• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Renting Out Through Expedia and/or Airbnb

Princ3ssgldy

Reaction score
Hi All:

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience renting out their reservations on Airbnb, Expedia or any similar sites.

I occasionally find myself with leftover points, and I that seems like a good way to make back some money. I know that TUG and a few other websites have marketplaces devotes specifically to timeshare exchanges, but the market on those sites is exponentially bigger so I imagine that the profit would be bigger as well.

As far as DVC is concerned, I remember that the contract permitted rentals as long as they were not on a commercial scale.

So my question is, anyone have any good or bad experiences renting out their reservations on a large site?

Thanks!!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The problem is that the fees are high, the terms favor the renter, and the rental company controls the rental and what happens if there is a problem.

Princ3ssgldy

Reaction score
The problem is that the fees are high, the terms favor the renter, and the rental company controls the rental and what happens if there is a problem.

As to the fees being high, that might be offset by a higher rental price. It's a determination that will have to be made on a case-by-case basis.

What do you mean that the terms favor the renter and that the rental company controls the renatl? I know that, at least on Airbnb, I can set my own cancellation policies and require a substantial non-refundable deposit upon making the rental. I can also set the dates which are available.

In the event that there is a problem, how is someone less protected by renting through a company that going directly to the renter?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
With AirBnB, does the company collect the renter's payment, or does the owner? The entity that controls the money, controls the rental.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
With AirBnB, does the company collect the renter's payment, or does the owner? The entity that controls the money, controls the rental.

Hi Denise, AirBnB will collect all the fees from the renter and distribute to the owner. The owner, if they desire, has minimal interaction with the renter. I've used them on various occasions and found them great to work with.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have you ever had anything go wrong? In a situation where the renter and owner have a disagreement, then AirBnB is going have control and AirBnB may not make the decision that the owner would. YMMV

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you ever had anything go wrong? In a situation where the renter and owner have a disagreement, then AirBnB is going have control and AirBnB may not make the decision that the owner would. YMMV

Can't say I've ever had that come up. Most everything is covered and spelled out prior to renting regarding the process. Should a question come up, the renter and owner have the opportunity to talk and should be able work that out I would imagine. And yes, I would prefer to be able to solve any issues directly with my renter, should there be any.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi All:
I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience renting out their reservations on Airbnb, Expedia or any similar sites.
I occasionally find myself with leftover points, and I that seems like a good way to make back some money. I know that TUG and a few other websites have marketplaces devotes specifically to timeshare exchanges, but the market on those sites is exponentially bigger so I imagine that the profit would be bigger as well.
As far as DVC is concerned, I remember that the contract permitted rentals as long as they were not on a commercial scale.
So my question is, anyone have any good or bad experiences renting out their reservations on a large site?
Thanks!!
If you're looking to rent out DVC points, I wouldn't go any other route than using one of the DVC-specific rental sites, such as The DVC Rental Store or David's DVC Rentals. The rental demand for DVC is insane, and you would have no problem finding takers using one of those sites.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
With Airbnb, a renter may claim Extenuating Circumstances and your strict no-refund policy will be overridden, you will be forced to refund.

JohnB3

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - SSR
Grandview Las Vegas (RCI Points)
Marriott - Willow Ridge
I think its easiest to just rent your points with someone like Davids. I had points I could not use (once upon a time) and that process was simple and fairly easy