• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying DC points direct from Marriott

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a number of Hilton Grand Vacations timeshares, but haven't been happy with the limited range of geographies in HGVC so I am looking at Marriott. I have been through a sales presentation, but have some questions better suited to this group...

Looking at the charts, we need about 5,500 - 9,000 points to pay for a typical 8-10 day summer vacation at the properties that I looked at within MVC (mostly Caribbean, 3 bedroom units). It would seem that 7,000 points would be ideal since it would get us the benefits of Presidential level.

1) At the current promotional pricing, 7,000 points would cost about 85,000, with MFs around 4K per year. We would also get another 14K promo points one time. For comparison, if we book a comparable 3 bedroom unit and pay cash (at the Ritz for example) cost would be around $12,000 per for the same time period in the same 3 bedroom unit as our 7,000 points would buy. Comparing costs we have:
Cash rental: $10,000 - 12,000 per year
MV: Upfront cost of 85K, yearly maintenance of $4K (roughly)

Assuming that hotel / rental price increases stay roughly in line with MF increases, it would make sense to buy MV DC points if we owned for 10+ years, but less than that we are still better off paying cash each year. Agree? Am I missing anything in terms of hidden costs, difficulty of getting those nice Ritz units, etc.?

2) I am very confused on how the resale system works. I understand we would not get the benefits of Presidential status with resale (which might be important to us since some of the properties we looked at were only available to Presidential status or above). I also read in the sticky that if you purchase a resale DC deed, you have to pay each year to use the points? How does that work exactly? What is the cost to use those points that you own resale?

3) Anything else we should be considering?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Presidential status starts at 10K points. 7K to 9K points won't get you to Presidential status. You have 2 cheaper alernatives.
1. Buy a bundled package of weeks and points from MVC and that should come up to around $70K for 10K points. MVC will make the week(s) enrollable.

2. Buy 10K resale points at around $4 per point to seller plus $3 per point paid to MVC to bring the points into the system, i.e. unrestricted points. Similarly it will cost a total of about $70k.

Last edited:

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
Presidential status starts at 10K points. 7K to 9K points won't get you to Presidential status. You have 2 cheaper alernatives.
1. Buy a bundle package of weeks and points from MVC and that should come up to around $70K for 10K points. MVC will make the week(s) enrollable.

2. Buy 10K resale points at around $4 per point to seller plus $3 per point paid to MVC to bring the points into the system, i.e. unrestricted points. Similarly it will cost a total of about $70k.

Sorry I meant Executive Status (which I understand is what I need to use MVC points at the Ritz properties without having to convert to Marriot Rewards points)

So the payment of $3 per point for resale deeds then gets me full unrestricted points? Is that a one time fee? If I do it that way, am I correct that I don't get the benefits of Executive (or Presidential at 10K) status or will they treat resale points that have been converted into unrestricted as eligible?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
After paying the $3 per point plus some other small amount of $ of junk fees, the resale points will be treated as though they have been bought directly from MVC. You get the MVC status, Marriott Bonvoy status etc etc.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry I meant Executive Status (which I understand is what I need to use MVC points at the Ritz properties without having to convert to Marriot Rewards points)

So the payment of $3 per point for resale deeds then gets me full unrestricted points? Is that a one time fee? If I do it that way, am I correct that I don't get the benefits of Executive (or Presidential at 10K) status or will they treat resale points that have been converted into unrestricted as eligible?

Resale points are treated the same as direct purchased points. I have a lot of resale points, no difference.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
We have a number of Hilton Grand Vacations timeshares, but haven't been happy with the limited range of geographies in HGVC so I am looking at Marriott. I have been through a sales presentation, but have some questions better suited to this group...

Looking at the charts, we need about 5,500 - 9,000 points to pay for a typical 8-10 day summer vacation at the properties that I looked at within MVC (mostly Caribbean, 3 bedroom units). It would seem that 7,000 points would be ideal since it would get us the benefits of Presidential level.

1) At the current promotional pricing, 7,000 points would cost about 85,000, with MFs around 4K per year. We would also get another 14K promo points one time. For comparison, if we book a comparable 3 bedroom unit and pay cash (at the Ritz for example) cost would be around $12,000 per for the same time period in the same 3 bedroom unit as our 7,000 points would buy. Comparing costs we have:

Assuming that hotel / rental price increases stay roughly in line with MF increases, it would make sense to buy MV DC points if we owned for 10+ years, but less than that we are still better off paying cash each year. Agree? Am I missing anything in terms of hidden costs, difficulty of getting those nice Ritz units, etc.?

