• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Review of Galaxy's Edge / Disney World

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just got back from a trip to Orlando and visited Disney World for a couple of days. I also rented a campground so we could get the extra magic hours so that we'd get an extra three hours (from 6AM to 9AM) at Hollywood Studios so we could check out Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge.

We got to Hollywood Studios at 5:45 AM and went straight to Toy Story Land (this was a GREAT strategy as 90% of the people head to Galaxy's Edge). We rode Slinky Dog Dash, Midway Mania, and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (ahem Alien Swirling Saucers) to our hearts content, and headed to Galaxy's Edge. There's no question, it's impressive walking in and my inner geek was loving it.

We have young kids that didn't meet the height requirement for smuggler's run and so I stayed with the younglings and let the rest of the crew go on the ride. When I waited for the crew I went to Oga's Cantina. It's fun walking in, but I really didn't have much of a desire to stick around. The family next to me ordered some appetizer, tried a couple of bites and left the remainder. I ordered an apple juice and a Mustafarian Lava Roll (basically a cinnamon roll). The apple juice came out in a normal plastic cup (like a clear solo cup), so it was completely underwhelming (I'm guessing all non-alcoholic drinks have crappy containers -- which is too bad because my kids would have loved anything that looked neat). The cinnamon roll had ground up oreo's on it (I'm not sure why that makes it Star Wars like, but whatever)...it was just OK.

After Oga's, the rest of my crew was done with the ride, and it was my turn to ride Smugger's Run. I read a lot of good things about it, so I was excited. I did the rider switch and was really impressed by the theming. However, the animatronic guy that gives the mission looks horrible. Also, why did they choose a guy that no one has ever heard of to give instructions?

We got into the main bay of the falcon and everything looked great. There are some cool little details, so I'm starting to get really excited. When we got to the ride, it was not what I was expecting and was a huge let down. There are 2 pilots, 2 gunners, and 2 engineers. One pilot controls up / down, the other pilot controls left / right, and the gunners and engineers basically have the same job of pushing buttons as they light up. Seriously? This was the best they could come up with? Honestly, I didn't find it any better than Star Tours. The graphics in the game looked awful and weren't immersive at all. It looked like a mid 2000's crappy Star Wars Video game...at least the controls are more immersive on those crappy Star Wars video games.

My 5 year old daughter was one of the pilots...and a cast member asked our group how the ride was as we were getting out...the others on the ride basically said they thought it was "OK", and he said "Well you didn't have good pilots, it helps if you have good pilots". Gee thanks for making my 5 year old (dressed as Rey) feel bad, so then she's asking me why she wasn't a good pilot.

We toured the rest of the land and outside of the theming (which was great), there wasn't a whole lot of fun to be had. They like to have the characters walk around to make it seem like you are on Batuu, but a good chunk of the people are just confused about why Kylo Ren won't stop to take pictures with their kid.

It seemed like every cast member was trained to say the same dumb stuff "Rising suns, Younglings" -- which we heard about 18 times. Outside of those forced greetings, we didn't have a lot of interaction with "residents of Batuu".

I know this review may come across as a little harsh, but Disney has REALLY hyped this place and it really isn't very fun.

It's neat seeing the Millennium Falcon, but they have like three cast members assigned to making sure that it looks like it's empty in front of it for people to take pictures. It's like the whole land is designed to look great on Instagram, but it just feels hollow.

About 3 years ago we had annual passes to Disneyland and were thinking of doing it again for a year (to either World or Land)...we had been turned off by the price increases, but really expected to get hooked back in...and truly we wanted to....we didn't at all. We had a fine time, and we don't regret going, but we have absolutely no desire to return in the next couple of years.

Anyways, that's my take -- let me know if you have questions.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
We got into the main bay of the falcon and everything looked great. There are some cool little details, so I'm starting to get really excited. When we got to the ride, it was not what I was expecting and was a huge let down. There are 2 pilots, 2 gunners, and 2 engineers. One pilot controls up / down, the other pilot controls left / right, and the gunners and engineers basically have the same job of pushing buttons as they light up. Seriously? This was the best they could come up with? Honestly, I didn't find it any better than Star Tours. The graphics in the game looked awful and weren't immersive at all. It looked like a mid 2000's crappy Star Wars Video game...at least the controls are more immersive on those crappy Star Wars video games.

This sounds a lot like Mission : Space at EPCOT. Was it really that bad?

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for the review. We have an RCI exchange planned over the holidays for Disneyland that was reserved 2 years ago in anticipation of Star Wars Land. I heard that the second ride won't be open until late January 2020. We will miss it! I have heard similar reviews. What a letdown.

I don't want to spend twice to visit again. When our kids were young we had annual passes. Now Disney charges so much I really think hard about going. Debating whether to go somewhere else and then visit after they finalize everything.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We just went to Disneyland a week ago and visited Galaxy’s Edge. We thought the ride was well done. Was my mind blown? No. But it’s a theme park ride, I wasn’t expecting a transcendent experience. I’ve never thought that much of Star Tours, and I definitely think Smugglers Run is significantly better than Star Tours.

We enjoyed our drinks at Ogas Cantina and our Ronto Roasters.

Mostly though we enjoyed the overall look and feel of the land- it was very well done. We rode Smugglers Run in the morning and then spent more time in the land in the evening, after Ogas Cantina. It was pretty magical at dusk, you really felt like you could be on another planet.

We are types who like Disneyland for what it is: a nice theme park. We’re not into the concepts of “magic” or “pixie dust”. We don’t expect every aspect of our experience to be mind-blowing. We are not the types to MUST go regularly. We don’t consider ourself Disney connoisseurs. So in that regular-Joe context, we really enjoyed our visit, including Galaxy’s Edge. We upgraded to the new Flex Annual pass and plan on spending 10 days in the two California parks this year. Then we’ll probably take a couple of years off.

Just another perspective. To us, it was an enjoyable visit and well worth the expense.

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
We loved it. Oga’s Cantina is a must. Ronto’s Roasters food was horrible other than that great experience. Smuggler’s Run was fun not earth shattering, but the queuing is brilliant much like Avatar FOP, an experience in itself.

As others have said the land is beautiful. The cast members are all in character. If you see anyone that you think might support the resistance, tell them “light the spark” and they’ll let you know...

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

This sounds a lot like Mission To Mars at EPCOT. Was it really that bad?

It's been a long time since I've done that ride at Epcot, but I did hear a few people mention it was similar. It was fun but just disappointing. I really didn't have a strong desire to ride it again (wait times were low too -- listed wait time was 35, but it was probably only around 20 minutes).

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
My bff's daughter and her family live in Florida. They are huge Disney fans and have year passes. They got to go to a special opening of Galaxy's Edge and LOVED it! And this is a woman who works at Kennedy Space Center. :)