• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

? About Marriott Bonvoy and credits for nights

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually stay at Marriott’s in Orlando, but booked Sheraton Vistana Resort for my current stay. Upon checkin we gave them my husbands BONVOY # and were told we would not get credit for the nights stayed because we exchanged through II. We corrected them and said we purchased getaways, but they still said we wouldn’t get credits. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, is this a recent Bonvoy change or is it specific to Sheraton Vistana Resort? We got credits for last years Marriott Harbor Lake stay that was booked via II.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
Vistana is much incorrect. I was there in July and stayed 7 nights using an accommodation certificate. My family also stayed in the next unit and also received the nights and points. The nights were applied a few days after we got home. When I didn't receive my bonus 2,500 points, I called last week and also had those points added in addition to the 1,500 I got upon check out at the guard gate.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
To be clear, anything booked via II is not technically eligible for Bonvoy Credits per the Ts&Cs as these do not qualify as an "Qualifying Rate". Only stays booked via your own ownership direct with Marriott or Direct with Vistana technically qualify. That said, many have had success getting nights credited, especially if you are sure you have your Bonvoy number added to the reservation at check-in and ask again to verify at check-out. Some have also had luck chasing the Bonvoy team after the fact, but they are well within their rights to deny these nights.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
To be clear, anything booked via II is not technically eligible for Bonvoy Credits per the Ts&Cs as these do not qualify as an "eligible rate". Only stays booked via your own ownership direct with Marriott or Direct with Vistana technically qualify. That said, many have had success getting nights credited, especially if you are sure you have your Bonvoy number added to the reservation at check-in and ask again to verify at check-out. Some have also had luck chasing the Bonvoy team after the fact, but they are well within their rights to deny these nights.
We have always had stays booked via II credited OK.
I searched the Marriott Bonvoy Ts & Cs for where they show these do not qualify.
The only relevant clauses I could find for exclusions related to third party bookings, is this what you are referring to?
I wonder if their intent is to exclude these, especially as II are now part of the MVW group?

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the first time in over 20 years, I’m having an issue getting nights credited for a stay. Four calls, last one with a Supervisor! The points, plus bonus were credited, but no nights. The folio clearly shows a 7-night stay. Should be black and white.

Any idea who to speak with next? It’s important to me because these 7 nights will bring me over the 75 night threshold and I want to use my free night in November!

Maria

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I think the issue with Vistana COULD be that they are not in the MVC family. Just speculation on my part.

I receive night credit for every MVC stay booked through II. I can even add my Bonvoy number to the reservation in advance of my stay for full benefits. (arrival points etc.)

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the issue with Vistana COULD be that they are not in the MVC family. Just speculation on my part.

I receive night credit for every MVC stay booked through II. I can even add my Bonvoy number to the reservation in advance of my stay for full benefits. (arrival points etc.)

Yes, I always add the Marriott reservation number prior to my stay and this one was no different.

Just got off the phone with someone at the corporate office who said the most ridiculous statement - I would only get credit for stays at my owned resort. So I said that was not my experience for the past 20+ years, have the rules changed? She said no it has always been that way. Of course we know different.

Sending an email to customer.advocacy@vacationclub.com - I will let you know the resolution.

Maria

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Yes, I always add the Marriott reservation number prior to my stay and this one was no different.

Just got off the phone with someone at the corporate office who said the most ridiculous statement - I would only get credit for stays at my owned resort. So I said that was not my experience for the past 20+ years, have the rules changed? She said no it has always been that way. Of course we know different.

Sending an email to customer.advocacy@vacationclub.com - I will let you know the resolution.

Maria

I have a getaway at aruba SC starting Thursday. We shall see, but my Bonvoy number is attached already!

