• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TUG and TSs are saving my marriage

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
DOC if you go by word length....

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
TUG and the timeshares have been very good for both of us. I didn't go back to work after moving to Florida in 2011 and my husband's job allowed us to use the timeshares quite a bit even before he retired. He retired last year at 68.5, later than most people do. Being able to get away as much as we did made it very easy for him to keep working. If we had to spend what hotels and most of our meals out cost we wouldn't have gone a fraction of what we have in the last 17 years.

From late 2013 to 2017, a period of almost 4 years, we lost a dog and two cats to old age health issues. I joked that I was running a pet nursing home but it wasn't the least bit funny to live it. I needed the break being able to get away with the timeshares gave me. Being over 60 it hit too close to home seeing beloved pets each one of whom had been a part of our lives for 16 years going through what I knew was in our not as distant as it used to be future. It wasn't that I dwelt on what the future held for us it was more that I hadn't previously ever really thought about it. Then it was in my face all too real pretty much all the time. And on top of that when the pain of the loss of one was passing it wasn't long before the passing of another one was looming. I was fortunate that my husband didn't mind me taking off by myself for a break when each one got to the point that they required daily medications and I wasn't willing to leave them even with our pet sitter staying at the house. It gave me a break before it got to the point that I wouldn't consider leaving. The last one to go was the hardest and the quickest. "Only" five months of our pet nursing home care that time. Each time the vet would say that they were surviving longer than he ever expected because of the care we gave them. And each time I was the one the vet instructed on what to watch for to know when it was time to call him and I would stay with them when we took them in that final time. The last one was the hardest because he was always my baby and it was hard to see him miss our dog and cat when they were gone. Plus I said no more pets when the last one went because we wanted to be able to go a lot once my husband retired. Everyone, and I mean everyone, who knows me well scoffed at me every single time I said it but I've stuck to it.

On to happier things.

My husband was talking to his brother the other day and said we would only be home for 3 nights this time before we left again. Between July 18th to November 3rd there will only be 23 nights out of 106 at home. His brother asked why we even had a house. I'm still smiling every time I think about that remark. Some people would be completely happy all their lives if they never went more than 50 miles from where they were born. I'm not one of them. I've said for years that I was born to be a nomad, going from place to place and coming back to those places from time to time. Well, as long as I can do it in comfort and with the timeshares I can. In the future we would both prefer to stay longer in once place than we have this time but for the most part very little of these months was planned. Things just evolved along the way and we are adventurous enough to go with the flow. For a number of years my husband traveled a fair amount for his job. His idea of fun was not staying in hotels and eating all the meals out. Having the timeshares has been ideal for us and a real blessing because he thoroughly enjoys staying in the timeshares and I thoroughly enjoy being able to go a lot. We've met too many couples who aren't well matched when it comes to traveling. One feels stifled because they don't go more or in some cases even at all and the other doesn't want to go anymore than they already do or even go at all. No matter what they do neither one is happy. It makes both of us truly grateful to have found something that works so well for us.

From going to the owners meetings and the TUG get togethers in Orlando, I and now since he's retired my husband have met some of you. Sometimes he still asks when I mention someone because of something they've said in a post if it's someone I've met, if he's met them, are they one of the "TUG people" I talk to in pm's or someone whose posts I've read to him before?

Last year when we were staying at Bonnet Creek someone from TUG that I had exchanged pm's with was staying there too, had food left and asked if we wanted it. Since we had another couple with us and had 4 more days left I said sure. She and her kids brought the food to us. We proceeded to chat while her sons helped my husband by passing him the stuff that needed put in the refrigerator. When they left I mentioned how pleased I was to actually meet her. Our friends were floored as to them it sure didn't sound like we were meeting for the first time. Since then a friendship has developed and we get together at resorts when we can. Our older granddaughter got to spend time with her kids the previous summer and was excited to see them again this summer. She and her husband will be joining us for a few nights at Glacier Canyon and Sundara this week. When they leave another TUG friend will be joining us. I met Becky at the first TUG get together I went to in Orlando. We've gotten together at the resorts several times now. Sometimes we each have our own unit and sometimes we've shared the same unit.

When we stayed at Glacier Canyon last year with our DIL and two granddaughters we had two extra wristbands. So I posted on TUG and Pat came to get them. We got to visit for a bit twice that week. Our DIL was a little perplexed that this complete stranger and her two grandsons showed up at our door, were invited in and we chatted like we were acquainted with each other because of what we knew of each other from our posts on TUG. This summer I offered them again and arranged with Pat to pick them up. Our son was with us this time and I told him that someone would be coming to get them when my husband and I weren't going to be there. When Pat came to the unit our DIL remembered her from last year. I hadn't told him that it was Pat from last year who was coming for them so it was his turn to be surprised when his wife recognized her. Our son hasn't been quite sure what to make of all of this and I teased him about being the last one in the family to encounter a real, live Tugger. One time he asked if someone from TUG we were talking about was a real person. What he meant was were they someone I or we had actually met. I knew that but of course I had to tease him about suggesting I had made up these imaginary people.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have had that experience also- when we have met Tuggers in person while away. I would be like- "So and so is going to stop by" - or- "I am going to meet up with so and so". My husband and son would be like- "who is that?" LOL!

