• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's OceanWatch partially open/close

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a trip coming up this week with Oceanwatch sandwiched between 3 stays. After Dorian went through, OceanWatch reopened partially on that Sunday. I forgot all about it and assumed that it will be fully open by the time we check in. Something was lurking at the back of my mind and yesterday I remembered that I better check on Oceanwatch on Facebook as that is where Marriott is posting their updates. I have yet to receive a pre-arrival email from MVC.

This was the most recent update on September 12:

"Hurricane Dorian Update: Marriott’s OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes remains partially open and the resort’s pool, beach, and amenities are all operating as usual (weather permitting). Our management team and disaster recovery contractor continue their efforts to make additional villas available as quickly as possible, and we currently anticipate that the vast majority of the resort’s villas will be available for occupancy in early October.

If you have a question about an upcoming exchange reservation through Interval International, please contact Interval International at 800-468-3782. All other Owners and guests should contact Marriott Vacation Club Customer Care at 800-860-9384, or via email at customer.care@vacationclub.com. Further updates will only be provided if weather conditions change and impact the resort’s operations and/ or storm recovery efforts."

I private messaged through FB and I was told that they were only confirming reservations for this weekend's reservation. When I pressed, the response was that they did not anticipate any cancellations for owner reservations.

As a DC points owner, I do not consider myself an owner at any particular resort. Regardless, I called and I was told that my reservation was confirmed. It sounds like some II reservations may not be honored.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
A DC points owner is not an owner in the legacy owner sense...you have no deed to reflect your ownership. But, you have a partial ownership in every MVC resort that’s in the trust. So you are definitely an owner.

Glad you got in to MOW. We have been here since Thursday, and the weather has been wonderful. And it’s not crazy busy either, though more people have been able to check in.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A DC points owner is not an owner in the legacy owner sense...you have no deed to reflect your ownership. But, you have a partial ownership in every MVC resort that’s in the trust. So you are definitely an owner.

Glad you got in to MOW. We have been here since Thursday, and the weather has been wonderful. And it’s not crazy busy either, though more people have been able to check in.
Do you know if the front buildings were closed? Someone posted on FB that while they own a deeded ocean front unit, the confirmation came in for an ocean view unit at one of the back buildings. My reservation is for an ocean side unit as ocean front was not available then.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
As a DC points owner, I do not consider myself an owner at any particular resort. Regardless, I called and I was told that my reservation was confirmed. It sounds like some II reservations may not be honored.

That was our experience with Irma in HHI two years ago. II bookings are the first to go. That's one contributing reason we haven't deposited with II since. We're using our final II deposit in Palm Desert next month. Live and learn.

We were in HHI this past weekend and the island is in great shape. No significant impact at all.

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you know if the front buildings were closed? Someone posted on FB that while they own a deeded ocean front unit, the confirmation came in for an ocean view unit at one of the back buildings. My reservation is for an ocean side unit as ocean front was not available then.

We have no factual information about the resort and what is available for check in. It seems like everyone we talk to (Marriott personnel) has a different understanding of the current situation. By observation, we can see units in the Conch, Scallop, and Starfish buildings are occupied. But we can’t tell how many of them are unavailable. Owners we have talked with here have been placed in units corresponding to their ownership, as were we, but we certainly haven’t spoken with everyone.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I called II today and they said, to the best of their knowledge, everything will be fully open by this weekend. My reservation is in 3 weeks