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had several stays the last few months in Vistana and Marriott timeshares via owner weeks/points, Interval exchanges and Getaways. I've received nightly credit and elite "welcome" points from all of them. I make sure the reservation number is in my Bonvoy account before I check in, and confirm they have it at the front desk.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also ran into the same issue this summer at Vistana Resort in Orlando. But we did not get the warning at checkin. Checkin desk confirmed by Marriott/Bonvoy number at arrival. Got points for stopping by the sales desk and listening to them ask me if I would consider coming to a presentation. Checked out and the room nights never appeared. I filled out the missing stay request and got a note a week later saying I was not eligible for credit. I called and go conflicting answers. Asked for a supervisor and got no where. Of course none of them could tell me why I've gotten night credit with Interval getaways for the past 20-years. I told them lesson learned was to stick with Marriott (we simply chose Vistana for a change of scenery). Out of the blue a month later, I noticed my Marriott Bonvoy account showed a higher night count.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I've had several stays the last few months in Vistana and Marriott timeshares via owner weeks/points, Interval exchanges and Getaways. I've received nightly credit and elite "welcome" points from all of them. I make sure the reservation number is in my Bonvoy account before I check in, and confirm they have it at the front desk.

so how can you get an II Getaway added to your Bonvoy account before check-in?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's a separate reservation number listed in the Getaway confirmation (not the Interval reservation number). I plugged the reservation number into my Bonvoy account to find an "upcoming reservation" and all the details popped right up. When I checked in, the front desk had my Bonvoy number on file.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
There's a separate reservation number listed in the Getaway confirmation (not the Interval reservation number). I plugged the reservation number into my Bonvoy account to find an "upcoming reservation" and all the details popped right up. When I checked in, the front desk had my Bonvoy number on file.

The only trick to this (and it really applies to exchanges more) is that you have to give II time to move everything to your name. On an exchange, the reservation number isn't in your name at the time of the exchange. We usually wait 1-2 weeks before doing this. but it works very well.

2rebecca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice. We will submit a request online if the nights don’t show up in my husband’s account.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score

Are you sure that worked for your Vistana reservation? And was that a getaway?

For me, that works great for getaways at a Marriott Vacation Club resort, but not so much for Vistana, Westin, or Sheraton. The reservation number on the getaway confirmation is not a Marriott number, and the system can't find it. For Vistana and Westin, I had to jump thru hoops to get it attached to my Bonvoy account. And also had to call to get elite night credits for the Westin stay. The Vistana and Sheraton stays are still upcoming. I did try to get the Sheraton reservation linked to my Bonvoy account, and of course it didn't work. So I used chat to try to do it. They did give me the corresponding Marriott reservation number, but said that I had to call the resort to get my Bonvoy number attached to the reservation.
(And I did try to add the reservation to my Bonvoy account using the Marriott reservation, but that didn't work either.)

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that worked for your Vistana reservation? And was that a getaway?...

Dvc_john, you could be right about a difference in Vistana and Marriott Interval Getaways. My two Getaways last month were both Marriotts, and they were easy to add to my Bonvoy account prior to check-in. Same with an upcoming Marriott Getaway. In August, I used Vistana StarOptions, Marriott owner weeks and Marriott Vacation Club points. I got nightly credits for an earlier Getaway at Sheraton Desert Oasis, but I may have just given them my Bonvoy number at check-in.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I recently stayed at Newport Coast Marriott and probably forgot to have my Marriott Rewards number associated with the exchange res. So I checked my check out bill (aka "folio" ?) and I didn't see a number. So I went to Marriott dot com, logged in, went to my activity and tried to report a missing stay. It was really really clumbsy. I even had to slow down on my data entry because the site wasn't keeping up with my typing. In the comments I supplied my MR rewards number, the Marriott res #, and an explanation. Then I saw an unfilled set of blanks regarding documentation of a receipt. When I clicked on it, all of my comments disappeared, I tried unclicking and that "launched" my report of the missing stay. An hour later I got a Delivery Status notification (Failure) and it said
"The following message to <bonvoy.stay@marriott.com> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.3.0 - Other mail system problem 554-'5.4.6 Hop count exceeded - possible mail loop'"

The on-line Marriott site to get credit for a lost night's stay is obviously focused on cash customers and not exchangers based on the fields available.

