• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Helicopter volcano tour on Big Island

radley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Has anyone done a helicopter tour of the volcanoes on Big Island?

We are there in a few weeks and I am wondering about booking this tour. If you've done do you have a recommendation?

I am popping this on the Hawaii board too. Very excited - never been before!

Thanks

Radley

radley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Has anyone done a helicopter tour of the volcanoes on Big Island?

We are there in a few weeks and I am wondering about booking this tour. If you've done do you have a recommendation with any particular tour company?

Thanks in advance

Radley

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure you book it when the weather is good. I would wait until the day prior to make a reservation. This time of year should be fine, but you never know if a front will pass through or high winds can cause a lot of turbulence and ruin your ride. They will not cancel and take you in bad weather. So it is up to you to pick the best day.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Blue Hawaiian out of Hilo, look for the coupon books all over the place.

Avoid the people in the booths offering free helicopter rides, they are body snatchers for a timeshare presentation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Early AM is normally better weather.

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Doors off helicopter ride over the volcano is the best way to go! https://paradisecopters.com/ We did this 2 years on the Big Island - you could feel the heat from the lava and smell the sulfur. This was also when the volcano was active.

We've done both doors on helicopter, doors off on multiple islands and would recommend doors off every time. You get to fly a bit lower experience the wind rush

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Blue Hawaiian is probably the biggest operator. If you are staying at the Marriott, they have a heliport right in Waikoloa on the main road at the north entrance to Waikoloa Resort. Since that is quite a ways from the volcano, the tours departing there will be more expensive (more flying time) than their tours departing Hilo, which is much closer. Blue Hawaiian uses the newer, smoother-flying A-Star and Eco Star helicopters. There are other operators as well. Our last Big Island helicopter tour was way back in 2005 - a door-off Hughes 500 flight with Paradise Helicopters. I'm not sure if they are still around or what equipment they might use today if they still are.

Just be advised that the Kilauea volcano is no longer erupting anywhere on the Big Island, so you will not see any lava flowing, "red glow", or anything like that. You will be able to see the old inactive craters from last summer's eruption, but no current activity.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
We also did Blue Hawaiian out of Hilo and highly recommend them. They are a top-notch organization. If you are staying at WBR or that area, they also offer tours from a helipad just across the highway from HGVC Kings' Land. It is more expensive than going out of Hilo, but it does save you the drive.

My wife has a bit of a fear of heights, so getting her into one of the newer, larger, doors-on helicopters that Blue Hawaiian offers, took some persuading, but she loved the experience. Getting her into a doors-off helicopter would be a non-starter!

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
What's Going On With the Volcano?
Please Be Aware:
Beginning in May, 2018, the lava lake that existed inside Halema‘uma‘u crater disappeared and lava flows from Puʻu ʻŌʻō crater have ceased. There is no molten lava or lava glow to see anywhere in or out of the park.

This still holds true if you were hoping to see lava, you will be out of luck. The good news is that we have not had VOG since the eruption ceased and our sky has been very clear.

radley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for all your help and for taking the time to reply. TUG people are so helpful!
Thank you
Radley

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have used Blue Hawaiian 3 or 4 times over the years. We have really enjoyed the trips and i recommend them, though i would not keep going except we travel with family and friends that want to go. . The first time we flew out of Waikaloa and after that we have always opted for flying out of Hilo to save money.

In my opinion the trips are interesting even if the volcano not actively erupting, as you will see sight that you won't otherwise.

I suggest booking the flight for early in your trip, that way if there is bad weather you have time to reschedule.

Retired to Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Ocean Club, Marriott Waiohai, Royal Caribbean
Blue Hawaiian is probably the biggest operator. If you are staying at the Marriott, they have a heliport right in Waikoloa on the main road at the north entrance to Waikoloa Resort. .
We will stay at the Marriott early October and would like to do this tour. Is the helipad close enough to walk, or is there a parking lot?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We will stay at the Marriott early October and would like to do this tour. Is the helipad close enough to walk, or is there a parking lot?
It's about two miles from the Waikoloa Marriott, so you could walk it, but I wouldn't advise it. There is a parking lot there.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You might think twice about flying from Waikoloa to see the volcano, its quite a bit more expensive compared to flying out of Hilo.

https://www.bluehawaiian.com/bigisland/tours

Compare yourself.

