• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Finishing a Walk out basement, any advice?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I am looking at finishing the basement on our new place. For those of you that have done it any advice? Anything you wish you did that you didn’t? Anything you did that now you say it wasn’t really necessary?

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Make sure you have access to upstairs water pipes (at least where drains are located) before dry walling. Insulate the walls (we live in Vermont). Make stairs user friendly we went with 12" deep stairs. We had a concrete floor, we decided to tile on top of it. If you are planning any bathrooms make sure you can drain out. We built up the bathroom floors by 10 inches.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We've finished 2 basements, both >2,000 sq.ft., one was a walkout.

Not sure of the climate where you live, but the number one thing we did in both that was the absolutely best idea was putting in a dedicated HVAC system for the basement (separate furnace and A/C). All too often the basement is cold vs. the upstairs, and this solves the problem perfectly, and when we have parties, it can keep the place from overheating with all the people. And we also zoned those systems (very similar rooms in both houses) so we had 3 zones for the basement: family room, 2 bedrooms, and home theater. With zoning, we only need to heat/cool the rooms we are in, and it keeps each area at the perfect comfort level. It is also very nice to, for example, heat up just the theater room in about 10 minutes when we want to watch a movie at night in the winter.

The one thing I wish we would have done differently is to not include a tub/shower in the bathroom(s) -- I wish I would have just gone with a nice shower. Tubs are mostly for little kids, and generally you wouldn't have your little kids in the basement bedrooms, so no need for tubs.

I don't like cold, hard floors, so we had good carpet with high-quality padding for the living areas of the basement which makes it very comfy to walk around w/ socks. We had tile for bar, bathrooms, etc.

In our current house, we put in a great, good-sized bar which we really like. It has been great for parties and entertaining. The only thing I would have done different is add the ability to integrate a flat-screen TV to give it more of a sports bar feel. We included an apartment-sized dishwasher (18" wide vs. the standard 24") so we don't have to lug glasses and dishes up and down the stairs to clean. Under counter fridge and separate wine cooler round out the bar.

Kurt

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question before I answer.....what do you envision using the space for?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We are going to have a walk out basement also in our new home. One thing we definitely are going to do is seal up the ceiling because the insulation is exposed and not good for breathing. And in NH definitely being tested for radon. We will also get a dehumidifier. I hate basements honestly (always water and dampness issues) but that is what we will have and hubby likes the idea.

I think my husband will probably put down a sealant for the floor and also for the garage floor. We will also put a couple of old area rugs on the floor.

Because this little house costs so much money (at least for us) we do not intend to finish it off, though it would be nice. We will just get a dehumidifier and my husband will have his workbench down there. I will also have my exercise equipment down there which I am concerned about in terms of how it will be to use the equipment with no heat.

We will use it for mainly storage.

The builder put in 2 nice big windows with grilles and will be putting in a door with a window as well for natural light. Lots of people in the development are finishing their basements and making a couple of rooms and even another bathroom down there.

We do not intend to entertain as we don't know anyone anyway and have no family there except our one son. We figure if we want to entertain we can use the clubhouse we pay for with our HOA dues. We also do not intend to build a patio or anything in the back. I know- we are a bit weird like that but we know from our life here we never use our huge deck or even our screened in porch- rare or the once a year friends reunion. We also do not barbecue.

But we have a front porch to sit out on. Trying to keep it simple and truly downsized.

Oh- another thing I do not like about the basement is that we could be upstairs and if someone tried to break in down there we would not hear it so we have to get a security system.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our basement is a finished daylight basement with three walls underground and one wall at grade. One thing I would do differently is to sound proof the basement ceiling. The basement ceiling is over 9 ft high so I had plenty of room to install insulation and sound barriers.

All of the flooring has been changed out so I think I would go nice tile off the get go instead of carpet. I did change the stairs to oak which looks nicer but is louder.

Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have wired cable, speakers, and internet as everything is wireless. I wouldn't add the whole house vacuum cleaner at this time either.

Bill

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Not sure of the climate where you live, but the number one thing we did in both that was the absolutely best idea was putting in a dedicated HVAC system for the basement (separate furnace and A/C). All too often the basement is cold vs. the upstairs, and this solves the problem perfectly, and when we have parties, it can keep the place from overheating with all the people. And we also zoned those systems (very similar rooms in both houses) so we had 3 zones for the basement: family room, 2 bedrooms, and home theater. With zoning, we only need to heat/cool the rooms we are in, and it keeps each area at the perfect comfort level. It is also very nice to, for example, heat up just the theater room in about 10 minutes when we want to watch a movie at night in the winter.

