• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Air Fare Tracking Websites

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting and useful to start a thread on airfare tracking websites. I'm particularly interested in hearing opinions and experiences from others.

I'll start by saying that I recently started using Skyscanner to track airfares. What I like about Skyscanner is that I can track for a specific flight and level of service, not just between two locations. I focus my travel on Alaska Air so that I can build mileage and frequent flyer status. So I generally zero in on a specific flight that meets our needs - or if not a specific flight I know the days.

With Skyscanner I can set up a search that exactly matches the search criteria I set up. I then get a daily email that advises me of fare changes on each search that I have set up. I also can opt out of other notifications, so my Inbox isn't getting flooded with other notices. I also didn't give them my primary email address - I sent their email to one of my secondary email addresses.

I have a significant amount of travel scheduled for the remainder of this year (close to 25k total air miles on eight flight segments). I started using Skyscanner about one month ago, and so far due to their alerts, I've been able to save about $600 by cancelling and rebooking. I also missed out on another $120 saving because I didn't check the secondary email account where I get their messages for several days - they notified me of a price reduction, but by the time I checked it was gone.

I tried setting up similar fare alerts with Kayak, but it didn't seem that I could be as specific as I could get with Skyscanner. I also like getting a daily email, so I can see exactly which fares I'm tracking and what is happening. In reviewing one of their emails, I noticed that I had a flight for which I hadn't set up an alert. So I added that and was rewarded a couple of weeks later with a ~$100 fare reduction that I would have otherwise missed.

Obviously, I'm pretty pleased with Skyscanner - but maybe there are other options out there that I would be even more pleased with if I knew about them. And since TUGgers are also travelers, I think it would be helpful to share information about what is out there and what works.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Hi Steve,

If you haven't already - check out www.hopper.com.
I'm not sure how they compare to Skyscanner. I know you can set up price alerts but I haven't done so yet. I'll be interested to see your & other Tugger's feedback.

Happy Trails.

Richard

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting and useful to start a thread on airfare tracking websites. I'm particularly interested in hearing opinions and experiences from others.
A side note. One reason why I stick to Alaska Airlines is to reach MVP Gold status. A key benefit is that cancellation penalties are waived. So for the transactions I outlined, when the fare goes down I can cancel the existing reservation and rebook without being charged cancellation fees, even though I have booked a non-refundable air fare. So in the rebooking scenarios I described above, that by itself has saved me $300 in fees.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Having used Hopper and Google Flights, they both seem to be basing their recommendations on past history. What I noticed is that since the grounding of the MAX and all of the flight cancellations, the data is not holding to past trends.
Using these sites one has to be aware that the posted cost is the lowest...bare bones, and be sure to use exact dates of travel. Some sites do have the option of tracking upgraded tickets...like including seat selection, but I found that the search still presented lowest fares regardless. Of all the sites i used for tracking, Hopper and Google Flights seemed the best.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Having used Hopper and Google Flights, they both seem to be basing their recommendations on past history. What I noticed is that since the grounding of the MAX and all of the flight cancellations, the data is not holding to past trends.
Using these sites one has to be aware that the posted cost is the lowest...bare bones, and be sure to use exact dates of travel. Some sites do have the option of tracking upgraded tickets...like including seat selection, but I found that the search still presented lowest fares regardless. Of all the sites i used for tracking, Hopper and Google Flights seemed the best.
One of the things I liked about Skyscanner was the ability to customize the search if desired. You can select a specific level of service (economy, coach, business class, first, etc.). You can be as specific as a specific flight on a specific day, in a particular level of service.