• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Best Way To Earn Airline Miles

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Unlesss you’re a points junkie, this article will lead you into a state of insanity trying to get the “best” dealo_O

Cheers

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Agree. Too tedious to follow. As an AAdvantage member, I was merely curious about why he twice mentioned that among the carriers, he hadn't flown AA in at least a couple years, even teasing with 'more on that later'. He never did say why, or if he did it was buried deep somewhere in all the weeds.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I consider myself a points junkie and even that was too much for me to read.

Pick one airline and write 6 articles. Would be an easier read.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I keep it simple and use Chase Reward points for international and collect SWA points for domestic. I don't actively chase major carrier airline points or elite status anymore because the devaluations and limitations make my head explode. Southwest's companion pass and ability to cancel and change plus free 2 bags really has me hooked on them. I don't have to think.

When I need an international flight I can book either using the Chase portal for a cash ticket on a desired airline at 1.5 cents per $1 (and also earn FF miles because it's a cash ticket) with the lowest price, or can transfer chase points to an airline such as United. Best opportunity when you need it.

When the Chase and Southwest portal/points get devalued I will move to a 2% card and make my life very simple. Cash is the most flexible airline point of all!

Last edited:
Reaction score
FWIW I quit reading The Points Guy and some of the other bloggers like him because they are paid by the credit card companies to shill credit cards.

I totally understand that and they are pretty transparent about that, BUT what other sources of information are better?

Additionally, TPG has lots of other great info on flying and not just focused on credit cards

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@DazedandConfused I agree. Sometimes TPG has helpful articles but I now tend to use them as reference after a web search for a specific topic. TPG and bowtie blog were helpful when I first started out collecting points but now both seem repetitive.

I also use Flyertalk forums when I need specific info on how to take advantage of a FF perk. I scan Boarding Area and Doctor of Credit for headlines. There are a lot of shills there too but at least by reading headlines I know what articles to avoid e.g. "Top Credit Cards for month of " or "Fantastic 100k offer by xxx."

FWIW...I believe the heyday of massive points for major trips is almost over and most of these blogs are providing diminishing returns on my time. Most of the credit card and airlines have been devaluing loyalty programs to a point where there are so many rules that 2% cash back and simple programs such as Chase Rewards are better uses of my time and yield about the same results.

With the exception of SWA, the airlines are feeling the pinch as consumers are not signing up for their airline loyalty cards. This is a demise of their own doing.

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I’ve long felt the “good old days” of FF rewards are over. For over 15 years or so I used my hoard of some 3000000+ miles on American and Delta earned by years of business travel to go once a year to London and often a second trip to other overseas locations, all in business class.

I still have about 750000 left so I’ll use those up in the next few years. After that, I expect to be done traveling overseas. I’ll use my new plane I recently purchased for travel in the states and if a particularly great price shows up to an overseas location, pay for it with that thing called cash:D

Cheers

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I "play the game" as much as I can, in order to accumulate enough Aeroplan miles to get DH and I to Vietnam. Credit card sign-up bonuses , survey panels, etc., help us reach these goals. I was sad when Choice Hotels terminated their affiliation with Southwest, as they are our favourite airline for travel to the US. Unfortunately I can't have a Southwest credit card, since I don't have a SSN.

I belong to Flyertalk, and often read The Points Guy.

Dori