• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New timeshare development Massanutten

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the only timeshare resort in Virginia that is still building timeshare units at their resort and this a major building project.

This is for current owners at the resort to upgrade to these new units. Upgrade!

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
The bigger they get, the worse they get. I know- I own at Smugglers Notch.

How about they just develop a "take back" program for current owners who want out and update their older units?!

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just what we need:rolleyes:.

I will be willing to bet that the reason is to try and get the regal vista(and other) owners to upgrade to the new improved super excellent new upscale new units. Did I mention new. I talked to two different owners in the hot tub there that had upgraded twice after the original purchase to get into regal vista. Another had upgraded once. It is scary to think what their total cost was. From my very limited anecdotal experience it seems that a very significant amount of sales are of upgrades and not new owners. Does anyone have an idea of how many units are managed by the resort?

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just what we need:rolleyes:.

I will be willing to bet that the reason is to try and get the regal vista(and other) owners to upgrade to the new improved super excellent new upscale new units. Did I mention new. I talked to two different owners in the hot tub there that had upgraded twice after the original purchase to get into regal vista. Another had upgraded once. It is scary to think what their total cost was. From my very limited anecdotal experience it seems that a very significant amount of sales are of upgrades and not new owners. Does anyone have an idea of how many units are managed by the resort?

I should have read the article first. It will only be sold as an upgrade!!!!!!!!

How much would you like to bet that there will be great packages sold as a package. Your initial Summit ownership and the new upgrade for a convenient price.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose one upside is it means they are financially healthy. Apparently, according to the presentation, Regal Vistas was their best selling product, and these are going up quick.

You combine this with upgrading every Woodstone and Summit and it seems like gearing up for long haul.

My question is, what happens to Eagle Trace, and Shenandoah Villas that are on the low end of the Maint and demand curve? They already can’t give them away, don’t trade well, and have a lot of dues arrears and foreclosures. Can Eagle Trace liquidate while they are building new units?

Also, does anyone know how successful the hotels are? The built a lot of them.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were just in an Eagle Trace. It needs some updating but everything worked and was clean. No evidence of neglect. I would assume at some point the overbuild has to be addressed. I find it hard to believe they can sell the old units at this point.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
What I find amazing is I live in N Virginia and work in DC and no one who lives in Virginia, DC, or Maryland seems to have ever heard of a Massanutten....even folk been here there whole life.

Was there for part of Christmas week and most of New Years week. I know they were fully booked but the place is so huge, that other than some chokepoints on ski lifts or restaurants you wouldn’t know it.

The seem to have so much availability on RCI but I’ve always wondered if that is an illusion because many owners trade their fixed week on RCI. Still a lot of last calls in the shoulders.

Apparently the area is growing. A lot of the subdivisions sprinkled in resort are JMU employees. I did do one update 6 months ago and the lady said they were finished developing (selling RCI points), yet this presentation already meant this wasn’t true.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great Eastern Springston LLC
to rezone a 95-acre portion of a 318-acre parcel
located on the south side of Massanutten Dr (private)
approx 1.3 miles west of Resort Drive
(Route 644 is the road coming in to the resort)

Only 15-18 units will be constructed each year
Access to the proposed 140 timeshare units @
Springston Regals will be from Massanutten Dr.

http://www.rockinghamcountyva.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/5260?fileID=5563

Last edited:

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Are these going to be sold as weekly timeshares, quarter-share, or whole ownership condos? The emphasis on real estate value and area impact (in the linked presentation pdf makes me wonder.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the presentation was for HOA owners in the various housing developments who have some ability to stop or delay or annoy developments.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
What I find amazing is I live in N Virginia and work in DC and no one who lives in Virginia, DC, or Maryland seems to have ever heard of a Massanutten....even folk been here there whole life.

I live in Northern VA and have been in DC area for 20+ years. First learned about the resort when spending time in the mountains 10+ years ago. First stayed in a hotel there 3 years ago after the resort donated a stay in the resort to be raffled off by our community association. Just bought a good deal at Woodstone in RCI points off a major reseller on eBay. When the paperwork came through, the seller lived about two miles away from me in northern VA. I am sure of the almost 3 million people in Northern VA many of them do not know about the resort.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oct 2019

Any updates regarding
new roads, construction,
development, prices or
opening date for

The Springston Project
@ Massanutten Resort

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a very, very large resort with some outstanding amenities. In years to come they may need HOV lanes for traffic congestion; with the many roads construction projects and the many housing development areas under construction & planning. LOL.

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
140 units in the style of Regal Vista except closer to the mountainside.

