• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cheapest First Class to Hawaii?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Looking to book FC seats to Hawaii from Seattle for next August. Shopping around, and trying to find the best price on seats. The cheapest I'm seeing is about $1120 for two, nonstop SEA to HNL. Having trouble spending that much, considering I still need to book return flights. Anyone have insider tricks to a good discount?

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
August is a busy time - not many low fares, though prices will be cheaper flying mid-week.

The cheapest hack I know if you have some available first class upgrade certificates and an Alaska Air companion fare certificate. (If you are MVP Gold on Alaska Airlines you get four upgrade certificates each year.) You then search for flights, also using Upgrades and Discounts for your FF level.

upload_2019-9-25_10-40-12.png

On the results page, if there is an upgradable first class fare, there will be blue box with a white "F". If an upgrade isn't available it will show as a blue "F" inside a white box. So on the example below the 11;55 am flight does not have a first class upgrade available, but the 11:10 pm flight does. You then select the First class upgrade option. And book the companion fare. Let's say you find a similar $499 upgradable fare on your outbound flight. So your fare for two tickets round trip is going to be $1120. After you complete the purchase, you go to the completed reservation and apply your upgrade certificates, converting the tickets to first class tickets. So you now have two first class round trip seats for about $560 each.

Note that you need one upgrade certificate per passenger per leg - upgrading a companion fare ticket both ways requires four certificates. If you only two certificates, then you only need to find one leg with up-gradable fares.

upload_2019-9-25_10-32-27.png

The availability of the these first class upgrade fares is limited; to find one in my example I had to hunt around mid-week to find the example. If they are available for weekend flights to popular destinations they get snapped up pretty quickly.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, I'm not MVP or Gold with Alaska. The idea of flying FC is because it's such a long flight, it'd be nice to arrive without being worn out.

We're looking at a Multi-City booking, or two one-way flights, flying mid-week outbound SEA to HNL, Saturday return two weeks later, LIH to SEA Can't quite book the return flights yet, so I'm looking around to see what's what. Based on the best dates I can currently book, Hawaiian is cheaper without a companion fare, than Alaska is with one. If we need to book Coach r/t, Hawaiian is currently the better deal.

I'm not against booking Southwest even, but I think their schedule is currently only booking through March. And they don't yet fly direct from SEA to HNL, and they don't fly to LIH at all right now, even inter-island.

Dave

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, I'm not MVP or Gold with Alaska. The idea of flying FC is because it's such a long flight, it'd be nice to arrive without being worn out.

We're looking at a Multi-City booking, or two one-way flights, flying mid-week outbound SEA to HNL, Saturday return two weeks later, LIH to SEA Can't quite book the return flights yet, so I'm looking around to see what's what. Based on the best dates I can currently book, Hawaiian is cheaper without a companion fare, than Alaska is with one. If we need to book Coach r/t, Hawaiian is currently the better deal.

I'm not against booking Southwest even, but I think their schedule is currently only booking through March. And they don't yet fly direct from SEA to HNL, and they don't fly to LIH at all right now, even inter-island.

Dave

Even if you're not and MVP, do you know someone who is? Certain Alaska elites get guest upgrades they can use to upgrade others, with which you could use the same procedure as outlined above. While the sale of upgrades isnt allowed, I'd certainly want to treat someone who did me such a nice favor to a few nights at a worldmark or something similar as a thank you.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Even if you're not and MVP, do you know someone who is? Certain Alaska elites get guest upgrades they can use to upgrade others, with which you could use the same procedure as outlined above. While the sale of upgrades isnt allowed, I'd certainly want to treat someone who did me such a nice favor to a few nights at a worldmark or something similar as a thank you.
Yes, you can use the certs to upgrade others. On an upcoming flight, I have DW and DS upgraded to FC using two certs I needed to burn before the end of the year. The only trick is that the owner of the certs needs to make the reservation. Also if you change the itinerary you lose the upgrade.

If you know some who is a 75K Alaska MVP, they get unlimited upgrade certs.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Airfares out of SFO and the surrounding airports seem to be a better deal. Oakland and SJC have been our best airports. PDX is also good. I don't like LAX and avoid that stop at all costs.

You can check flights with Google.com/flights and switch airports to see the better prices. Whale season is just expensive to/from Maui. I couldn't afford to fly back on a Saturday and had to book a hotel at Ritz Carlton in Kapalua for that night and fly out the next day. Turned out great. Booked that with points. I have Marriott points to burn.

Since SEA is your airport, you might want to check later. I saw the flights from our August trip plummet months after booking. It was devastating to watch the non/stop flight to and from Denver RT (only flight nonstop from Denver to Maui) go from $6000/ each RT to $1867 about two weeks before our trip. That was RT in lie-flat seats on United.

We usually fly to the coast and fly in and out of whatever airport is cheapest, and it doesn't matter if it's the same airport.

