• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta-tipping included?

77JC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge x2, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark
Hello! I recently joined some friends who are Grand Luxxe owners for a few days at the NV property. They said all tipping was included. I am planning on travelling back on an exchange and wanted to make sure this was the case? It didn't seem right to me-I still left a tip for housekeeping the night I was there. Thanks in advance for the information.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I always tip the housekeeping staff and the wait staff at the restaurants when I’m there. It’s generally optional and you’ll hear conflicting opinions, but they always treat us very well.

Even more important is remembering the names of the folks that stand out so that you can mention them in any reviews you write. The company monitors Trip Advisor reviews for that as an input to employee performance appraisals and awards.

Oh, never even think about tipping people from sales....;)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
To add, In Mexico, many people work exclusively for tips. You will get extras if you tip waitstaff and housekeeping (tip them early in the stay). Grocery baggers do not get a salary, it's tips only- I'm generous- about 1 peso/bag. The exception is taxi drivers. They set the price, so no tip is necessary.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
They may have referred to the included gratuity? at least last time we were there, any drink/meal orders had an 18% gratuity added, if I recall correctly.

But tipping for housekeeping staff is not included, AFAIK.
I usually tipped extra in USD if they came around and got me drinks. For the meals, we'd usually tip, but it was interesting because at the time (this may have changed) the meal "included" tips, but the receipt would have it broken down in pesos, but you tipped extra in USD/dollars.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
They may have referred to the included gratuity? at least last time we were there, any drink/meal orders had an 18% gratuity added, if I recall correctly.

But tipping for housekeeping staff is not included, AFAIK.
I usually tipped extra in USD if they came around and got me drinks. For the meals, we'd usually tip, but it was interesting because at the time (this may have changed) the meal "included" tips, but the receipt would have it broken down in pesos, but you tipped extra in USD/dollars.
Why would you tip in any currency other than the local kind? Sure, arguably more convenient for you, but the recipient would have to exchange it into pesos to spend it, and that costs them part of the money. Plus, if you give them (US)coins, they are worthless, as they can't be exchanged.

Please, When you travel internationally, and choose to tip, give it in local currency. To them, our curency is 'funny money'.

Jim

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would you tip in any currency other than the local kind? Sure, arguably more convenient for you, but the recipient would have to exchange it into pesos to spend it, and that costs them part of the money. Plus, if you give them (US)coins, they are worthless, as they can't be exchanged.

Please, When you travel internationally, and choose to tip, give it in local currency. To them, our curency is 'funny money'.

Jim

I don't know, ask Vidanta why they printed two different currencies on the receipt.

It's possible they changed it, but when we were there, the food pricing was in pesos and the tip line was in USD.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Jim

At Vidanta, when I tip in the restaurants I sign it to my room in pesos. I verified with my regular servers there that they get the bulk of it; even for cash tips, they share 25% with the backroom staff.

For housekeeping staff, I ask which they prefer. It’s often dollars. It doesn’t make a difference to me which it winds up being so I go with their preference instead of assuming.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know, ask Vidanta why they printed two different currencies on the receipt.

It's possible they changed it, but when we were there, the food pricing was in pesos and the tip line was in USD.

Look carefully. The symbol they use for pesos is like the dollar sign with one line, for dollars it has two lines.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We always use pesos when in Mexico. We tend to bring home around 4000 pesos so that we have enough for the taxi, a meal and beverages before going to a bank ATM and the grocery or OXXO On our next trip. You get better conversion rates at the bank ATM than at the resort or any restaurants too.

When I went to London, Zurich, Rome, and Spain, I used Pounds, Swiss Francs, and Euros where needed. Our stores do not accept foreign currency, so why should they?

We also tip the servers and housekeeper individually in pesos at the time of service.

77JC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge x2, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark
Thank you all for the good information. As my Mexico experience is limited to primarily cruise ship stops I appreciate your help and want to make sure to take care of the staff in the right way. I just might even tip the sales guy if it gets them to leave us alone!