2) I am very confused on how the resale system works. I understand we would not get the benefits of Presidential status with resale (which might be important to us since some of the properties we looked at were only available to Presidential status or above). I also read in the sticky that if you purchase a resale DC deed, you have to pay each year to use the points? How does that work exactly? What is the cost to use those points that you own resale?

A lot of people, especially salespeople, use Ritz Carlton as the example for making an economic valuation of DC points, as the rack rates are often very high. However, I think you have to confirm availability of such weeks through the DC. My guess is they are even harder than regular high demand Marriott locations. I have seen some reports of off-season Ritz reservations, but would not count on being able to book these high season times, especially in to a 3BR.

You may want to ask at the sightings board for those with a lot of points to check availability for specific Ritz resorts at specific times.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I would definitely look at a bundle package of a week and points or if possible buying a week and a resale week directly from Marriott. The latter purchase would be a purchase from Aruba or St. Kitts plus a resale week. It is always worth asking Marriott to do so. When you are willing to pay for a large number of points, they are more willing to work with you. I bought the two weeks from Marriott worth over 9000 points and paid under $6 per point. Plus when you by weeks and are able to elect points, you pay less in maintenance fees per point than you do buying Destination points.

I would strongly urge you to purse one of these two options. You have plenty of leverage if you're willing to buy a large amount of points. I was offered over 4000 points at about $6 per point at a presentation last month at the NY Pulse. It was a hybrid of points and a week in Boston. Unlike resale, you get incentives with Marriott. Understand that the do negotiate and if you're looking to really buy 7000 points and they know it, then you can get the equivalent to resale or better.

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would definitely look at a bundle package of a week and points or if possible buying a week and a resale week directly from Marriott. The latter purchase would be a purchase from Aruba or St. Kitts plus a resale week. It is always worth asking Marriott to do so. When you are willing to pay for a large number of points, they are more willing to work with you. I bought the two weeks from Marriott worth over 9000 points and paid under $6 per point. Plus when you by weeks and are able to elect points, you pay less in maintenance fees per point than you do buying Destination points.

I would strongly urge you to purse one of these two options. You have plenty of leverage if you're willing to buy a large amount of points. I was offered over 4000 points at about $6 per point at a presentation last month at the NY Pulse. It was a hybrid of points and a week in Boston. Unlike resale, you get incentives with Marriott. Understand that the do negotiate and if you're looking to really buy 7000 points and they know it, then you can get the equivalent to resale or better.

Is there a separate resale department for the weeks that I should call or should I continue to talk to the Marriott sales person who I have been talking to relating to purchase of DC points?

Thanks so much to everyone for the great responses! Looking forward to joining the MVC program, it really sounds like there are some major benefits over HGVC.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a separate resale department for the weeks that I should call or should I continue to talk to the Marriott sales person who I have been talking to relating to purchase of DC points?

Thanks so much to everyone for the great responses! Looking forward to joining the MVC program, it really sounds like there are some major benefits over HGVC.
You can just tell them that you want to buy bundled week + points package - same sales people.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I'd look at buying a hybrid purchase with JUST weeks or mostly weeks and round out with points and if you're looking at around 9000, I'd like go to the 10000 level and get the additional benefits, I likely wouldn't for 7-8K points. I'd look at Aruba or St. Kitts and personally I'd go for Aruba plus 1 or 2 GOOD resale weeks that come enrolled in the Destination Club as part of the purchase. It might be difficult to get to 10K points with 2 weeks total but it's possible for the right weeks. In doing so you should come in roughly the same cost as just buying the points resale but your yearly dues could be MUCH less depending on the resort and weeks. Say a Platinum 2 BR Aruba Ocean Club plus a Platinum Ocean Pointe or desert Platinum week which could get you close to 9000 points. Dues by comparison would be in the range of $5400 on just 9000 points but more in the range of $3500 for the 2 weeks total so a savings of almost $2K/yr. The difference in dues is the big savings if you get the right weeks/pts ratio IMO. And you might get them to do 2 resale weeks plus one retail weeks if you wanted to get more points or just round out with points in increments of 250.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

If you are speaking with a sales rep at MVC resort, he will not have the same level of flexibility that they offer at corporate.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are speaking with a sales rep at MVC resort, he will not have the same level of flexibility that they offer at corporate.
At corporate level they can offer non-US weeks as part of the bundle. At local sales offices, they all can offer the US located bundled week with points.