Here is link to presentation:

https://www.massresort.com/upload/photos/page_454_the-springston-project-updated-7-27-18.pdf
Yes 140 duplexes..I also have a home there. Great Eastern is slowly destroying the mountain atmosphere. They are clearing 75 acres of 100 year old trees, disgraceful. When we Incorporate into a Town by this time next year, that will be the end to Great Easterns building in the future. Right now GE is in bed with the County and Nuts on Massanutten Village. That all will change..By the way 140 duplexes in phase 1 or 280 actual 2bdrm 2 bath units or if 2 cars each unit another 560 cars..as I said that will be their last construction when Town of Massanutten is created..

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a very, very large resort with some outstanding amenities. In years to come they may need HOV lanes for traffic congestion; with the many roads construction projects and the many housing development areas under construction & planning. LOL.
We MPOA the homeowners own the main road Massanutten Drive...There will be no more lanes added..you can bet on it!! When we become Incorporated into a Town next year Great Easterns reign will end...

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
When we become Incorporated into a Town next year Great Easterns reign will end...

Reasons I am not holding my breath:

1) I suspect it will require a huge amount of energy, local dedication, and time to incorporate.

2) While the old saying goes “it is not easy fighting city hall,” my guess is the newly formed municipality would likely face a huge drain of resources fighting Great Eastern in either (or both) the court system or the VA General Assembly in Richmond.

Guess only time will tell. I look forward to checking in after a year and learning what has happened.

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reasons I am not holding my breath:

1) I suspect it will require a huge amount of energy, local dedication, and time to incorporate.

2) While the old saying goes “it is not easy fighting city hall,” my guess is the newly formed municipality would likely face a huge drain of resources fighting Great Eastern in either (or both) the court system or the VA General Assembly in Richmond.

Guess only time will tell. I look forward to checking in after a year and learning what has happened.
No it is easier than you think biggest obstacle is getting number of registered voters to sign petition..After that it should sail through General Assembly..others have done it some successful some not so we will keep our fingers crossed.. You should see first hand the devastation of Woodlands for new construction AND they cant sell the ones they have !!! The municipality's that last tried and lost, did so in the court system, that is why we are going General Assembly!!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
No it is easier than you think biggest obstacle is getting number of registered voters to sign petition..After that it should sail through General Assembly..others have done it some successful some not so we will keep our fingers crossed.. You should see first hand the devastation of Woodlands for new construction AND they cant sell the ones they have !!! The municipality's that last tried and lost, did so in the court system, that is why we are going General Assembly!!

Do you have the support of your local General Assembly Representatives (in The Senate & The House) in Richmond. VA . ? Good Luck.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you have the support of your local General Assembly Representatives (in The Senate & The House) in Richmond. VA . ? Good Luck.

Pretty good chance that Great Eastern has contributed to them and that Massanutten Resort is one of the top employers in their districts. And GE also owns resorts in other Virginia districts represented in the General Assembly (those members will not pay a constituent price if they object). Best of luck to you .... politics ain’t bean bag. I am just bringing up what I suspect is likely the case.

And once the new municipality starts to get its way through zoning or other regulation, it is to the courts or General Assembly again.

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pretty good chance that Great Eastern has contributed to them and that Massanutten Resort is one of the top employers in their districts. And GE also owns resorts in other Virginia districts represented in the General Assembly (those members will not pay a constituent price if they object). Best of luck to you .... politics ain’t bean bag. I am just bringing up what I suspect is likely the case.

And once the new municipality starts to get its way through zoning or other regulation, it is to the courts or General Assembly again.
Yes we are all set going to General Assembly..thanks for the good wishes.. GE is just getting too big for its britches..being a Town this time next year will put a big abrupt stop to their reign in Our Community...please note for 30 years there was a great relationship and GE contributed to their use of our community, roads,activities..somewhere they have lost their way !! Too bad !!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not know that GE is 100% owned by the employees of the company.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is quite a read. Seems like there is considerable divide in the community.

The author places considerable importance in there being a public police force there of 9 or 10 officers. Is it common to have a public police force located in a gated community that is 100% private property (even the roads)?

Town Incorporation of Massanutten
* A Feasibility Study (2019 Update)

http://www.townofmassanutten.org/2019-update

Last edited:

gumbow719

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is quite a read. Seems like there is considerable divide in the community.

The author places considerable importance in there being a public police force there of 9 or 10 officers. Is it common to have a public police force located in a gated community that is 100% private property (even the roads)?
YES, GE is also buying private homes in the community for the executives to use...doesnt say much for their timeshares