The one thing I wish we would have done differently is to not include a tub/shower in the bathroom(s) -- I wish I would have just gone with a nice shower. Tubs are mostly for little kids, and generally you wouldn't have your little kids in the basement bedrooms, so no need for tubs.

I don't like cold, hard floors, so we had good carpet with high-quality padding for the living areas of the basement which makes it very comfy to walk around w/ socks. We had tile for bar, bathrooms, etc.

In our current house, we put in a great, good-sized bar which we really like. It has been great for parties and entertaining. The only thing I would have done different is add the ability to integrate a flat-screen TV to give it more of a sports bar feel. We included an apartment-sized dishwasher (18" wide vs. the standard 24") so we don't have to lug glasses and dishes up and down the stairs to clean. Under counter fridge and separate wine cooler round out the bar.

Kurt
Different zones in the basement I didn’t think about. Definitely will do. Thanks.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Question before I answer.....what do you envision using the space for?

Hang out room, extended entertainment space to back yard, gym, work shop and storage.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Make sure you have access to upstairs water pipes (at least where drains are located) before dry walling. Insulate the walls (we live in Vermont). Make stairs user friendly we went with 12" deep stairs. We had a concrete floor, we decided to tile on top of it. If you are planning any bathrooms make sure you can drain out. We built up the bathroom floors by 10 inches.
Access to upstairs water pipes, didn’t think of that, will do. Thanks.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Friends of ours finished their basement. House is about 80 years old. They were able to install a simple pumping system that pumps water and sewage up to join main system.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mpumilla I believe you mean a dehumidifier

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Our basement walkout is just a regular door, not a sliding patio type door. We built a vestibule inside instead of the door just opening into the finished area. Since the entrance door faces north that really cuts down on the amount of cold air entering the living space as the outside door gets closed before the inside/vestibule door gets opened. We also waited a few years after the house was built to do anything to make sure no cracks formed in the foundation -they did, and were fixed by the builder. Our DS installed heated floors in the bathroom when he finished his basement and never regretted it.

~Diane

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mpumilla I believe you mean a dehumidifier

Oops! yes. Thanks! You can tell I have no experience with basements. We have always been on a slab. Ist house- just a crawlspace and even with that we had to put a sump pump under there.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our basement walkout is just a regular door, not a sliding patio type door. We built a vestibule inside instead of the door just opening into the finished area. Since the entrance door faces north that really cuts down on the amount of cold air entering the living space as the outside door gets closed before the inside/vestibule door gets opened. We also waited a few years after the house was built to do anything to make sure no cracks formed in the foundation -they did, and were fixed by the builder. Our DS installed heated floors in the bathroom when he finished his basement and never regretted it.

~Diane

That is amazing that after a few years the builder would take care of the cracks. That is unheard of with builders from what I understand. They don't want to be responsible for anything- not even the punch list.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
That is amazing that after a few years the builder would take care of the cracks. That is unheard of with builders from what I understand. They don't want to be responsible for anything- not even the punch list.

We are in Ontario Canada and we have Tarion, a government agency which oversees builders, makes sure homes are built to spec and any warranty problems are fixed in a timely manor. They also set the timeframe for warranty claims, our basement was covered for 2 years. Tarion acts as the go-between for builders and homeowners after homes are built and occupied when there are any claims. They have extensive checklists to be filled out upon possession of the home and after 1 year. If a builder continually has complaints Tarion can have the builders license suspended.

~Diane

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC

Kurt

I agree

One of our houses had 3 separate furnaces and every room had its own dedicated thermostat

Each area in the home was at the perfect temp rather than one hot. One cold type scenario

If building new. And not yet built I would do in floor heat. No air blowing or dust moving around plus an even heat in winter

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Access to upstairs water pipes, didn’t think of that, will do. Thanks.

This might depend on your location

All of my plumbing is in my attic and is plastic
should I ever have a leak it’s pretty simple to cut that line and drop a new one in the wall

I would also put in the largest windows you can
It’ll make the lower level more user friendly and inviting

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I live in Florida... What's a basement? <rhetorical>

From what I've seen on HGVC...

