but now she just goes in, does a half lap and gets right out. She's still my little sleeping toy.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
JBDesk.jpg

This is JB Orange Cat. See all that space behind the computer? That's where he starts out. As soon as I get involved with stuff on the computer he sliiiiiides his way toward the center of the desk. See the stack of tins to the right of the computer? That's my blockade to keep him from sliding around toward my mouse hand. He likes nothing better than to rest his head on my mouse hand, offering an occasional lick of encouragement. He would be happy to spend the entire day in a basket on the back porch, except that he takes his job as office manager very seriously and if Mom is at her desk he causes a ruckus until allowed in the side door to the office to resume his duties. He is the only cat we've ever had who understands voice commands and hand signals. When he spies me through the office window and demands to come in, I can make a "go around" signal with my hand or yell "JB, go around!" and he runs around the side of the house to the door. He can be faked out once per day, and only once. After he stalks grumpily back to the window (office is half a level down, so window is at cat level) because I didn't let him in, he won't "go around" again until he actually sees me get up out of my chair. Whenever Skidmark the orange cat makes an appearance on Fear the Walking Dead, we watch that episode together. If Skidmark gets eaten by zombies there'll be hell to pay from both JB and me! Like Skidmark, JB is a cat with Serious Behavioral Issues. One entire side of my dresser and every door jamb at the back of the house has JB's artistic carvings. A normal cat would destroy the upholstery, JB Orange Cat prefers all things wood.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
This is Kyle - he is our 4th Cocker Spaniel since 1991 and is 3-1/2 years old. We think he is pretty special - but did with his predecessors too! Two of ours were rescue dogs, but we got Kyle when he was 6 weeks old. He does not know that he is not a person! We have been able to take him on vacation with us to Rosarito, Mexico to a VRBO rental (2nd picture), but we do have a family that begs to keep him when we go on a timeshare vacation. :) As we are getting older, we know that he may be our last one, so we enjoy him like a grandchild.

upload_2019-9-18_13-45-51.jpeg
upload_2019-9-18_13-48-34.png

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
She’s one lucky girl to have you for sure! Not only is she having a great life doing what she loves to do but she has your expertise throughout.

I enjoyed reading about the events and also found the study on later spaying interesting. I’ve often thought of which small breed we would get next, or if we even should get another, as seniors. We’ve had four Shih Tzu’s over the years and adore them but I’ve been debating whether a Shih Tzu versus a breed that needs less grooming would be in our future. Have had a friend and a family member with mini’s and found them so sweet, devoted and a little hyper too, which had me wondering how I could prevent injury. Thank you for taking the time to respond so thoroughly.

Last edited: