• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Westin Flex purchase

grandma

Reaction score
We purchased 162,000 Westin Flex SOs which included deeding back our EOY WL studio and our 2 bd. EOY WPORV. We have owned both of those since pre-construction and are well aware of the little to no value; also very rarely use them. We kept our WKV 2 bd. EY Platinum. Although we aren’t thrilled to spend more money, we are happy to get rid of the two Voluntary resorts that did not hold value for us. I have not thoroughly researched the WF program and have some questions. When booking Hawaii properties through Flex, is Island View the only choice? No Ocean View? I know the Ocean Front units are not in Flex, although I was told this morning by Vistana that ALL units are included in Flex depending on availability; I don’t believe that, except at the 8 month reservation period. Something else we were told is that any new Westins would be included in the Flex program. I’m assuming that would mean that if any new Westins come down the pike, and are put into WF in part or entirety, only then would we have access through WF.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
We purchased 162,000 Westin Flex SOs which included deeding back our EOY WL studio and our 2 bd. EOY WPORV. We have owned both of those since pre-construction and are well aware of the little to no value; also very rarely use them. We kept our WKV 2 bd. EY Platinum. Although we aren’t thrilled to spend more money, we are happy to get rid of the two Voluntary resorts that did not hold value for us. I have not thoroughly researched the WF program and have some questions. When booking Hawaii properties through Flex, is Island View the only choice? No Ocean View? I know the Ocean Front units are not in Flex, although I was told this morning by Vistana that ALL units are included in Flex depending on availability; I don’t believe that, except at the 8 month reservation period.

I believe most of what they have in the trust is island view (or resort view at Nanea). Some Flex Owners have been able to book an Ocean View, but I would not bank on this. No OF units are in Flex regardless of what the salesperson told you, but you don't have enough options for a full week in a 2 BR (is that what you want since your other purchases seem to be 2BR?). You've hit the nail on the head in that they were probably talking about a SO reservation when they said all units can be book depending on availability. Would you prefer booking OF? If so you might be better off getting an OF at WKORV or WKORV-N. MF's would be lower as well.

Something else we were told is that any new Westins would be included in the Flex program. I’m assuming that would mean that if any new Westins come down the pike, and are put into WF in part or entirety, only then would we have access through WF.

I would not believe this. They will be in some sort of Flex program; however, the Mexican Westin's are in a separate trust and the Westin St. John Resort (USVI) is not in the Westin Flex program. I suspect only new Westin's in the US would be added.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it's really unlikely they'll do new Westin branded TS. They have the rights to make as many new Marriott branded resorts as they want, but the Westin deal would require renegotiation (ie more $) to add Westin branded resorts.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I think it's really unlikely they'll do new Westin branded TS. They have the rights to make as many new Marriott branded resorts as they want, but the Westin deal would require renegotiation (ie more $) to add Westin branded resorts.

This is a good point. Bottom line, never buy for promises of a future resort unless it is already under construction!

Grandmama

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a good point. Bottom line, never buy for promises of a future resort unless it is already under construction!
Yes, good point.
I believe most of what they have in the trust is island view (or resort view at Nanea). Some Flex Owners have been able to book an Ocean View, but I would not bank on this. No OF units are in Flex regardless of what the salesperson told you, but you don't have enough options for a full week in a 2 BR (is that what you want since your other purchases seem to be 2BR?). You've hit the nail on the head in that they were probably talking about a SO reservation when they said all units can be book depending on availability. Would you prefer booking OF? If so you might be better off getting an OF at WKORV or WKORV-N. MF's would be lower as well.

I would not believe this. They will be in some sort of Flex program; however, the Mexican Westin's are in a separate trust and the Westin St. John Resort (USVI) is not in the Westin Flex program. I suspect only new Westin's in the US would be added.

We weren’t looking for 2 bedroom OF. We decided that we would get enough WF options for two 1 bedrooms a year. We like the idea of the 12 month reservation window at many resorts, the ability to reserve less than a week at 8-12 mos. and the flexibility of II; not having to use a full week. This brought us to 4 star, not that that was important to us; just a couple small perks with that. At one time we were 5 star platinum owners and didn’t really use the perks with that status. For the past 9 years we have been 3 star, but owned voluntary home resorts that weren’t what we wanted or used. This “upgrade” is the best we feel we can do to get what we want out of our Vistana ownership. If we had it to do all over again.........., Sigh.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

There have to be new resorts added eventually. Sales can only churn ownerships but so far, and we are seeing that now with the "introduction" of the Flex products and essentially a repackaging of what's existing. They had no new inventory, other than Cabo, so they had to come up with something "new" to sell. At some point there will have to be new inventory to fuel the sales machine.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There have to be new resorts added eventually. Sales can only churn ownerships but so far, and we are seeing that now with the "introduction" of the Flex products and essentially a repackaging of what's existing. They had no new inventory, other than Cabo, so they had to come up with something "new" to sell. At some point there will have to be new inventory to fuel the sales machine.

IIRC the is lots of stuff to build at desert willow. That, combined with trade-in/rofr probably covers them for a long time.

And I think eventually there will be some sort of cross-product deal, and they'll end up selling DC points at the Westin sales centers.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Where do you find this? I've read over the filed SEC docs from Marriott Vacations Worldwide and I don't see this addressed. Also, MVW specifically states:
Under the terms of our license agreements with Marriott International, The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, Starwood and Hyatt, we must obtain the consent of the applicable licensor to use the applicable licensed trademarks in connection with resorts, residences or other accommodations that we acquire or develop in the future.