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay, so based on feedback here I decided to push for a better deal. Interestingly, MVC seems very stuck on the current $12 / point pricing even with a larger purchase of points so I switched to asking for a week in Aruba or St Kitts. That improved things somewhat - down to $9 / point (St. Kitts) but still far from the prices I know others have received relatively recently - and Aruba pricing is stuck at $12 in line with MVC DC points (though lower maintenance).

After doing some more searching, I found a quarter share in the GRC property that will convert to 24K points per year, provided that I pay a one time $5K enrollment fee and purchase an additional 5K DC points. The GRC quarter share is a third party resale, but MVC has assured me that it will be enrollable as long as I make the DC point purchase and pay the $5K fee. Fingers crossed - this will be a larger purchase than I originally planned but the average cost per point and maintenance fees per point will be a fraction of what it would cost for points from the St Kitts purchase.. .assuming no exercise of the ROFR. Will update here once everything is closed and hopefully worked out.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Okay, so based on feedback here I decided to push for a better deal. Interestingly, MVC seems very stuck on the current $12 / point pricing even with a larger purchase of points so I switched to asking for a week in Aruba or St Kitts. That improved things somewhat - down to $9 / point (St. Kitts) but still far from the prices I know others have received relatively recently - and Aruba pricing is stuck at $12 in line with MVC DC points (though lower maintenance).

After doing some more searching, I found a quarter share in the GRC property that will convert to 24K points per year, provided that I pay a one time $5K enrollment fee and purchase an additional 5K DC points. The GRC quarter share is a third party resale, but MVC has assured me that it will be enrollable as long as I make the DC point purchase and pay the $5K fee. Fingers crossed - this will be a larger purchase than I originally planned but the average cost per point and maintenance fees per point will be a fraction of what it would cost for points from the St Kitts purchase.. .assuming no exercise of the ROFR. Will update here once everything is closed and hopefully worked out.

There are some TUGGERS her who have successfully used this strategy. Hopefully, they will chime in. How much for the GRC quarter share?

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will post all of the details including price once it clears ROFR, I don't want to jynx it just yet .. suffice to say we are paying the minimum per point that we hope will clear ROFR.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

The quartershare should be much cheaper per point but will be more total and more points. To get the price down on Aruba/St. Kitts you will have to bundle with a resale week that's enrolled then push for a great week ? Platinum at OP or the dessert or similar. For the week alone Aruba should be around $9-11 per point Platinum roughly, mine was roughly $9 on the purchase itself (3 BR Plat SC). The other offer was roughly $10 PP for OC Plat. Why don't you contact Aruba & or St. Kitts directly? You may also want to touch base with the resorts in Spain as well.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

Be sure to get all this in writing prior to spending a fortune in an effort to reach your goal..... I'm sure you have worked hard for your money!

Best of luck with this and I hope it works out.

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Dean yes the quarter share is MUCH less per point both for maintenance and purchase price, even when considering the fact that I must also buy 5,000 DC points to enroll the 24K points. Re the weeks resales, I tried. I found a fixed holiday week 3 bedroom in St Kitts that was at $9K per point. Aruba platinum best offer was $12 per point. I even looked at trying to buy 2 weeks to see if they would budge on price for the second week, but they did not budge on the pricing. They admitted that deals have gone through with bundled 2 week purchases in the upper $5 range "recently" but said that as of August they were no longer allowed to offer the bundled deals at those prices. Seems like they are really trying to push resale week prices up to be consistent with DC point prices .. but of course that could change next month or next week if they need to hit quarterly sales numbers or whatever. In any case, I went through several different agents but not one would go lower than the $9 per point on St Kitts or $12 on Aruba.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Be sure to get all this in writing prior to spending a fortune in an effort to reach your goal..... I'm sure you have worked hard for your money!

Best of luck with this and I hope it works out.
I second that motion. :crash: (kinda looked like a gavel...)

