• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Family outraged after a Universal character made 'OK' symbol on 6-year-old's shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is all new to me, too. I seldom use the sign, but will if it is appropriate with a specific person I am communicating with. However, in this case it was clearly used for a planned purpose. Not to care is to condone hate however sneakily it is spewed. It is also wrong to assign racism every time OK is used, since most people use it to mean just that - something is ok, it's fine. This incident became a teachable moment. I wish the character actor could be outed. Maybe the people in his/her community would benefit knowing their mindset. One of those clues to future bad behavior.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Who knew, not me. Before watching the video, I was like really, the ok symbol is now off limits, what’s next.

The video shows an intentional act. Definitely looked more like a “P” symbol as opposed to an ok symbol. Despicable. He was fired as he should have been.

The little girl was 7 and on the autism spectrum.

I can understand how this has disturbed her parents. I do have an issue though with the mother saying:

I've been emotionally distraught about it. I'm still pretty upset that someone felt they needed to do this to children," Tiffiney Zinger said. "It can cause emotional stress on my child and her development."

I agree until the very last line. The parents control what if any information they give their child. As a parent there is no way I would make a big deal out of this to the daughter, if they do they are the ones hurting her.

My children our Jewish and we lived very close to a famous “Purpose Driven” entity. Both my children were confronted by their “friends” regarding their beliefs. They were hurt for a day as children because of the way I handled it. But you better believe I was furious then and have lasting feelings on the teachings related to said incident. Hate comes in all forms. I made sure my children’s stress and developmental impact was minimal.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Wow! What about hailing a cab? Or pointing out directions to someone? Or referees and umpires? We may all need to start wearing gloves at all times!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just want to make clear that my response was to easyrider’s post about stealing fingerprints and not in any way meant to disparage the family in the article. My username obviously tells you I’m from Alabama and I’m well aware of our shameful history when it comes to racism. Since at least the age of 14 in 1968, when I started writing letters to the editor of the Birmingham News and wishing I could vote for Robert Kennedy, I’ve been fighting to change my state. I believe that white supremacy, racism, any form of discrimination is despicable. And when one of these despicable groups starts using any sign to promote their agenda, it is time for decent people to stop using that sign.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
This a good teaching moment for the parents of this girl. Many say that kids between the ages of 5 and 8 start to notice similarities and differences. They are old enough to understand social issues, but still young enough to adopt their parents’ belief systems but, only if the parents teach them.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am Asian American. I have never liked people calling me “oriental”. Oriental describes a type of rug. Something that people walk on.

This is one I used as a kid. I am old now. I was surprised to hear it was considered offensive, but have never used it since. Sometimes the right thing to do doesn't depend on your opinion of something.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I am Asian American. I have never liked people calling me “oriental”. Oriental describes a type of rug. Something that people walk on.
I never got offended being called Oriental. It obviously depends on the person. I’ve been called chin* though.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

I grew up in Gardena, CA which had a large Japanese population. We were more likely to refer to our friends as Japanese than Oriental, although Oriental was in wide usage and was not at all meant to be disparaging. I probably became aware of the "switch" to Asian about 20 years ago. We tend to eventually end up on NPR on long car trips to AZ and NM. A few years ago we heard an Asian comic, born and raised in Hawaii, do a routine about trying to get his 80 year old father to switch to referring to himself and family as Asian and not Oriental, it was quite amusing.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey, I understand. All I was saying is back when I was a kid in Philadelphia we used what today would be considered racial slurs to identify each other. For example I was often referred to as "White Boy". No way in today's world can I post other examples here. And believe me no one (and I emphasize absolutely no one) took any offense. I'll give you an example. We would be playing baseball and designating the position each of us would play. In my case it would be "White boy is on third (base)". I'll leave it to your imagination what the others were. If I posted them here my post would be deleted in a nano second. But I emphasize no one cared. We were all friends and no one took any offense. It was just the way we communicated and identified each other...

George

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Times change, things change. Some for good, perhaps some not so good, some I may not understand personally... but if certain actions are offensive to a group, I'm okay changing those actions.

Remember when real food was available on airplanes, you could take a bottle of water thru airport security, smoking was allowed in offices (and almost everywhere) and not every kid got a trophy?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
I saw the photo and thought “Gru” could have just let his hand fall naturally on the shoulder. Then I watched the video and IMO he appears to make an effort to put his hand into that position.

This guy is lucky that his identity will likely never be known. So many people doing or saying stupid things on viral video has them being slammed by the public. This guy deserves the same.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Funny story when my 20 yo daughter was in preschool she was friends with a little boy. Back then she named everything based on her own personal experience ie her blond girl friend was lello girl ( as in yellow ), she had a pocket dress etc. Her little boy friend she called her chocolate prince. I about died the first time she called him by her nickname in front of his mother. I was tripping over my tongue trying to explain why she called him that, turns out his mother loved the nickname and we both still call him the chocolate prince.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I just want to make clear that my response was to easyrider’s post about stealing fingerprints and not in any way meant to disparage the family in the article. My username obviously tells you I’m from Alabama and I’m well aware of our shameful history when it comes to racism. Since at least the age of 14 in 1968, when I started writing letters to the editor of the Birmingham News and wishing I could vote for Robert Kennedy, I’ve been fighting to change my state. I believe that white supremacy, racism, any form of discrimination is despicable. And when one of these despicable groups starts using any sign to promote their agenda, it is time for decent people to stop using that sign.

I wholeheartedly disagree. This gives power to these evil people. They could then adopt all sorts of everyday words, symbols, and gestures, that good people are now forbidden from using. What if these scum start using hugs, or kisses as their symbols? We all have to stop hugging and kissing?

