• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking to Purchase in CA Desert

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
So we decided to buy in the Desert. Desert Springs II or Shadow Ridge. Annual Red Season. The Shadow Ridge just failed ROFR @ 2650. So I know we will have at least get closer to $3k. However now my concern is I am finding options w/out a reservation or if there is one, they want an additional grand or more because of the reservation. So when is the best time to purchase?

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
So we decided to buy in the Desert. Desert Springs II or Shadow Ridge. Annual Red Season. The Shadow Ridge just failed ROFR @ 2650. So I know we will have at least get closer to $3k. However now my concern is I am finding options w/out a reservation or if there is one, they want an additional grand or more because of the reservation. So when is the best time to purchase?

If you buy at Shadowridge be prepared for what I consider larger than average increases on maintenance fees. Also the MF do not include property taxes which are billed to you separately by Riverside County.

For example the MF for 2011 was $957. For 2019 it was $1556. Property taxes for this year for us were $100.88. I know this number varies.

At this point I regret buying and we bought resale and still paid over $10,000.

More and more we find ourelves locking it off and trading each side for a 2-bedroom in Hilton Head where we can drive to, thereby getting 2 weeks for the cost of our MF. This also saves us the additional expense of airfare and car rental if we go to Shadowridge.

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Personally we prefer DSV1 or II over Shadow Ridge. The MF’s at 1 or higher than II partially because it includes access to the facilities at the JW on Monday through Friday. If you find one that doesn’t have a reservation for 2020 ask the current owners to make a reservation in Dec. 2020 if the transaction doesn’t close before December 2019. If it does close then you can make the reservation. I wouldn’t let the first year usage deter me if I want a particular unit long term. Good luck.

Best regards.

Mike

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Thanks. I will ask for them to reserve in Dec. I don’t want to lose a year.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Marriott is selling gold season resale weeks at Shadow Ridge Villages for $7,995. If someone else can tell you the percentage they take when selling an owners week, you might be able to get closer to what the ROFR point might be. I’m thinking it’s around a 30% fee but, I’ve never looked into it. That just seems like the % I recall from reading posts on TUG. If that’s the case you might need to get closer to $4,500 to get past ROFR. Of course there are other factors involved, such as how much inventory they have on hand, how easy they believe those weeks will sell, effect the acquisition and integration of SVN/Westin/Hyatt et.....

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Marriott is selling gold season resale weeks at Shadow Ridge Villages for $7,995. If someone else can tell you the percentage they take when selling an owners week, you might be able to get closer to what the ROFR point might be. I’m thinking it’s around a 30% fee but, I’ve never looked into it. That just seems like the % I recall from reading posts on TUG. If that’s the case you might need to get closer to $4,500 to get past ROFR. Of course there are other factors involved, such as how much inventory they have on hand, how easy they believe those weeks will sell, effect the acquisition and integration of SVN/Westin/Hyatt et.....
For the resales, I am hearing that 4000 is the sweet spot for Platinum.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
I believe Marriott now takes 50% commission.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is only at selected MVC resorts that they will provide a repurchase offer or brokerage listing option for existing weeks owners.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I don't think the metric you are referencing is relevant since Marriott does not resell the U.S. weeks they re-acquire through ROFR. The weeks they resale are owned by other owners and Marriott is just acting as a broker. They never take title to the week and just earn their commission on the sale. The U.S. weeks they reacquire through ROFR go into the MVC Trust to fund their points for sale, so the metric they likely use is based more on their inventory needs for the Trust and the cost of each week that is presented for ROFR compared to their target inventory acquisition cost. ROFR and resales are two totally different things for MVC. MVC uses ROFR to add to the points inventory in the Trust at a much lower cost than new development, thus increasing their Development Margin.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
If you buy at Shadowridge be prepared for what I consider larger than average increases on maintenance fees.
Where did you get that information if you don't mind. I am an owner and have not seen anything.

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Where did you get that information if you don't mind. I am an owner and have not seen anything.