Same with some Facebook "friends".

dsexton

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Beach Quarters, RiverPointe, Westin Lagunamar, Sea Scape Beach and Golf Villas
I admit that much of the info about travel and other topics that I share with others originates with TUG. I'd appear much less savvy about life without all you experts sharing what you know or links to informative articles!

DITTO !!!

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Our TS fostered extended family vacations. 20 years ago, we used to bring the RCI book ("wish book") on our extended family trip and pick out our trip for the next year. We vacationed with my parents at least 1X/year. If not for a TS, we would have likely only popped in for a brief visit. We went to Marco Island and my Dad loved it so much, he always talked about going back. We spent a week in Orlando at Easter with my parents a few months before my Dad suddenly passed. I'll always be grateful for that time. After a great trade for Marco was spotted on TUG, we took my Mom and relived fond memories of Dad--I'm sure he would've loved the fishing boat we chartered where we caught WAY over our limit of fish!
Our kids grew up going to a TS cabin on the lake that I bought off ebay. They all caught their 1st fish there.
Yes, we could've rented all of these places--but, in reality, we would not have done that.
And, TUG has been such a nice place to converse during Covid--a little support group! I have my :coffee: each am with you guys! Elaine

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for you guys!
I agree with you that timesharing does add a lot of enjoyment to life in that it allows being together as a family,
and it's surprising how many wonderful activities revolve around those timeshare stays.

TUG makes timesharing more proficient----Thank You, TUG!
And timesharing then provides the impetus and OPPORTUNITY for a family to learn about each other as individuals,
and to grow in love and respect for one another.
It fosters bonding which cannot easily be experienced elsewhere, so yes it can save a marriage, a family,
or even just one member.
And I don't necessarily espouse the old adage that "all you need is QUALITY time"---it's important obviously,
but I firmly believe you also need QUANTITY time.
As a family we say, "Welcome timeshares, welcome TUG".

Even though our 21 years of timesharing as a family unit has waned because our children are grown and on their own
(now having their own schedules which are seemingly
diametrically opposed to ours), we still use ownership in valuable ways.
We have get-togethers when we can, or we use some weeks as a couple and give the other weeks
to the children....whatever.....
but I'm happy to say ownership is still fluid and flexible enough and works very well.
And you can bet our children are excited when they get to make trips as their own family unit.
Timesharing can be molded into whatever you want it to be.

In addition to TUG being the invisible classroom teacher which elevates the timeshare experience,
TUG can be even more contributory if one meets and interacts with other TUG members along the journey.
We've literally met dozens, and deep friendships emerged and have endured.

We readily acknowledge that our lives have been enriched from meeting and communicating with many
TUG members, and we continue to visit with several regularly.
We know their families and get to watch their children and grandchildren grow up. It's wonderful.

We've spent time with many TUG members in previous years, more last year, and again this year-------
and we plan on meeting more for visits in Nov and Dec and again in Jan and Feb.
These have evolved into genuine friendships, where we care about each other a lot.

Not sure what I'd do without the valuable resource that TUG provides, and I feel equally about the benefits
of the personal side it allows via the BBS and PM conversations. Long live TUG.
Beautifully said. I agree whole heartedly. I was away for a bit and now I check in every day to see what's up.Ive shared a few PMs and contacts which have been a nice surprise.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
My husband was the one who got us started in timesharing. He had a busy work schedule in our early years of marriage and he hardly ever took vacations. I saw an ad for a weekend getaway in Vermont for $9.00.
We went not knowing what to expect, turned out to be our first Timeshare. He said it would force him to take at least one week of vacation a year. For at least ten years this was our only timeshare, Then, I got the resale bug after finding TUG. Bought Dikhololo week, then Orange Lake, then many others all resale. Have used the exchange companies RCI, II, TP, DAE, and TUG Marketplace. Also bought a week in Virginia from Sumday vacations.
The best thing about our timeshares is the variety of vacations we have taken and places we might not have gone if not for the timeshares. It’s mostly just us two that go now, but our son and daughter grew up traveling to timeshares with us.
We are down to 3 timeshares and that’s ok, we are still traveling and making the most of our timeshare vacations and are thankful to all the TUG travelers for their advice and encouragement.
Silentg

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
For 15 years I have used timeshares to take my daughter, her friends and my mother to Orlando in the fall. What an incredible bonding experience that has been for my mom and daughter. I have generally traded into a ski week every year for the last 10 years and invited my sister and her husband along. My mom and daughter usually come too (mom does not ski, but enjoys hanging out with us and doing the activities at the resort). The first 10 years of our marriage, my husband and I spent at least a month a year in Cancun at the Royal Resorts - we moved on as the school schedule interfered with our vacationing. One of my friends asked me recently "why do you need to own a timeshare, can't you just rent or do airbnb?" Looking back over the last 30 years, I don't think we would have taken a FRACTION of the vacations we did without those pre-paid weeks hanging out there waiting to be used. I got rid of all my timeshares a couple years ago - thought with my daughter aging, we were probably done with timesharing for awhile - until my sister and I got sticker shock on what it would cost to take those ski vacations paying retail prices! I'm back to acquiring again...

I went to a meet and greet at a timeshare in Park City, Utah and chatted with 3 other attorneys there- first vacation of the year, rarely able to get away... I got a flashback to what my life could have been if I had not discovered timesharing and set us on the course of work-life balance. I was a lurker on TUG for many years before registering. I thought I knew how timeshares worked, but have learned so much since becoming member and contributor!