• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Why is Lagunamar gold season expensive (relatively)?

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually make our transfer from the airport stop at Costco on the way to the hotel. We usually stay 10 or 12 days so we need a lot of food for 4 people, lol. I find Costco has the best meat selection and they have bacon that my family wants every morning for breakfast. We love to grill out at Lagunamar! Their grills are always clean and in good working order.

We supplement as needed during our stay from Soriana down the street in the mall and a couple of times we have taken the bus to Selecto. Selecto has a better selection and a bit higher prices but we have always been happy with what we have found at Soriana. At Selecto you also have to run the gauntlet of people pushing free/reduced tours for taking a timeshare tour and we don't like that. I always pack a selection of dried spices and herbs to take with me to Lagunamar as it is hard to find what I want in the grocery stores.

What transfer company do you use that stops at Costco?

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Cancun on Saturday
bc94e76d382a54e568d9d86c9d97f4d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I know USA transfers will stop at Costco. Though the fee is higher than a regular grocery stop.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
happy Shuttle will stop there. Canada transfers and Usa transfers both charge extra now for costco. I believe happy shuttle was $30 last time we used them.

we are trying cheaptransfercancun for the first time this new years. Their price for costco was only $25 when we booked

blondietink

Reaction score

We have used USA Transfers for the Costco stop. Yes, it is an added expense to the airport pick up but not as expensive as taking a cab there and back. They let you shop for one hour. I bring my reusable grocery bags in the outside pockets of our suitcases so they are easy to find and my shopping list.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We prefer selecto chedraui. Huge selection much like a US grocery store. Take the bus. Bring your suitcase or take a cab back for $10.
<snip>
Suitcase? Maybe...I've seen that. But I have found that a backpack works well. If your backpack is not large, it counts as a briefcase or purse for airline purposes, not as a carry-on. Then it becomes available to you to carry your heavier items back from either Soriana or Chedraui.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We found the package sizes at Costco in Maui too large for a one week vacation. It is usually only 3-4 people and unless you eat the same thing everyday the quantity's they sell are too large. When the kids were little maybe it would have worked better buying milk, cereal etc. Nobody in my family eats that that stuff anymore. Next time I go to to Maui I will probably buy groceries at Safeway and my gas at Costco.

In Maui we bought a bunch of bottled water, Gatorade, turkey lunch meat, ground beef, eggs and bacon at Costco. Then we had bacon and eggs everyday for breakfast and turkey sandwiches everyday for lunch. Breakfast was fine, I wanted little more variety for lunch but Dinner was the problem. We had to eat tacos, spaghetti, and hamburger all week just to use up the package of ground beef. If we had bought other proteins at Costco we would have had to throw a lot of it away.

Are the packages any smaller at the Cancun Costco or is everything 3-4 lbs ?

blondietink

Reaction score
I never buy hamburger so I can't answer your question.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
We found the package sizes at Costco in Maui too large for a one week vacation. It is usually only 3-4 people and unless you eat the same thing everyday the quantity's they sell are too large. When the kids were little maybe it would have worked better buying milk, cereal etc. Nobody in my family eats that that stuff anymore. Next time I go to to Maui I will probably buy groceries at Safeway and my gas at Costco.

In Maui we bought a bunch of bottled water, Gatorade, turkey lunch meat, ground beef, eggs and bacon at Costco. Then we had bacon and eggs everyday for breakfast and turkey sandwiches everyday for lunch. Breakfast was fine, I wanted little more variety for lunch but Dinner was the problem. We had to eat tacos, spaghetti, and hamburger all week just to use up the package of ground beef. If we had bought other proteins at Costco we would have had to throw a lot of it away.

Are the packages any smaller at the Cancun Costco or is everything 3-4 lbs ?

the packages are the same size. The quality of the steaks is much better than anywhere else in cancun, great for the grills at WLR. My wife stays for 4+ weeks December and January so Costco is good for that. With only 1 week, Soriana or Selecto would have better package sizes.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
the packages are the same size. The quality of the steaks is much better than anywhere else in cancun, great for the grills at WLR. My wife stays for 4+ weeks December and January so Costco is good for that. With only 1 week, Soriana or Selecto would have better package sizes.

4 plus weeks in Cancun. Wow I can only dream about taking that much time off .

blondietink

Reaction score
Yes, I agree that the meat at Costco is better than any other grocery store there. We buy a package of nice strip or porterhouse steaks and they are fabulous on the gill there. We also get chicken to grill. I saw somebody else with skirt steak and it looked delicious also.