• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is 2019 the 'Year of the Timeshare'? [Marriott/Vistana/Hyatt in the DC speculation]

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
We had a discussion about the ILG acquisition and what some of the impacts on Marriott owners going forward will be. As it was a discussion only, everything I have said about the ILG deal is 'speculation'. We also had a discussion regarding upcoming internal changes to the Marriott Destination Points program, (which is why they encouraged me to buy more points as a condition of getting these new benefits). As part of that 2nd discussion, they told me these program changes/added benefits were already documented (for regulatory purposes) and should be formally announced as soon as October (when another points price increase is to also occur).

Since they told me documentation of these new ownership benefits existed, I asked to see proof before I would agree to buy anything because I would not just take their word for it. They agreed and I was shown and allowed to read some Marriott ownership documents that did detail some of the internal program changes/benefits they had been telling me about (and that are referenced generally in my sales contract). Since no one else on TUG has yet stated they have also seen any documentation, I accept my statements on these new owner benefits is speculation also for posting purposes (for now). However, having seen documents that back up what I was told, it's no longer speculation for me.
@kds4.... I realize this thread, that you intended to be about changes coming to the existing MVC program structure, quickly got away from you and turned into Marriott/Vistana/Hyatt "system merger" speculation (and even the title of the thread got changed on you), but circling back to your original intent which I quoted above, we are now in the month of October, the month you indicated where changes were coming .....curious to see if any big announcement comes regarding changes to the existing MVC system as we know it today (not "system merger" related), including a formal points buy back program, enhanced offerings for retail purchased Trust points, etc.

Is it just coincidence that for the last 2 days, this link (the one linked via the MVC site) to Owner Benefits no longer works..... could it be in the process of being updated.... or is it more likely just the typical IT failures of MVC... Hmmmmm..... ;-)
https://www.marriottvacationsworldwide.com/common/cms/mvc/pdfs/owners/Owner-Benefit-Level.pdf

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just attended 2 sales / owners update, last week at Hilton Head and this week at Myrtle Beach, and there is no new information on the merger and its impact to owners.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
@kds4.... I realize this thread, that you intended to be about changes coming to the existing MVC program structure, quickly got away from you and turned into Marriott/Vistana/Hyatt "system merger" speculation (and even the title of the thread got changed on you), but circling back to your original intent which I quoted above, we are now in the month of October, the month you indicated where changes were coming .....curious to see if any big announcement comes regarding changes to the existing MVC system as we know it today (not "system merger" related), including a formal points buy back program, enhanced offerings for retail purchased Trust points, etc.

Is it just coincidence that for the last 2 days, this link (the one linked via the MVC site) to Owner Benefits no longer works..... could it be in the process of being updated.... or is it more likely just the typical IT failures of MVC... Hmmmmm..... ;-)
https://www.marriottvacationsworldwide.com/common/cms/mvc/pdfs/owners/Owner-Benefit-Level.pdf

The rep told us owner emails about Destination Club changes/enhancements would be going out in October to existing MVC owners. The points buyback/exit strategy option was the main one. We'll have to wait and see if/when anything shows up. As far as any merger related changes, we'll have to see if the investor's call on 10/4 provides any insights.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
The rep told us owner emails about Destination Club changes/enhancements would be going out in October to existing MVC owners. The points buyback/exit strategy option was the main one. We'll have to wait and see if/when anything shows up.
October is quickly slipping away. Do you remain confident that what you were shown was legit, or are you starting to fear it was simply a sales tactic? Your level of concern must be ramping up a bit. I know mine would be. Hopefully you are still at peace with your purchase even if what you were told/shown never comes to fruition.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
October is quickly slipping away. Do you remain confident that what you were shown was legit, or are you starting to fear it was simply a sales tactic? Your level of concern must be ramping up a bit. I know mine would be. Hopefully you are still at peace with your purchase even if what you were told/shown never comes to fruition.

We're at peace regardless. While we had contemplated moving to CC at some point anyway and didn't go into debt for this purchase, we would be disappointed if we were shown fraudulent documents by an MVCI salesperson. A points buyback program is the main benefit we are interested in and the sales contract from this purchase does reference MVCI's intent to establish/operate a "resignation/resale program for Vacation Club Points Owners" (which is a representation that was made to us and shown in greater detail on the documents we reviewed). I guess (as with many things), time will tell and as they say, YMMV.