• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone interview for a new job when out on disability from current job?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I'm currently on short term disability due to surgery. I will be off for 6 weeks due to lifting restrictions. I've been off for less than 2 weeks. Before I went out for surgery I applied for a couple jobs. (I've been applying for jobs for approximately a year. when something within my wheelhouse pops up.) Yesterday I received an invitation to interview by phone. What do you think would happen with my current employer(large corporation 250k+ employees) regarding my disability payments if I was offered the job and gave my notice while I am on disability? I've worked at my current job for 31 years. Do you think they would demand repayment of my disability payments? I know I am thinking 25 steps ahead of where I am at. I'm curious if anyone has experience or insight from a similar situation?

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, the last formal job interview I had was over 30 years ago. By the way, I did not get the job and, no, I was not "out on disability..."

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Try Google. There is all kinds of information about this out there.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If the new job is within the scope of your abilities I think you should go for it. If it is substantially the same as your current one, you should at least make the potential new employer know the circumstances. What could be considered a conflict would be if you took the new position, and continued to accept disability payments from the old one.

Anyway, good luck and best wishes for a complete recovery. (I'm on light duty for a month post surgery myself. A PITA)

Jim

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Thanx, speedy recovery to you too. I definitely wouldn't "double-dip" but I remember a long time ago someone saying if someone was out on maternity leave and didn't go back they had to re-pay benefits. Not saying this was at my employer, just one of those "they said". I assumed any disability would be like that. If I get past the first interview I will need to determine what and when to say something to the interviewer.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Can you not tell the new employer that you can only start in 4 weeks' time? Most employers are willing to wait for an employee whom they really want.
Yeah my DH said the same thing. The job is at UW-Madison and he works there. He said they "should" be willing to wait. I posted this question here before I mentioned it to him. Like I said cart before the horse, I don't think I'm under the same stars as @slip is with new job opportunities.:)

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you feel; what your current employer is going to tell this new employer off the record about you and your work ethics ?

I feel you will not have to re - pay any disability payments because you are under a written doctor's order (not physical able to perform your daily work duties). Plus, you have not been released by your doctor that you are now physical able to return to work full time.

Please do not be terminated during this job search and lose your pension liked
the FBI person a few months ago..

Wishing you well and good luck
Remember a phone interview means you have make the first cut by the new employer.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that you did not make up the disability. The surgeon used the recommended standard 6 weeks off from work. It is unlike alot of fake workers compensation type of claim. There is no guilt!

I think you may tell the interviewer that you are currently on medical leave due to a minor surgery and that you will be off the medical leave in 4 weeks.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gina, DW (Sun Prairie girl) says that your disability payments are probably under some contractual deal with insurance. You should be able to get the actual answer from HR.

Jim

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Gina, DW (Sun Prairie girl) says that your disability payments are probably under some contractual deal with insurance. You should be able to get the actual answer from HR.

Jim
Honestly afraid to ask HR. The head of our HR department is a nasty little woman. I've been there long enough to have gone through a half dozen or more HR managers. This one is probably the second most heartless vindictive of the bunch. She would probably get a bonus for finding a reason to eliminate someone with my seniority. (Atmosphere is a significant reason for new job search.)

I could ask one of the lower level HR that I've known my entire career. I'd feel safer asking them.

I'll wait and see how the phone interview goes. 31 years at one company is a double edge sword. Longevity = loyalty/reliability VS why are you leaving after so many years.

Can you tell I'm nervous? Kinda glad it's a phone interview.

Thanx for the insight!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I could ask one of the lower level HR that I've known my entire career. I'd feel safer asking them.

I'll wait and see how the phone interview goes. 31 years at one company is a double edge sword. Longevity = loyalty/reliability VS why are you leaving after so many years.
I know what you mean. I had serious seniority at my last employer (#9 of over 3,000) and still, I wasn't 'blood', so therefore expendable. And top pay grade that if they eliminated would save the owner family a tidy bundle. The 'Great Recession of 2008/9 came along and I was told bacically to train my replacement. I was 62 and it was time to bow out.

I hope the phone interview goes well, then you'll know what the next move needs to be. Get well.

