• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why is Lagunamar gold season expensive (relatively)?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am helping a friend who is interested in buying a 2bd platinum season (only platinum) at Lagunamar. While searching the listings with him I could not help but notice that virtually no GOLD season is for free. Why are they listed hundreds of dollars of more? Even the couple of Ebay listings are not for free which I did not expect.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Gold season is long and actually includes some good weeks.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably because January is part of golf season and it’s still a popular time to go to Mexico

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Gold season has the first few weeks of January, which some snow birds probably prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also there are some Mexican holiday weeks that happen in gold season. I think in Oct or Nov. I’m sure others who are more familiar with Mexican holidays can chime in.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know that there are some very good weeks in the gold season however it is very cheap to use StarOptions for those. SVV Bella 2 bdr platinum season makes more sense to me to use for WLR gold

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
Some people like to own where they are go. Even though it’s fairly easy to make a 8 mo reservation there, it assures a 12 month and some people want that insurance plus the MF are cheap
It’s not like it’s going for thousands, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Gold season was free or pretty close to it a couple years ago. Just like SVV Bella and Key West could be had a couple years ago for $500.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Just got a studio using an AC from II
299.00 exchange is cheaper than using 37 k star options

First time I got to actually use an AC

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
is it me or there are also less bargain deals on Ebay for Vistana resorts?

I compared gold season WLR vs SVV Bella and using SO because, at least for the time being, one can book in VSN with no problems pretty much any week of the year. Conversely, an AC is not something you can plan with AND you typically get the slowest week possible, if any. With that being said, last year we did travel to Lagunamar late October and we had a fabulous time.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I’ve noticed that most Westin/Sheraton TS aren’t dumpster fire sales anymore. Especially Annuals

Last edited:

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
I also think the reputation of the resort is finally getting around. Plus, the weather is Cancun is pretty much predictable year round. Sunny and not too hot, or sunny and hot. For us northerners, the words "sunny and hot" are very much desired especially in the late fall/winter/early spring.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
In addition to January being in relatively high demand by snow birds, mid-April (after Spring Break) to late May is one of the very best times of the year to vacation in Cancun weather wise. The Nov and Dec weeks can also be nice.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
The trend may be going up for Gold Season, (I passed on a free week a couple of years back in favor of SVV for the flexibility) but Platinum season is definitely on the way down, a 2BD annual just listed for $4650 on Redweek. Approx 40% down from when I 1st purchased.

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House

We are here in a studio for $299 this week using the AC. The resort appears to be about 30% occupied. This is our first time here it is a lovely resort.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been during prime weeks and even when fully occupied the resort does not feel crowded because the pools are huge and because there are many chairs, umbrellas etc and there is also ample space on the wide beach. November-May and the summer vacation weeks are busy; September for sure is a slow month but I doubt that it is really at 30% capacity. Enjoy your stay!

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
.......While searching the listings with him I could not help but notice that virtually no GOLD season is for free. Why are they listed hundreds of dollars of more? Even the couple of Ebay listings are not for free which I did not expect.

It is also a non AI in a market where many resorts are AI only.

The Royals in Cancun ( Sands etc ) are optional AI for owners and those are fixed weeks that re-sell for significant dollars .

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
We have met many lovely people in the restaurants,pools and on excursions over the years at Lagunamar. Inventively we run into somebody a couple of times each trip that is either staying at an AI and come to Lagunamar to eat because the food at their AI is not good, or have stayed at one of the AI and not had a good food experience. We love the kitchens as my son has many food allergies and the grocery situation in Cancun is actually very good now compared to years ago.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Where is the best place to get groceries. Can you walk or take cab ?
I agree with the mediocre food at most AI resorts

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
there is a large grocery store, Soriana, about 5-7 minutes walk from Lagunamar (to the South). Depending on how much we buy we either take a bus back to the resort (under $1 pp) or we pay for the delivery (about $7-8) and we walk back. I think a cab should also be under $10.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
there is a large grocery store, Soriana, about 5-7 minutes walk from Lagunamar (to the South). Depending on how much we buy we either take a bus back to the resort (under $1 pp) or we pay for the delivery (about $7-8) and we walk back. I think a cab should also be under $10.
Delivery is only 30$ Peso when we were there in January. So only about $2. Though once you tip, you should be at the $7-8. I usually walk down and back and then wait at lower elevator for the delivery person to arrive.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to get groceries. Can you walk or take cab ?
I agree with the mediocre food at most AI resorts
you can also take the bus to "selecto chedraui?" which is the opposite direction just past the clubs, but is bigger and has a better selection than Soriana

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We usually make our transfer from the airport stop at Costco on the way to the hotel. We usually stay 10 or 12 days so we need a lot of food for 4 people, lol. I find Costco has the best meat selection and they have bacon that my family wants every morning for breakfast. We love to grill out at Lagunamar! Their grills are always clean and in good working order.

We supplement as needed during our stay from Soriana down the street in the mall and a couple of times we have taken the bus to Selecto. Selecto has a better selection and a bit higher prices but we have always been happy with what we have found at Soriana. At Selecto you also have to run the gauntlet of people pushing free/reduced tours for taking a timeshare tour and we don't like that. I always pack a selection of dried spices and herbs to take with me to Lagunamar as it is hard to find what I want in the grocery stores.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I guess I walk slower. It's more like 12 minutes portal-to-portal for me...longer for my wife.

HeidingOut

TUG Member
Reaction score
We prefer selecto chedraui. Huge selection much like a US grocery store. Take the bus. Bring your suitcase or take a cab back for $10.

Remember that the delivery for Soriana ends at 4 PM. I mean you have to order delivery before 4 PM. Or, at least that was the case last summer. Soriana is good for stuff we run out of, but we cook a good deal while we are there and Soriana just doesn't have the selection of Chedraui in my opinion. Plus, it was really like 3:45 PM when they told us last year they wouldn't deliver our groceries back to us. So, it can be inconsistent.

There's also some Gold/Platinum units on Ebay for bargains for those of you interested. Trust me it's tempting. I would spend the whole month at Lagunamar....LOL.