• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Downton Abbey movie

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
We saw it tonight and it is magnificent! If you're a fan of the tv show, you must see it. It's so much fun to see all those great characters again.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We’re going Saturday night. Looking forward to seeing it.

Everyone: No Spoilers, Please!!

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We’ll wait till it calms down a bit. We were at Highclere a year ago in September for the last week that they were going to be open for tours, as the cast and crew were coming back the following week to film some final shots. The property is amazing. Those trees! To be inside the house felt a little surreal.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We saw it a week ago, special super fan sneak preview at AMC.

Get there early, there is a short review of all the main characters and what happened on the TV series before the movie starts. It really helped because it moves at a rapid pace, never a lull in the action. High marks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Got our tix for Sat. night. Looking bigly forward to it! We are not generally movie buffs, but we ARE Downton Abbey fans.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We saw it a week ago, special super fan sneak preview at AMC.

Get there early, there is a short review of all the main characters and what happened on the TV series before the movie starts. It really helped because it moves at a rapid pace, never a lull in the action. High marks!

So do you think that someone who didn't watch the TV show will enjoy the movie? Both DD2 and I loved the show. DD1 never watched but is thinking about going to see it with us. She is worried that she may not enjoy it since she missed the TV show. I assume that you don't need the background to enjoy the movie. Would you agree?

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I assume that you don't need the background to enjoy the movie. Would you agree?
The movie is visually stunning with the period costumes, landscape, and beautiful buildings. There is a story and a plot, but if one isn't familiar with all the characters I don't believe they'll enjoy it as much as someone who is and they probably won't know why the characters act the way they do. But, I'm sure you and your daughters would enjoy the time together anyway.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
The movie is visually stunning with the period costumes, landscape, and beautiful buildings. There is a story and a plot, but if one isn't familiar with all the characters I don't believe they'll enjoy it as much as someone who is and they probably won't know why the characters act the way they do. But, I'm sure you and your daughters would enjoy the time together anyway.
Thanks Karen. Maybe I should tell her to binge watch first ;) . I'll let her make the call.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We haven't been to a movie in a theater for twenty years (Six Days Seven Nights; had to clear out so our realtor could have an open house). I'll see Downton Abbey next year as a freebie movie rental at one of our Worldmark stays -- looking forward to it!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
So do you think that someone who didn't watch the TV show will enjoy the movie? Both DD2 and I loved the show. DD1 never watched but is thinking about going to see it with us. She is worried that she may not enjoy it since she missed the TV show. I assume that you don't need the background to enjoy the movie. Would you agree?

If she’s a quick study this recap will set the stage for the movie. After watching the movie she may want to binge on the series.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We saw it tonight and it is magnificent! If you're a fan of the tv show, you must see it. It's so much fun to see all those great characters again.

I so want to see it but right now with moving I don't have the time. Hopefully it will come on TV soon after!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks Karen. Maybe I should tell her to binge watch first ;) . I'll let her make the call.

Yeah, binge watching six seasons (52 episodes) plus a Christmas special - should keep her busy for a few days. She'll be saying things like "I'm going up," asking what time is High Tea, and speaking with a British accent when she's done. :D

Dave

P.S. Went to the movie theater today and got tickets for a showing tomorrow evening. They're doing reserved seats - first time I've seen that at our local theater. They're obviously expecting a LOT of Sold Out shows!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Downton Abbey recap above is really good for a very brief outline of the show.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I actually was a late to the party watcher of the TV show and binged it after it was all over.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The Downton Abbey recap above is really good for a very brief outline of the show.

Taken in brief context like that, the Recap video makes the whole Downton series sound like a crazy soap opera. About the only thing missing would be "guest starring Susan Lucci as Erica Kane"... :) But I suppose it kind of IS, now that I think of it. To compress several years of storylines into a few minutes of video is rather amusing.

Looking forward to seeing the movie this evening. We're making it a date night - dinner AND a movie, but I refuse to "dress" for dinner, and apparently, I'm also the chauffeur... ;)

Dave

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope to see it a week from Tuesday. Hope it is still in the theater. That's matinee day!

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Downton Abbey is one of my favourite TV series. I loved every episode, and was sad when it was over. I am looking forward to seeing the movie.

Dori

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, that was $20 I'm glad I spent. We made it a date night with a sit-down dinner that I didn't cook and someone else cleaned up after- and they didn't even have to ask, "Do ya want fries with that?" Then the movie was prretty good too. Theater was not half full, but you could tell that most everyone were fans from the banter going on during the coming attractions and Please Turn Off Your Cell Phone announcements. There was a round of applause after the movie and during the credits rolling.

We liked it.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We just saw it too. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Definitely laid groundwork for another movie to come. This is a well-done series that translates well to the big screen.

Dave

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Just saw the movie yesterday, and enjoyed it too.
The dresses were gorgeous.
I had to look it up; it was the current Queen Elizabeth's grandparents who were the king & queen depicted in the movie.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
My wife watched the series a few years ago on Netflix. When we started seeing previews for the movie she said I had to also watch the series so we could then go to the movie. I ended up binge watching it over about a five week period on Amazon Prime. Finished the last episode the night before we saw the movie in the theater. We could have gone to the sneak preview at our AMC also, but it was a special event and not covered by our AMC A-List, so we had to wait a little longer to see it with the rest of the masses plus I hadn't seen all the episodes yet.

We both thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Who knows, we may even go see it a second time.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw DA on the weekend....predictable but satisfying and entertaining. But the feature 'coming soon' before Downton played was 'Joker'.....what a contrast. Opposite ends of the spectrum!