Did you look at the different length of times for those tours? That may be what makes one more expensive than the others. The tours out of Waikoloa are $569 for 2 hours, and $279 for 50 minutes. The tours out of Hilo are $99 for 15 minutes, $249 for 50 minutes and $439 for 105 minutes. When you get down to it, the ones out of Waikoloa aren't that much more.

Some things to consider would be, do you want to drive about 6 minutes each way to ride the helicopter, or do you want to drive an hour and a half to two hours each way.

Last edited:

Retired to Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Ocean Club, Marriott Waiohai, Royal Caribbean
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. We prefer not to drive to Hilo, as we have friends who drove twice to Hilo only to learn the ride was cancelled. Bummer. We'll park in the lot. We did a similar ride in 1991 (different company) and we understand it's a bit less dramatic right now without the lava flows. But for many reasons, we'd like to go again.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you look at the different length of times for those tours? That may be what makes one more expensive than the others. The tours out of Waikoloa are $569 for 2 hours, and $279 for 50 minutes. The tours out of Hilo are $99 for 15 minutes, $249 for 50 minutes and $439 for 105 minutes. When you get down to it, the ones out of Waikoloa aren't that much more.

Some things to consider would be, do you want to drive about 6 minutes each way to ride the helicopter, or do you want to drive an hour and a half to two hours each way.

We typically visit Hilo anyway, its a nice drive and there are other things to do there. Orchid Farm, BI Cookie Factory, Farmers Market, etc.

The time spent over the volcano park is the same, the added time/cost from Waikoloa is spent on the trip there not over the volcano.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We typically visit Hilo anyway, its a nice drive and there are other things to do there. Orchid Farm, BI Cookie Factory, Farmers Market, etc.

The time spent over the volcano park is the same, the added time/cost from Waikoloa is spent on the trip there not over the volcano.

"If" you're going to be visiting Hilo, or "if" you're spending the night on that side of the island it might make sense to leave from Hilo. But "if" you're staying in Waikoloa and would only be coming over to Hilo to catch the helicopter and "if" the ride was canceled, like what happened to the OP's friends (twice), I'd be a bit upset. The savings wouldn't be worth it.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
"If" you're going to be visiting Hilo, or "if" you're spending the night on that side of the island it might make sense to leave from Hilo. But "if" you're staying in Waikoloa and would only be coming over to Hilo to catch the helicopter and "if" the ride was canceled, like what happened to the OP's friends (twice), I'd be a bit upset. The savings wouldn't be worth it.

We’ve been twice with no weather issues, but we used common sense and phoned before we left.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We’ve been twice with no weather issues, but we used common sense and phoned before we left.

YMMV

The OP has already stated they do not want to drive to Hilo just to get on the helicopter. Also, there are times when things look great in the morning, but by the time you get there, whoops, it's canceled.

cnote72

Reaction score
We were there just a few weeks ago and used Paradise Helicopters that left from KOA airport. We signed up through a kiosk Wyndham/Shell vacations next to Island Lava Java, if I remember correctly. We got a discount, but of course had to attend an hour presentation at the Wyndham Visitor place. That's when we bought our Hawaii Wyndham that we just got through sending in the rescission letter for. Helicopter ride was well worth the expense, would definitely do it again.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were there just a few weeks ago and used Paradise Helicopters that left from KOA airport. We signed up through a kiosk Wyndham/Shell vacations next to Island Lava Java, if I remember correctly. We got a discount, but of course had to attend an hour presentation at the Wyndham Visitor place. That's when we bought our Hawaii Wyndham that we just got through sending in the rescission letter for. Helicopter ride was well worth the expense, would definitely do it again.

Which helicopter tour did you take?