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not closing on the DC points purchase until after the ROFR is waived, and I put in the contract for GRC that I will be enrolling the weeks with MVC pursuant to the GRC enrollment program. I also confirmed the details with 2 different MVC reps, the broker (who has done the same deal this year on a similar contract), and with another board member who did the same thing (@frank808). There is some risk that MVC could decide to cancel the GRC enrollment after passing ROFR. That would be bad, but I am not sure how to protect against that. I tried to make each contract contingent on the other, but MVC would not do that. I will make sure to at least have an email from MVC confirming that the purchase of the DC points will entitle me to enroll the GRC quarter share but I think there is not much more I can do.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I am not closing on the DC points purchase until after the ROFR is waived, and I put in the contract for GRC that I will be enrolling the weeks with MVC pursuant to the GRC enrollment program. I also confirmed the details with 2 different MVC reps, the broker (who has done the same deal this year on a similar contract), and with another board member who did the same thing (@frank808). There is some risk that MVC could decide to cancel the GRC enrollment after passing ROFR. That would be bad, but I am not sure how to protect against that. I tried to make each contract contingent on the other, but MVC would not do that. I will make sure to at least have an email from MVC confirming that the purchase of the DC points will entitle me to enroll the GRC quarter share but I think there is not much more I can do.

They have offered enrollment from the first day of DC points program. Could be a risk that the offer to enroll GRC weeks are rescinded but I think the chances are very slim. This is a little different than the program that MVC has for enrolling post 2010 weeks into the DC points program that is only available at certain times. The GRC has always had the option to enroll the quartershates.

In 2020 you will get 24k points and 2021 it goes down to 22k points so there is a variance year to year. Also will you be using 27k DC points a year?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score

In 2020 you will get 24k points and 2021 it goes down to 22k points so there is a variance year to year. Also will you be using 27k DC points a year?

Probably not. I plan to rent the DC points that I don't use. However, we usually take 1 long 2 week vacation in Hawaii or the Caribbean each year in a 3 bedroom or 2 x 2 bedrooms. Since we still have school age kids, we unfortunately end up going in high season like everyone else in our predicament. So we may use all the points in some years. Originally I only wanted 7K points because that was how much I needed for 2 weeks in a 3 bedroom next year for our already planned trip to St. Thomas, but looking at Hawaii points we could easily blow through that many points depending on the time of year. Since the maintenance on these points is lower than rental rates, however, it seems like have more points than we will use is not a bad thing.

zerocylinders

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update:

We cleared ROFR on the GRC quarter share at $2 per point based on 2019 point totals (13 weeks in one unit, total MVC points varies by year ranges 23-25k MVC points for all if converted).

MVC provided an email stating that my GRC weeks would be eligible for enrollment even though I am purchasing the MVC points package before the GRC deal closes (usually, you must purchase the MVC points package after owning GRC). That gets me the September bonus point and discount promo.

In order to enroll the GRC quarter share, I will need to complete the separate purchase of 5000 MVC points from MVC, and also pay an $5000 one time fee to enroll the GRC in Bonvoy (this is separate from MVC but allows conversion into Bonvoy as well as MVC, but is required to enroll in MVC regardless as of recently).

Maintenance is .25 per point, and will average out at around 35 cents a point when averaged with our 5000 MVC points. This is the main reason we decided to take this plunge.

This will put us into Chairman's status when all is closed ~29000 MVC points! Way more than we wanted, but considering $ per point and maintenance it was too good to pass up.

MVC also reserved 4 weeks for 2020 at Frenchman's so we would be able to use at least some of our MVC points for next year.

So far I am pretty impressed at the follow through with the MVC corporate team. Everything they have said would happen has worked out exactly as promised. A much better experience versus HGVC where we had repeated experience of promises not kept (we are elite premier with HGVC so I have had a few experiences there to compare). Any questions feel free to ask!

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
One other strategy you can use is to say no for now and ask them for an encore package . It is generally a good cash deal to take a shorter vacation , perhaps 4 nights somewhere in the system with the understanding that you agree to sit through another 90 minute presentation . When you buy at that one, they can credit you, your encore cost and generally hold the price that you were offered at your first presentation . So, you get your deal and a greatly subsidized 4 night vacation at your choice of many Marriott Vacation Club destinations, when you consider they they will credit you, the outlay you have for the 4 night Encore stay.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Zerocylinder, I am wondering what the cost per trust point with the Sept discounts came out to? I paid around $11.48 per point with the discount for buying 5k trust points. Did not get any free bonus points with my purchase. I did get offered the 5k free points if I would finance for 18 months. I wanted to pay it all down except for a very small amount to finance for 18 months to get the bonus points. Was told I had to adhere to the payment schedule and not pay a penny more. So that math did not work out to finance.

Congratulations with hitting your goals of trust point purchase and doing it painlessly. With all those HGVC points you can make it a nice long vacation in Hawaii with this MVC purchase.