Jim

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Honestly afraid to ask HR. The head of our HR department is a nasty little woman. I've been there long enough to have gone through a half dozen or more HR managers. This one is probably the second most heartless vindictive of the bunch. She would probably get a bonus for finding a reason to eliminate someone with my seniority. (Atmosphere is a significant reason for new job search.)

Can you tell I'm nervous? Kinda glad it's a phone interview.

Thanx for the insight!

You're touching on something here that entered my thinking when I read this - if it suited your company's needs, would they hesitate to terminate you?
Loyalty is dead and gone - and while it should NOT be that way, corporations worry too much about their dollars and bottom lines and simply do not care anymore about the welfare of their employees.

You must always do what is in your bet interest - why?
Because the company will do the same thing.

I hate how that sounds, but that's the way it is.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I should add this - I was laid off during the early 2000's by a company who said my performance was at the top level, but due to financial concerns they had to trim salary. I was considered expendable and I likely think it had something to do with being off for major surgery for several weeks. (This layoff happened within a couple of months after I returned to work and I was one of many people laid off.)
I was free to apply for other jobs within the company and was even given 'preferred hiring status' - whatever that meant.

Those scars went deep (still do) - and I swore to never allow a consideration of loyalty to a company to cloud my judgement again.

Corporations will toss you out like yesterday's leftovers if it suits their needs.

(blank) 'em.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I would think you would be free to interview and accept the new job while on disability. However, if you started your new job during the disability time period, that is the point at which it becomes double-dipping. I see no reason you need to contact your current HR until you accept the new position and have a firm start date. At that point, I would expect your disability payments to end, which seems fair. Unless you received your full 6 weeks of disability payments up front, I don't see an issue. Am I missing something?

Kurt

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Corporations will toss you out like yesterday's leftovers if it suits their needs.

(blank) 'em.

I completely agree with this. Used to think I mattered, we all did. Then the company changed, the family that ran the company started to disappear from the board. The '08 recession furthered the downward turn. Next we were bought out by a European gazillionaire. We are all clear that we are just a number. It's kinda sad.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
corporations worry too much about their dollars and bottom lines and simply do not care anymore about the welfare of their employees.

You must always do what is in your bet interest - why?
Because the company will do the same thing.

I hate how that sounds, but that's the way it is.

Completely agree. Sad state we're in.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

(blank) 'em.

Yup. Many of the people I knew when I was in business were very loyal to their companies only to get the shaft as they aged.

Bill

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Set your start date for a week or two after disability ends. Then you have time to turn in your resignation to your current employer. Getting a new job takes time, even if someone is already interested in you.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I never heard of having to pay back maternity or disability benefits. You have paid into the system for years, now you are using the benefit.

That said, do you know any HR professionals who don't work for your company? I have a friend of a friend who can answer questions like this.

Anyway, I would interview for the job and drag things out as much as possible without calling attention to it. (Like if they say, we can interview you this Thursday or next Wednesday, choose next Wednesday.) Then if you get it, yes, choose the latest possible start date. Will you have to give two weeks' notice at your old job?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Will you have to give two weeks' notice at your old job?

I have been out of the workplace for a number of years but in talking to many of the younger generation they tell me it is not at all uncommon not to give two weeks notice when changing jobs. In fact they tell me it is common in lower paid hourly pay jobs to give no notice at all. Just don't show up...

George

Last edited:

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been out of the workplace for a number of years but in talking to many of the younger generation they tell it it is not at all uncommon not to give two weeks notice when changing jobs. In fact they tell me it is common in lower paid hourly pay jobs to give no notice at all. Just don't show up...

George

But the OP is an adult in a job with benefits.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I have been out of the workplace for a number of years but in talking to many of the younger generation they tell it it is not at all uncommon not to give two weeks notice when changing jobs. In fact they tell me it is common in lower paid hourly pay jobs to give no notice at all. Just don't show up...

George
I'm definitely not "of the younger generation" . If I am offered and accept I will give notice. If they have managed w/o me while I'm out on disability any notice I give won't make much difference, but it'll make me feel better.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
All I was trying to say is that the employment world is changing. What came first, employer insensitivity or the change in employee behavior? I have no clue. We may not agree with it but it is what it is...

George