Not sure what you mean. I was referring to the increase in MF since we’ve owned over the years. Only have info thru 2019. We don’t have the amount for 2020 yet. We also own at Barony and their MF increases have been consistently lower over the years.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
Not sure what you mean. I was referring to the increase in MF since we’ve owned over the years. Only have info thru 2019. We don’t have the amount for 2020 yet. We also own at Barony and their MF increases have been consistently lower over the years.
I thought you had heard something about an unusual increase in maintenance fees for this year. I agree that the maintenance fees go up more than others. Since owning at Shadow Ridge, the average increase has been 5.33% while my other properties have been 4.83% at Imperial Palms and 4.67% at Ko Olina.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I thought you had heard something about an unusual increase in maintenance fees for this year. I agree that the maintenance fees go up more than others. Since owning at Shadow Ridge, the average increase has been 5.33% while my other properties have been 4.83% at Imperial Palms and 4.67% at Ko Olina.
I thought the increase was due to CA increasing minimum wage.

j.d.

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your best chance to save $$$ is to start looking on eBay for Marriott property's in Nov thru Jan!
In January Marriott owners receive annual maintenance bill! So you can pick up a steal ! Good luck!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
Your best chance to save $$$ is to start looking on eBay for Marriott property's in Nov thru Jan!
In January Marriott owners receive annual maintenance bill! So you can pick up a steal ! Good luck!
My concern is losing a year since it could take to long to transfer then I wouldn’t be able to book anything for 2020.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I'll throw out something not previously mentioned. At DSV1, there is no ROFR. You pay an extra $100 in MF, but the transaction is simple - - offer, acceptance, consideration, contract. Done deal.

I bought Gold/white weeks and they trade "okay". But buying platinum/Red weeks would have given me better trading power.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I'll throw out something not previously mentioned. At DSV1, there is no ROFR. You pay an extra $100 in MF, but the transaction is simple - - offer, acceptance, consideration, contract. Done deal.

I bought Gold/white weeks and they trade "okay". But buying platinum/Red weeks would have given me better trading power.

I agree. We bought a red season unit at DSV1 and have been very happy with the resort as well as the trades that we have gotten whether we traded the full 2BR unit or locked it off and made two trades.

Best regards.

Mike

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I may eventually buy a White DSV I but we have young kids so need II.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I'm a new owner as of February, 2019. I found a two bedroom EOY week gold season lock off on Ebay for $1.00 at Shadow Ridge Enclave. I have stayed at DSV I and the unit was amazing. So far, I exchanged the studio unit into a 2 bedroom at Ko'Olina back in April, so I've very happy with my purchase.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
I may eventually buy a White DSV I but we have young kids so need II.

We've owned White DSV-I for 15+ years and can get almost any exchange we want, but I always do it manually. I'm seriously thinking about buying a second week since I know it's such a good trader but will probably get Red this time.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
We've owned White DSV-I for 15+ years and can get almost any exchange we want, but I always do it manually. I'm seriously thinking about buying a second week since I know it's such a good trader but will probably get Red this time.

Are you able to trade into Hawaii weeks which are platinum weeks.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you able to trade into Hawaii weeks which are platinum weeks.
I've had great success trading Branson Platinum to HI and I believe the best Desert weeks will out trade WR both because of a slightly higher trade power and a better resort rating. Others have posted success trading to HI with such weeks. The problem with doing it manually is you lose out on the weeks that never make it to the online system as a minimum.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I've had great success trading Branson Platinum to HI and I believe the best Desert weeks will out trade WR both because of a slightly higher trade power and a better resort rating. Others have posted success trading to HI with such weeks. The problem with doing it manually is you lose out on the weeks that never make it to the online system as a minimum.

Well, I can understand trading a platinum week for a platinum week. The question I was asking was if you had a white week which is not platinum, can you trade into a platinum week in the Hawaii resorts. I thought you could only trade in the same season.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I can understand trading a platinum week for a platinum week. The question I was asking was if you had a white week which is not platinum, can you trade into a platinum week in the Hawaii resorts. I thought you could only trade in the same season.
The point I was making is that a White/Gold week in the desert is likely a better trader than Branson Platinum. II doesn't care about Marriott's seasons but simple demand so there is no restriction of similar season like there would be for say the FL club.