Last edited:

brownhaired_girl

TUG Member
Reaction score
This site might be worth following if you have some time before you need to book your flights. https://beatofhawaii.com/

If you have a stash of Amex MR points you can transfer to Hawaiian Airlines. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/?s=Hawaiian+Airlines

Another option would be the SW Companion Pass. There are 2 options for SW business cards.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/so...320b2dc354&jp_cmp=cc/680525/aff/3-10003273/na
This one has an 80,000 point sign up bonus. If you pair it with a personal card you will have 120,000 points and a companion pass. You would want to time the cards so you don’t meet spend until after 1/1/2020 and you would have CP for all of 2020 and 2021. You would be surprised at what can count as a “business” If you are going to sign up for 2 cards, be aware that you might want to sign up for the “business” card first. Chase won’t approve a business card if you have signed up for any other cards in the last 30 days.

Not first class but very low cost.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Or... book standard seats (w companion pass) and get exit row when these seats are released (6am pst day prior to flight? was exactly 24 hours, but has shifted) - not 1st class, but has leg room.
Has worked for us over the last few years.
shhhh....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, everyone. These are great solutions. Unfortunately, I don't have access to, or know anybody with MVP status, or AmEx points, or any other of your insider tips. Southwest is only booking through March right now, and I'm not sure I want to wait to buy till they're booking mid-August fares. Southwest may or may not be booking direct SEA to HNL by next Summer, but in my test, all flights currently available to book from SEA to HNL connect through Oakland or San Jose. It's not about trying to book the cheapest seats, it's about trying to book the extra comfort of First Class, and invite a little pampering, as a way to start our extended vacation in Hawaii. I'm a bit spoiled. :)

I have an Alaska companion voucher, which I'll probably use ultimately, for a Multi-City fare, SEA - HNL, and LIH - SEA. But what I'm seeing right now, a bit surprisingly, is that Hawaiian Airlines without a voucher, is cheaper than Alaska with the voucher, for the dates I've tested. If that doesn't change, I'll probably book Hawaiian Airlines instead of Alaska. At least their in-flight Aloha spirit and music are better. LOL! :)

Dave

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Southwest is only booking through March right now,
SW is now booking through April 13, but of course, they don't have first class.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
SW is now booking through April 13, but of course, they don't have first class.

And I need flights in August. :D

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
All summer I have been getting emails from Hawaiian Airlines about discounted fares for the Fall. So you might wait until next summer.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Want to see how crazy FC ticket prices can be?

Annotation%202019-09-26%20211531.jpg

I was tracking the price of 2 tickets. Then 38 days ago, when there was a sudden drop, I bought them. There must have only been 2 available at that price because as soon as I bought, them they jumped back up to an even higher price. Start tracking the price of the flights you think you might want to take, and keep checking them regularly.

Here's another tip. Since Delta and Alaska both let you use miles to pay for part of your ticket, if you sign up for one of their credit cards, you'll get a bunch of miles (if you make enough purchases during the early months). You can then use the miles to pay for part of the ticket.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Want to see how crazy FC ticket prices can be?

Here's another tip. Since Delta and Alaska both let you use miles to pay for part of your ticket, if you sign up for one of their credit cards, you'll get a bunch of miles (if you make enough purchases during the early months). You can then use the miles to pay for part of the ticket.

Art, what is this price tracker you're using? I'd like to give it a try.

And are you really spending all of February on Kauai?

Dave

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Thats typical for Hawaiian, crazy price jumps, seems like its best to book 5-6 months out. We had FC booked from LAX to KOA for May at $1100 RT each. We had to cancel then rebooked for October, it was $1400 when I checked so I called in and by the time they looked up my credit it had jumped to $2300. I finally had to switch to LGB with a connection thru HNL to get a $1400 fare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
W

I often use the Alaska Air miles+money option. When you book a flight using miles only, you don't generate FF miles. But if you book using miles+money, the flight does accrue miles. I normally get at least 2x miles, so a round trip to Hawaii earns me more than 10,000 miles.

Here's a trick at Alaska when using miles+money. If start out booking a round trip using miles+money, Alaska will show a bunch of optoins, and it can be hard to find the specific flights that you want. Sometimes Alaska doesn't even show certain pairs. What I usually do is to book the outbound and return flights as separate itineraries, using miles+money. The fare is the same. But when you pick a one-way routing, Alaska will show all of the options on that route. So you just pick the flight you want for each leg.

That approach also allows you to burn more miles. If you book round trip, the maximum number of miles that you can use in 20,000, for up to $200 off the fare. If you book each leg separately, you can apply 20,000 miles to each leg, or 40,000 miles in total. That will give you $400 off the ticket price.

One thing to look out for is that when you book with miles+money, the 10,000 mile option is the lesser of half the fare or $100. With 20,000 miles it's the lesser of half the fare or $200. So unless the fare is $400 or more it doesn't make sense to burn 20k miles on the ticket, because you won't get full value from your miles.

I generate a lot of miles flying for business, and I often burn them off using miles+money on personal travel. Or I use the miles+money to facilitate travel for some family members to our family holiday and vacation times together.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Art, what is this price tracker you're using? I'd like to give it a try.

And are you really spending all of February on Kauai?

Dave

Google Flights lets you track flights and notifies you when there's a price change: https://www.google.com/flights
There's several sites that do the same thing, but I like Google's because if you book it through them it usually takes you directly to the airline's web site. That way you can log in and have all your info available. I don't think any sites track Southwest, but they don't have first class anyway.

Yes, we'll be in Kauai a whole month, a first for us. I hope we don't get bored... :D