Just like the gay community embraced queer and fag to diminish it's negative power, we cannot kowtow to these racists, or other similar groups.

Use ok in its regular form, and you're doing nothing wrong imo.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score

You are 100% right. I am guilty of saying oriental a few times in the past before I knew better/no clue. I don't know where it came from. I must have heard others saying it. Now I correct others. I do say Asian now when I am referring to them.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the curious, in an OK sign, the tip of the thumb touches at or very close to the tip of the index finger, the other fingers following the index fingers' curve. In the WP 'sign', the thumb touches the last joint on the index finger, making a 'P' while the three other fingers splay out, making a 'W'.Jim

Thanks for the clarification Jim - and until this thread I had NO idea about any of this! So those of us who make a normal OK sign in an expected situation (e.g. divers) really don't need to worry about offending someone (let's hope). This crap DOES need to be called out, but I totally agree that the types of individuals using this sign may be dangerous to confront personally. Maybe more education and parents who catch their kids "playing along" need to have a long talk with them.

Klyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
This incident is disturbing. As a matter of fact, so are parts of this thread. This isn't simply about "hurt feelings" and to diminish it as such is disrespectful. Those of you who say you "don't care" or are not going to "give a crap" about such things, obviously have some thoughts about it or you would not have taken the time to comment. Should we all go back to the way things used to be? No, because the "good old days" were only good for some. Indigenous people were put on reservations, women could not vote, Japanese people were put in internment camps, black people were slaves. This is not about being PC or people being snowflakes. You don't have to see bruises to know that damage was done.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

What's offensive to you is, right or wrong, offensive. However, perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to demean the term "Oriental", to "rugs".

Giant drug corporations are always looking to patent any and all active compounds found in the herbal formulas that Orientals have been prescribing for millenniums. The World Health Organization and National Institutes of Health have long recognized the efficacy of acupuncture, a mainstream of Oriental medicine, in treating dozens of conditions.

Most states, as well as the District of Columbia, have laws and regulations for some of the practices of Oriental medicine. Also, most states require certification from the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.

Some of which.
A Masters and Doctoral Programs in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, which include:
Master of Acupuncture (MAC)
Master of Oriental Medicine (MOM)
Doctor of Acupuncture (DAC)
Doctor of Oriental Medicine (DOM)

We all need to understand that the term "Oriental" is not limited to "rugs"

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no issue with the use of Oriental but it is vague when used to describe a person as is Asian. We don't say European American so why do we say Asian American? There are many races and ethnic groups which are distinct from each other in Asia.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no issue with the use of Oriental but it is vague when used to describe a person as is Asian. We don't say European American so why do we say Asian American? There are many races and ethnic groups which are distinct from each other in Asia.

In 1915, while addressing the Knights of Columbus, former President Teddy Roosevelt said:

"There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else."

Words of wisdom? :ponder:

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never had an issue with "Oriental" and I am half-Asian. The only thing that used to bother me is someone would ask where I'm from. Uh, around here, born and raised in So Cal. But yes, I know what they mean or at least think I do.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We don't say European American so why do we say Asian American? There are many races and ethnic groups which are distinct from each other in Asia.

I have a good Caucasian friend from California who is married to a Taiwanese National woman. They live and work in Taiwan, but travel internationally quite often. She refers to herself when in the USA as Asian American. He speaks fluent Mandarin, and is well integrated with Taiwan culture and society. He refers to himself as American Asian.

Be careful with labels - some are quite sticky, and hard to remove. :)

Dave

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I wholeheartedly disagree. This gives power to these evil people. They could then adopt all sorts of everyday words, symbols, and gestures, that good people are now forbidden from using. What if these scum start using hugs, or kisses as their symbols? We all have to stop hugging and kissing?

Just like the gay community embraced queer and fag to diminish it's negative power, we cannot kowtow to these racists, or other similar groups.

Use ok in its regular form, and you're doing nothing wrong imo.

I actually agree with you philosophically. If we could somehow drown them out, it would be great. I’m just afraid that isn’t realistic when it is so easy for these people to use others good or neutral intentions and co-opt them to spread their hate. After all, the video in the OPs post is of a child and her family with a cartoon character. It doesn’t get any more innocent than that. Yet, the racist under the costume got their message out.

You do make a very good point about the gay community but those words are still used by many as derogatory terms. I guess I would just err on the side of caution. Doesn’t mean I’m right and you’re wrong. I totally understand and respect your opinion.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I have never had an issue with "Oriental" and I am half-Asian. The only thing that used to bother me is someone would ask where I'm from. Uh, around here, born and raised in So Cal. But yes, I know what they mean or at least think I do.

Me too. Japanese and Russian parents. Moms from Japan and dads from Alaska while it was still Russia. Oddly, people often ask where I am from especially when we travel. It doesn't bother me. Its often a great conversation starter. I use to say the USA but its more fun to say Alaska or Hawaii which often lead to big stories. Never cared about the terms Oriental or Asian as I have heard them both to describe me which is a good description I guess.

Bill

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Should we all go back to the way things used to be?

I don't advocate going back to the way things used to be. My post was just to point out that there was a time when sensitivity was not the issue it is today...

George

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that symbol was white supreme. I am white and in a massage school where white people make up about 25% of the students. When I am being worked on and the student working on me asks if the pressure is okay, I often use that sign. Nobody has said anything to me about it and I had no idea. I am going to bring it up when we have open discussion in my next class. I could have offended lots of people who I care about...

Status
Not open for further replies.