Make sure the exterior walls are waterproofed and
outside, that water is properly drained away.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I agree

One of our houses had 3 separate furnaces and every room had its own dedicated thermostat

Each area in the home was at the perfect temp rather than one hot. One cold type scenario

If building new. And not yet built I would do in floor heat. No air blowing or dust moving around plus an even heat in winter

Good idea - but You need to have a lot of room to have 2-3 furnaces in the basement and it will cost more to maintain 2-3. I can’t imagine having to worry about 3 furnaces upkeep and replacement. Radiant flooring is a good option also.our first house had electric heat- expensive- but at least it had a thermostat in every room and it was a ranch with no basement which is why electric heat was installed. Plus it was originally built just a summer house.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Another thing and maybe it’s the norm nowadays
But just before we moved from MN south we installed a 3 stage furnace in our last home
Again. Maybe that’s the only choice now?

But it had 3 separate burner levels
Low. Medium and High and several fan speeds all ran automatically

The furnace was always on.
The furnace would kick the burners and fans on high until the home got to your temperature

Then it would back down to the lowest burner and fan speed therefore maintaining the temp with out that constant heat in high and off scenario you get with a furnace where you would get that sudden burst of air

If a door was opened then it would move up to stage 2 or 3 depending on how much heat escaped

Hope that makes sense??

But is was very efficient as well

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We have finished 2 walk out basements and agree with several recommendations above. We live in Minnesota in an area with clay soil so having drain tile and a sump pump are essentials here. One thing we should have done differently given the soil is put a better dampness coating on the floor before our carpet. It doesn’t leak but I suspect there are a couple areas, such as where we put a plastic mat under our sliding office chair where some dampness sat because it couldn't evaporate out and cause a musty smell in that area.

Things we did that we liked: zoned heat to manage temp differences between upper floors and basement; extra insulation for sound between floors (wonderful when our teens entertained friends); no bedrooms (because we have 4 on upper floor); shower only in the bathroom; bi-fold closet doors along one end of an area that opened to lots of shelves for games and other supplies; a wet bar with a full size refrigerator with an ice maker (great for when we entertain); 2 rooms left unfinished, one for furnace etc., but with large laundry tub we use for dog baths, and one for our freezer and lots of storage shelves. Amazing how much storage those two areas give us for luggage, extra food, a wine cooler, etc.

Things we wouldn't do again: built ins to surround tv and store DVDs...no longer the right size for the big wall mounted TVs; built in desk in another area for computer—we have an office upstairs and no longer need 2 desktop computers. (In general, built ins except for the bar and adjoining cupboards seem to get out dated fast.). Pool table with built in cue holder—just didn't use it enough. A nice game table would have been better. Also, no longer need the great wired in speakers in the ceiling...we like our Sonus wireless we have upstairs a lot.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Learn from my bitter experience and don't forget to leave access to the water shut-offs for the outside faucets! (Nothing has happened YET, but every winter I worry a lot.)

True

I think new homes have a drain stop or something that lets the last little bit of water drain out the outside water connections
That way the pipe that could freeze is part way back inside the home

Not 100% on that if it’s standard. But we had something like that on one house. You’d shit it off and it would drain about a cup of water even after it was closed

Winter time we would shut the water off to the outside and then open all the taps

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Figure out exactly where you want to put furniture, TVs, pool/ping pong tables, etc. Make sure wiring and cable are in the right places. Same with overhead lighting. If you are putting in a wet bar or space for a mini fridge check actual widths/depths of appliances ahead of time. I would not put carpet in if you are okay with laminate and area rugs. Have the contractor build out your storage space or do it yourself. Do that space when you are framing the walls and not after the rest of it is done. Consider french doors to the storage space in case you have larger items to put in it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Figure out exactly where you want to put furniture, TVs, pool/ping pong tables, etc. Make sure wiring and cable are in the right places. Same with overhead lighting. If you are putting in a wet bar or space for a mini fridge check actual widths/depths of appliances ahead of time. I would not put carpet in if you are okay with laminate and area rugs. Have the contractor build out your storage space or do it yourself. Do that space when you are framing the walls and not after the rest of it is done. Consider french doors to the storage space in case you have larger items to put in it.
Double doors to storage space is another good idea I didn’t think about. Thanks