• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gold Crown and Secrets St Martin question

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hello,

The below all inclusive resort, Secrets St. Martin Resort and Spa (#DQ14), is set to open in February 2020. RCI already lists it as a Gold Crown-rated Resort. How can RCI grade a resort that hasn’t even opened yet?

Secrets St. Martin Resort and Spa (#DQ14)
GC-ColorLgIcon.png
Anse Marcel, Saint Martin

http://www.secretsresorts.com/en_us/resorts/st-martin/st-martin.html

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
This resort is on a lovely beach and would be a nice place if you’re interested in staying at your resort all the time. Unfortunately, to get to it you need to drive a somewhat treacherous narrow road over hilly terrain. We often go to that beach for a day trip, but I wouldn't want to drive the road every time I wanted to experience one of the island's other beautiful beaches or amazing restaurants—especially in the dark. For us, being able to easily drive to all the island's beaches and great dining is part of St. Maarten's appeal.

We visited the Anse Marcel beach last February and there was lots of work underway at the resort to repair all the Hurricane Irma damage...that area was among the hardest hit. It looked like there was a major redo of building underway.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You made me curious. I guess I didn't realize they rated resorts before they were open. I am assuming that it must be based on "resort facilities, amenities and services" from the definition of Gold Crown. Certainly none of the other standards could apply at this point, right? But, I must say, when I clicked on your link, this place looks pretty impressive and definitely looks Gold Crown. I don't suspect I will get a chance to find out anytime soon. :bawl:

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
You made me curious. I guess I didn't realize they rated resorts before they were open. I am assuming that it must be based on "resort facilities, amenities and services" from the definition of Gold Crown. Certainly none of the other standards could apply at this point, right? But, I must say, when I clicked on your link, this place looks pretty impressive and definitely looks Gold Crown. I don't suspect I will get a chance to find out anytime soon. :bawl:

Yes, it seems odd that a resort gets rated even before guests arrive.