• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott, Int'l BONVOY Changes Effective 9/14/19 [Merged]

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
[
I believe it has been reported that since the travel packages are category based, not point based, they will not be affected by peak/off peak pricing, which will help to mitigate the continued devaluation if used during a peak pricing windows.

That's good to know, if true. I'm just hoping that (if it is true) it doesn't turn out to be a loophole that Marriott comes to recognize and close. I'm all for keeping it strictly category based.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
In the old SPG system I remember being able to get rooms with a standard rate of points even though the cash prices were on a scale of peak and non-peak pricing. Hopefully the new blended system does this.

So from what I'm reading it would probably be a good time to pick a location for a reservation and book it before 9/14, just to be safe?

I'm thinking of a multi-week trip combining the Hilton points (different thread) with Bonvoy. Hawaii maybe. I just have no idea what dates or what island.

Couldn't hurt to set something up (as long as you can figure out a tentative travel window/location) even if you end up canceling later.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

Mr. Vker

Reaction score

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked my 3 reservations which are all for 5 nights. One Cat 5, 2 Cat 1-4. This afternoon the requirement for the Cat 5 changed from 140K to 150K points. The requirement for the 2 Cat 1-4 was 100K, and it changed to 120K this afternoon. Not thrilled.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I just booked 2 nights at the RC Kapalua on Maui (forgot to book it yesterday as intended). Was standard award rate for Cat 7 (60k). Perhaps this was booked far enough in advance that peak pricing did not hit.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I checked my 3 reservations which are all for 5 nights. One Cat 5, 2 Cat 1-4. This afternoon the requirement for the Cat 5 changed from 140K to 150K points. The requirement for the 2 Cat 1-4 was 100K, and it changed to 120K this afternoon. Not thrilled.

Were they Points Advance reservations or did you have enough points when booked?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Were they Points Advance reservations or did you have enough points when booked?
I have travel package certificates attached to these but I still see online as needing to deduct points for these reservations. Marriott Bonvoy agents assured me that all is well.

I am not thrilled that peak period is another excuse for devaluation of Bonvoy points.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I checked all of the award reservations I have in the next 11 months. Most are for single night stays in off season in non-prime areas. The Residence Inn in Flagstaff in March is now peak rate=60k points. My reservation is 50k, but I also reserved an HGI in the area for $135 per night. All of the others remained at the standard rate, even though many of them should be low season in low demand hotels. I didn't see any off peak rates. This is just another way for Marriott to increase point requirements without changing basic category requirements. It is obvious that peak awards aren't counterbalanced by off peak at most properties. In my search for multiple dates at some properties, I only found peak and standard.

I'm glad that our DC points actually have to have low season rates to counter balance premium.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I can’t believe my eyes this morning when I just checked my reservation next year for my Oahu trip. Instead of 35000 pts per night, now it is asking 40000 and will automatically deduct from my account, which I have no idea what is going on. My reservation was made weeks before the 9/14 change. I have to pay 2 nights at peak price after the change even the reservation was before the change. I made reservation when it was 35000, I feel like I’m being Bonvoyed again.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Delete

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I can’t believe my eyes this morning when I just checked my reservation next year for my Oahu trip. Instead of 35000 pts per night, now it is asking 40000 and will automatically deduct from my account, which I have no idea what is going on. My reservation was made weeks before the 9/14 change. I have to pay 2 nights at peak price after the change even the reservation was before the change. I made reservation when it was 35000, I feel like I’m being Bonvoyed again.
Did you have the points deducted from your account at the time the reservation was made? Or did you just make the reservation and planned to have the points deducted later? If the latter, I read before the change that as of September 14 you cannot lock in the number of points with a reservation unless you also have the points deducted. If the points were already deducted, then it is fully paid for and no more points are owed.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
Did you have the points deducted from your account at the time the reservation was made? Or did you just make the reservation and planned to have the points deducted later? If the latter, I read before the change that as of September 14 you cannot lock in the number of points with a reservation unless you also have the points deducted. If the points were already deducted, then it is fully paid for and no more points are owed.

Yes I had enough pts when I reserved long ago. Now I see all the pts still in my account, not sure these points were returned after 9/14 or never deducted. It’s so weird and probably just another Bonvoyed story.