So this morning I called NCV and was told that since I checked out that there was nothing they could do and I would have to call Marriott Bonvoy. I eventually got to a human who told me to call NCV. Been there, done that. Then she told me to go to Marriott dot com and file a missing stay. Been there done that. Then she told me that since it was an exchange through Interval (a third party that she lumped into the basket of Travelocity, Expedia, Hotel dot com, etc) that I don't get the night's credit. I escalated the conversation to a resolution manager and she told me that because it was through a third party (like Travelocity, Expedia, etc.) it wasn't eligible. I argued that the paragraph that she was reading word-for-word applied to outside cash purchases but didn't apply to M to M exchanges. She argued that Interval is a third party. I countered with Marriott Vacation club is also a third party separate from Bonvoy. She countered with No, MVC is NOT a third party. I countered with "since MVC owns Interval, and MVC is not a third party that then neither is Interval. I wasn't convincing her so I escalated it to the next management tier. After 5 minutes of loud obnoxious "music" she came back and told me that she spoke with her supervisor (a director?) and yes, Interval Exchangers into Marriott Vacation Club should get the credit. I thanked her for confirming my original point and understanding. In the next month or so, the MR points are supposed to show up.

My April Marriott exchange and my June Marriott exchange both showed on my activity because it was associated with my MR number. But the Sept. one didn't because I forgot to check to see if they had my MR number. That is surprising because the last 20 exchanges have automatically included the MR number. My personal lesson is to remember to check the MR number on the res.

Whew!! Bonvoy needs to train its people better and I need to double check the res.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I have yet to have a StarOption reservation automatically post to my Bonvoy account. Every time at checkin I have confirmed that my Bonvoy number is attached to the reservation. They never post and I have to fight to get credit. Haven't even tried from our September stay at SVV.

mpizza

TUG Member
Reaction score

Maria

Finally received credit for my stay, although my night count is not correct. Prior to this 7-night stay, I had 69 nights, so I should have 76.

My account shows 71 nights!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Marriott is sure doing their best to screw up a great program.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just checked out of II getaway at Sheraton Vistana Resort in Orlando on Friday. Quite some time ago I managed to get my Bonvoy number attached to the Marriott reservation number. Was planning on having to call to get elite nights credit posted (just like I had to do for a Westin getaway a couple of months ago), but to my surprise it posted automatically today, just like it would for an MVC getaway. All 7 elite nights credit posted, plus points for amount spent at resort, and 1000 point Titanium bonus.
Quite pleased - it worked just like it's supposed to.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Just checked out of II getaway at Sheraton Vistana Resort in Orlando on Friday. Quite some time ago I managed to get my Bonvoy number attached to the Marriott reservation number. Was planning on having to call to get elite nights credit posted (just like I had to do for a Westin getaway a couple of months ago), but to my surprise it posted automatically today, just like it would for an MVC getaway. All 7 elite nights credit posted, plus points for amount spent at resort, and 1000 point Titanium bonus.
Quite pleased - it worked just like it's supposed to.

did you get your Bonvoy number attached using the online Marriott system or did you have to call? I have a Getaway at a Westin that doesn’t seem to want to recognize either of the reservation numbers on my II confirmation.

dvc_john

TUG Member
Reaction score
did you get your Bonvoy number attached using the online Marriott system or did you have to call? I have a Getaway at a Westin that doesn’t seem to want to recognize either of the reservation numbers on my II confirmation.

For the Vistana reservation, calling Marriott didn't work. I emailed the Vistana resort, and they handled it.

I also had a Westin getaway in September, and I called Marriott and they handled it.

I also have an upcoming Sheraton II getaway. I called Marriott and they did give me a Marriott/Bonvoy reservation number for it. But I still have to call the resort to have it attached to my Bonvoy account. Haven't done that yet.

The 2 numbers on the II confirmation are the II confirmation number and the Westin reservation number. Your Bonvoy account won't recognize either of those. You have to have a Marriot/Bonvoy reservation number. They have to create a Marriott reservation number, and they have to add it to your Bonvoy account.